Clearman

Wet Pallet Issues

My first go with a wet pallet was a DIY build made from a sandwich container.  It worked, but I didn't like the height.  I also like the increased work area provided by the Master.

I'm going to try the oven method this evening.

The mold thing has only happened to me once. But it was enough for me to swear off them until I heard about using a little copper in the bottom of the Palette.

Yeahhhh my first wet p....second we...okay so its technically my second wet pallete still. The foam molded HORRIBLY. Like dear God salt the earth and don't use it again!

So I threw out the foam, bought another and spares. Cleaned it and soaked the container in bleach. Cleaned it thoroughly and went penny hunting. Found some of the oldest pennies I could and haven't had a problem for the past 5 months with mold. I also make sure to squeeze out as much excess water as I can every day or two.

I did the food container thing for wet pallets. It sat too high from the table and couldn't seal water very well but it was good to learn with.

• Like 2

I've mirgrated back to my masterson wet pallet after a while with a makeshift smaller one.  I used the smaller one with paper towels and it worked well for me.  I'm currently on the hunt for older pennies since I've had that nasty problem recently.

• Like 1

Would you believe I forgot about Trick-or-Treat last night.  It's in the oven now...

Edit -

I let the water/pallet heat for about 90 minutes.  That seemed long, but I'm not sure the water ever actually reached its boiling point.  There were small bubbles, but nothing that I would call boiling.

Anyway, when I checked it, the bottom of the pallet looked like it had returned to a flat state.  It is currently in the cool-down phase.  So far, so good!

Edited by hdclearman
  • Like 2

Success!!!

Took things out of the oven this morning and the pallet was perfectly flat.  The lid also made a tighter seal, so bonus!

Thank you everyone.

• Like 4

Sweet! I'm glad everything worked out for you. This group is a font of useful information, suggestions and ideas.

Then again, we can be a font of useless information at times as well. Particularly, the Beekeepers section :upside:

• Like 1

I soak mine in a rimmed baking sheet (the kind you make cookies with).

Just make sure its aluminum and not a cheap steel one or it will be rust city.

It only needs to soak for about a half hour to flatten the paper, the water won't stay hot long anyway.

It should not be any more likely to rust than if you soaked it in the sink before hand washing it.