Grayfax

Zombicide Black Plague WIP

20 posts in this topic

Zombicide Black Plague

63 Zombie Figures (No Necromancer, No Abomination, No Heroes)

Date Range: Nov. 18th through 27th

I will be prepping these miniatures so that I can begin painting after work on Friday Nov. 18th.  I have taken off the entire week of Thanksgiving.  Some of which will be spent with my family (24th - 26th) as my brother lives all the way across the state and we meet at my parents house every year for Thanksgiving.  I will try to keep the ones I paint in the range of the 24th - 28th for the Paint Binge Challenge.

VnYTElUl.jpg

As I only have 3 of the Bonus Challenge colors, I will still attempt to use them on several figures:

09279 Fresh Blood

09275 Vampiric Skin

XXXXX October Pink

These will be painted to tabletop specifications and I plan to use some ink washes on them as they are basic zombies.

Will begin posting photos of progress on these guys on Friday the 18th.  That round may not be super exciting as it will be the primer for them but it should pick up speed after that.  As I usually use a ceramic tile to dry my figures on, I can already tell that is going to be an issue with these, so I will pick up a cheap cookie sheet (or two) so I can spread these guys out a bit and make it easier to move them around.  I will also have to clear some shelf space as I don't currently have enough for all of these guys to fit in one location and be protected from the two cats that terrorize the house while we are away.

Edited by Grayfax
16 people like this

This should be pretty cool when you're done. I'm looking forward to seeing them come together.

1 person likes this

Mmm zombie goodness! You can do it!

1 person likes this

I approve of this. 

If you want some interesting inspiration check out Sorastro's Youtube videos on painting these guys. I don't utilize all his techniques, but I really enjoy watching him paint. And he's great for inspiration. 

2 people like this

I approve of this. 

If you want some interesting inspiration check out Sorastro's Youtube videos on painting these guys. I don't utilize all his techniques, but I really enjoy watching him paint. And he's great for inspiration. 

I'm a big fan of Sorastro.  I'm not going for that level of detail on these guys though.  Basic color schemes.  At some point, I expect to get another set of the Black Plague and work on doing some more flamboyant styles, but not for this go around.

2 people like this

After working on cleaning mold lines on the first 8, I needed a break so I pulled out two of the earlier modern Zombicide figures so I could test primer versus liner.

Front and Back of Test Figures:

gheqvxil.jpg

EDPpLecl.jpg

The lady with the Brown Liner is hard to see, but it was a very smooth application where the Brush-On Primer was a bit streakier and even going over most of the figure twice it was not as even as the Brown Liner.  Both of these were undiluted.

Ok, that answers that question.  Might still pick up the Liner Triad to test different colors underneath some of these but the Liner goes on as well on the Zombicide plastics as it does the Bonesium.  I'll save the Brush-On for the Metal figures.

7 people like this

With one week to go until the start, I have been prepping and prepping and prepping.  The new seam scraper is helping a lot on these guys.  I've also been getting my thinner x-acto into smaller and smaller curves with more confidence... though not perfect yet, but getting better.  I'm also really enjoying the burnishing tool I got.  I can really only use the smallest tip and it is fairly pointy, but it can really smooth out what gets roughed up by the seam scraper.  I'm noticing a sore spot below my right shoulder blade from applying pressure with this burnishing tool and will be glad when I finish the last 31.  Until then, Icy Hot stick to the rescue!

Was glad to get past the halfway mark in prep work last night and looking forward to putting primer on next week!  Then we'll start seeing more pictures...

4 people like this

I can't wait to see how your zombies come out. Really looking forward to seeing them. I'm impressed with you for going after the mold lines. I gave up after the first 20. *shame*

I don't know how you feel about spray primers but I tried using three different primers on my Z:BP zombies: P3, Armory, and Krylon ultra flat camouflage w fusion. The Krylon was by far the best of the three. It's amazing for these plastic minis. It bonds super hard, drys fast, doesn't leave dust (unlike the two others I tried) and paint seems to really like it. 

I've used Army Painter spray primer on the modern version of these guys.  It works pretty well when the atmosphere cooperates... as I'm sure you have similar conditions, the humidity is the biggest factor.  I have had one batch that did really well.  My last batch was very gritty.  Having played with the Reaper Brown Liner on the Bones, and testing it on the pieces above, I like that I can apply it regardless of what the weather is doing outside.  It goes on pretty quickly (not as fast as spray, but you don't have to mount them so it's not so bad), evenly and I like what it is doing.

As for mold lines, I must say, I have learned a lot about mold lines now that I am down to my last 13.  These guys won't be perfect.  But as I did so many back to back to back, I realized that there were so many folds in cloth on these guys and that I needed to learn how to deal with that.  I am back to mostly doing these with an x-acto knife and have improved my accuracy substantially... at the cost of speed.  The first half though, I'm not looking back at them... there are still too many mold lines there, but after the last ten or so, I believe I am now ready to clean the heroes I have never done on any of the Zombicide games.  I still need to learn to gap fill (poor Nelly).  

When I get to the painting phase, we'll see how that goes.  I know I'll have some that turn out better than others, I'm just hoping that with the cloth on these I can push myself further towards what Sorastro does with striping and accents on the cloth pieces and bases.  

3 people like this

Out of 63 basic zombies, 13 had not been worked on for mold line removal.  In looking at them tonight, 10 were moved back to the "go over mold lines again" pile and the other 40 were primered brown linered:

RZi9jXUl.jpg

We'll see actual paint tomorrow... er... um... later today I mean.

Edited by Grayfax
11 people like this

I am very anxious to see your work on these. I haven't started painting mine, but want to.

1 person likes this

Wooo, another person goes bonkers and tries to do a crazy amount of painting in an unreasonable time frame! :bday::lol:

Really looking forward to seeing how these guys turn out. Good luck!!! ^_^

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

2 people like this

*** Takes position on the floor before the comfy couch ( Robinh will kick me off the couch anyway) holding a platter of bacon, cheese and salami, a bottle of Merlot to go with it***

Go Go Go !!!

1 person likes this

***  Takes rightful position on the couch  ****

You can beat this, they are undead after all and move slowly!

Life, and the people in it have a way of changing plans.  Granted, Friday night was a good night, but suddenly staying up till 2:30 am played havoc with me a bit on Saturday.  And then plans happened that I was not anticipating which occupied a lot of time on Saturday and some on Sunday.  

I did get some skin painted on a few of these guys... here's where it looks on a sampling of them.  

AGkkFLTl.jpg

I have been working on thinner layers and was all in the zone when suddenly I realized I had just put three thin layers of skin on these guys... which would be great, but is much slower than I need to be going.  I was happy with how it was going on though, so this is good for other things, but the Zombies must rise.

Today, I spent time finishing some projects that needed doing at the house and have plans to plough through a lot of these guys later tonight and on tomorrow.  Once I get past skin, I will post some more pictures.

I'm also thinking of cleaning 5 more of the 23 not yet finished and dousing them with blue liner to see what I can do with skin tone for them.  Especially if I go over it with thin layers of the green or possibly VMC Sky Blue.  Then I could do some glowing blue / white eyes for that set.  

9 people like this