Lorathorn

To base, or not to base

40 posts in this topic

So, I've been doing a decent amount of painting of my Reaper 1 kickstarter miniatures, and I've been starting to wonder if I need to base them at all.

Mind you, I don't knock the pleasure in making an especially lovely base, but I intend to have these for tabletop play, and they seem to be intentionally made to stand without a base. Even the larger creatures are basically made to stand upright (or all fours, or whatever).

I think I might HAVE to base my jabberwocky, since he's a bit unsteady.

What do you guys think? Do you base your bones minis? Which minis have proven to be difficult to stand without a base? Inquiring minds want to know.

3 people like this

Because I mix minis from many manufacturers and eras, I do base mine. I've taken to using round bases in one inch increments to be consistent with the many pre-painted figures out there. But it's really just a personal choice, no right or wrong way.

2 people like this

Any advice on bases? I had to buy my first batch from Games Workshop, but I'm somewhat tempted to get a few from the base boss pledge manager. I do have some metal minis that might benefit from a base.

I have painted a fair number of bones for tabletop and I have found that even though they stand on their own their lighter weight means they fall over a lot when the table gets bumped.  I base most of my single human sized figures on metal washers which I buy from the hardware store in 100 count boxes for about $5.  That gives them a nice weight and they fit on hex and grid maps. 

6 people like this

Any advice on bases? I had to buy my first batch from Games Workshop, but I'm somewhat tempted to get a few from the base boss pledge manager. I do have some metal minis that might benefit from a base.

I think their regular bases are in the store if the PM doesn't suit you.

I have not been basing my quick paint figures. I have a 45 minute speed painted lizard man that I emergency based at ReaperCon that I then decided to not enter because of the mold line (which I realized too late could have held up some static grass and been hidden completely). Anything that I want to really mark with a giant COMPLETE sign in my head gets a fully finished base. I'm now going to make this post worthless by saying that gaming figures can go either direction you want.

2 people like this

Really small things (goblins, kobolds, rats, etc.) have been fine without a base but I do agree that anything human-sized tends to be tippy.  Most of the time I've been gluing the integral base onto one of the 1" round bases that came with Bones 2, how much work needs to go into that is up for debate but the harder plastic doesn't tip as easily.  As someone else said, Reaper currently has large sets of plastic bases in the sizes that were produced for Bones 2 that are very affordable. 

2 people like this

I've only started, so I don't think I realized how tippy they may get. I still have those GW bases to use.

Hmm... maybe that base boss thing is the way to go. Anyone else here doing the base boss thing?

Also, what is the best adhesive to apply a mini to a base? I know that people have lots of suggestions on gluing bone to bone (so to speak) but I don't know that I've seen bone to base glue suggestions.

1 person likes this

Super glue works great for gluing Bones to other plastics. 

And here on the forum you will likely find a lot of people who are participating in the Base Boss KS.  (Myself included.)  ^_^

2 people like this

To base or not to base is a matter of stability for me. If it stands on it's own i don't base if it doesn't or is wobbly i do. Unless I'm feeling exceptionally motivated and then I might base it regardless.

2 people like this

I usually mount minis on similar sized bases according to the minis size, but sometimes the bases just get the slot filled in or covered and the base gets painted black.

2 people like this

I base about 99% of my figs. As most are tabletop standard for use in various games I also cut off the brocolli. Not all of mine get the full basing treatment right away, but I have them ready to go for when I feel inspired to do so.

1 person likes this

Currently I use fender washers to give Bones minis some weight, and the Reaper plastic bases for metal minis. Now that clear acrylic bases are readily available I want to use those, but then the pre-painted minis would either not match or require more work.

1 person likes this

For the people that use washers, do you dress them up at all? And does the superglue stick to the metal washers pretty decently?

1 person likes this

My answer is: It depends.

Lately, for human/elf type minis, I've been basing on the 1" RPG bases Reaper makes.  This makes for some nice consistency when using those figures for RPGs or Wargaming.   But a lot of my monster/horde type figures, such as my Trolls or Kobolds, i haven't bothered to base. 

2 people like this

For the people that use washers, do you dress them up at all? And does the superglue stick to the metal washers pretty decently?

I use washer for basically all my human sized minis so I can transport them in boxes that have their bottoms lined with magnetic strips. 

I use a sanded grout to give a bit of texture and so I can blend the base with whatever base the mini has (since I have various metal and plastic minis this can vary from broccoli to flat to no base at all).  Then I paint that, apply flock and whatever tufts or rocks or other basing material I want to use.

Superglue works well.  The only time it's doubtful is if the mini has no base and there isn't much contact between the feet and the washer.   Which reminds me, if the mini doesn't have a base, I apply the grout to the washer while it's sitting on wax paper and then paint when dry.  Then the mini gets put onto that.

1 person likes this