nytflyr

So, who is excited about ReaperCon 2017

1411 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, knarthex said:

17 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Almost to the one month countdown. Panick mode sets in.

It's only setting in now? 

No kidding.

1 person likes this

And over the weekend, my small diorama changed and I added 4 figures. :blink:

Why do we have crazy ideas like this when it seems too late to finish them?

And yet motivates us so that we MIGHT just finish it?!?

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Grayfax said:

And over the weekend, my small diorama changed and I added 4 figures. :blink:

Why do we have crazy ideas like this when it seems too late to finish them?

And yet motivates us so that we MIGHT just finish it?!?

A crazy idea doesn't make it good though. Really look at the 4 figures you are adding, do they really help the story you are trying to tell? Put all the minis in roughly the configuration you want and see how well they tell the story. Is it easy to follow or are you confusing the viewer. Start removing miniatures until you lose the story put that one back and now you have the right number. Remember, that visually, humans like odd numbers.

4 people like this

Just now, Heisler said:

A crazy idea doesn't make it good though. Really look at the 4 figures you are adding, do they really help the story you are trying to tell? Put all the minis in roughly the configuration you want and see how well they tell the story. Is it easy to follow or are you confusing the viewer. Start removing miniatures until you lose the story put that one back and now you have the right number. Remember, that visually, humans like odd numbers.

Yep, I agree and thanks for voicing this.  I was talking about this with my Mentor.  I was going for adding a single other figure.  I had already been painting the goblins to work on blending colors and she recommended adding them to the mix against the ogre.  There will be five figures.  Three in front of Ogre, one behind.  If it won't work, they will be cut, but if I only had two in front of the ogre it would look odd because there are an even number of figures.  There is good eye contact as well.  Only time will tell on the rest of it.   

4 people like this

I am at the point with my painter's entries where I hate everything and I am resisting the urge to scrap everything and start fresh. Luckily I know this is just a phase that I need to push through. 

12 people like this

Yup, at the I hate it and it's the worst phase as well. I also had a bad group of painting days and really mucked up on of my entries :(

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Bathory said:

Yup, at the I hate it and it's the worst phase as well. I also had a bad group of painting days and really mucked up on of my entries :(

Terrible. Hope it is salvageable. I spent a solid hour trying to do a pair of eyes. Just kept getting it wrong over and over. Gave up and then the next session got them adequate on the first try.

Should try to convince Bryan to get a sculptor to create a small square metal plate with as many pairs of eyes on it as possible. I can see it being an excellent practice tool. Paint 20 pairs of eyes, then into the Simple Green for a soak.

6 people like this

Yeah, eyes are so frustrating, test eyes would be pretty great! They could be made in different scales all on one test strip :) 

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Terrible. Hope it is salvageable. I spent a solid hour trying to do a pair of eyes. Just kept getting it wrong over and over. Gave up and then the next session got them adequate on the first try.

Should try to convince Bryan to get a sculptor to create a small square metal plate with as many pairs of eyes on it as possible. I can see it being an excellent practice tool. Paint 20 pairs of eyes, then into the Simple Green for a soak.

33 minutes ago, Bathory said:

Yeah, eyes are so frustrating, test eyes would be pretty great! They could be made in different scales all on one test strip :) 

It's called the Faceless Horror. IIRC, there are over a hundred eyes in varying sizes on that thing.

8 people like this

4 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

I am at the point with my painter's entries where I hate everything and I am resisting the urge to scrap everything and start fresh. Luckily I know this is just a phase that I need to push through. 

I get that too. Some minis just look like crud no matter what you do, and you know that they'll keep looking like crud until you pass some magical threshold and it suddenly starts looking like a warship, or whatever you're painting. All you can do is power through until you reach that stage.

Note: If you're painting an elf and it starts looking like an aircraft carrier, that might actually be a sign to start over. Or to stop drinking the paint water.

7 people like this

8 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

Good, I'm glad it's not just me. I currently think I'm making every figure I'm working on worse the longer I work on it.

5 people like this

The week over to the western & central side of my state has been a blessing as far as painting. Right before we left last Friday I was starting to experience painter's block & I hadn't paint anything but some small details on 1 mini along coloring on a base on anther, for the week leading up to Friday. 

While I won't be home till Thursday night & I'm having a great time (love this side of the state) I'm eager to get back to the desk & paint again! 

2 people like this

On 9/9/2017 at 7:52 PM, LittleBluberry said:

Mine too!  ^_^

So it looks like the auction starts at 2pm and our flight leaves at 6:55pm.  How long is the auction, usually?  I don't want to miss the flight home but I feel like there should probably be enough time to catch the auction before leaving for the airport...  :unsure: 

We were out of there by 4:30 last year to go have dinner with our friends in Dallas.  I took that into consideration with my flight times out on Sunday :)

I'll just need to make sure we leave enough room in the suitcase just in case I get another paint caddy full of paint in the auction.. 

FYI: Always happy to go halfsies on paint with my Reaperbucks.. 

4 people like this

I'm hoping for the River mousepad (if they continue with mousepads).

i always give my tokens away, we never go back to the convention on sunday since we fly out so early

though one year you did get me a Kraken towel which i still treasure, Pcktlnt

6 people like this