Heisler

MSP Open Judging - What you were afraid to ask

It's worthwhile to note that judging any form of art has this problem.  I come from the world of dance, and I've been privy to similar conversations.  The Olympics has their problems judging things like figure skating and gymnastic routines.  Judging anything in a subjective manner has these issues.  It's not like we have mini-painting death match (and no, that's not a challenge for next year's ReaperCon!). 

Heisler has written a really good piece, and hopefully competitors will take the words to heart. 

• Like 3

I didn't participate in the competitions this year. But I do have a question:

- Does the detail level of the mini itself have a noticeable impact? In this sense I mean comparing a Reaper metal cast mini vs a Reaper Bones mini whose details are not as pronounced or sharp as its metal counterpart. Some of the original Bones 1 models (i.e. the Noseless Horrors) are literally disfigured right out of the box. In other words, what if you got an ugly mini?

And I'm also grateful to see everyone else here on the boards discuss their own results and what they learned:

- Push the contrasts even more! No, even more than that. MORE, I SAY!

- Consider the light source when taking the contrast into account. Usually brighter at the top of the model, and darker on the ground level.

- Smooooooth blendings.

- And you've just mentioned thin paint fares better than thick paint.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

Very interesting, Thanks for posting this Heisler. A lot to think on for us who enter reaper or any other competition.

• Like 3

Well put, Kris.

As someone with a fair bit of experience in both judging and being judged in a variety of arts, little of this is a surprise...but it's incredibly good information to have laid out in plain terms.

I think the only time I've disagreed with any judging I've received at Rcon has been...well, every time I've entered, the judges have chosen a piece other than the one I expected them to judge. But the scores I've received have been pretty in line with my expectations.

Thanks for putting this up for the forums!

• Like 5

Hmmmm.......

You mention training the judges how to score an entry. I'm curious if you have a specific set of painted figures you use to visually provide an example of each "level" of painting for the judges to reference while training or during the scoring of the entries?

• Like 1

I didn't participate in the competitions this year. But I do have a question:

- Does the detail level of the mini itself have a noticeable impact? In this sense I mean comparing a Reaper metal cast mini vs a Reaper Bones mini whose details are not as pronounced or sharp as its metal counterpart. Some of the original Bones 1 models (i.e. the Noseless Horrors) are literally disfigured right out of the box. In other words, what if you got an ugly mini?

And I'm also grateful to see everyone else here on the boards discuss their own results and what they learned:

- Push the contrasts even more! No, even more than that. MORE, I SAY!

- Consider the light source when taking the contrast into account. Usually brighter at the top of the model, and darker on the ground level.

- Smooooooth blendings.

- And you've just mentioned thin paint fares better than thick paint.

This is a tough question. A well cast and detailed piece is just easier to paint and its likely just going to be easy to achieve good results on. Its really hard to do competition level work on a piece that is less well defined casting. The round about answer is yes, you can do well with an ugly mini but you have to be willing to do the work and its going to take more work than a well cast piece. Beyond the dragons there were a number of Bones minis in the competition that did very well this year. Except for possibly the youth entries you probably couldn't have told the difference unless you knew about it. I have scored 1st place trophies with some less than stellar historical miniatures over the years so it can certainly be done.

• Like 5

Pfft, a poorly molded model is a great opportunity to be creative. Have a really ugly dent in the thigh of a giant from the metal not settling? Instant scar.

I wonder if there are kudos for cover ups like that.

• Like 6

Hmmmm.......

You mention training the judges how to score an entry. I'm curious if you have a specific set of painted figures you use to visually provide an example of each "level" of painting for the judges to reference while training or during the scoring of the entries?

Its not training in the same way that you are thinking. Its more about making sure they have an open mind about techniques and the quality of work. For instance Banshee's blending style (a European painter for those of you unfamiliar with his work) is quite loose and is not the same smooth blending that so many of us try to achieve. If we had figures to consult against we would have to select an artist to paint those figures and then we would be boxing ourselves into that artist's style for everything. So the whole thing is rather nebulous. Or we would have to go to some kind of check of system like GW uses to get through their first cut judging. Did they use more than three colors on the base, did they use more than three colors on the mini, etc. If I had example figures I would have to have one for almost every technique you could think of, that would be a lot of minis!

I think the hardest thing to train or teach  judges, especially when we first introduce this judging style at Reaper Con, is that there can be more than one gold medal. There is that first impulse to equate gold with 1st place and that is not the case in an Open competition. If there are 49 gold medals in the room then we will give out 49 gold medals. We can reward those painters that have shown the skills to paint at that level and not have to narrow it down to the top three, when we do that then we have to look at what a painter did wrong more than what they did right. We have to enlighten judges to the concept that just because they don't like a technique like drybrushing that it is still a valid technique and when its done well it should be rewarded. When you are wavering between a bronze and silver or a silver and a gold either go with the higher score or have a consult on the piece with another judge. Formal training is just not an option for us which is why we like judges to be instructors first and see how they can handle a class of students before we throw them to the wolves.

• Like 7

Pfft, a poorly molded model is a great opportunity to be creative. Have a really ugly dent in the thigh of a giant from the metal not settling? Instant scar.

I wonder if there are kudos for cover ups like that.

If you covered it up that well, how would we know? So no, no specific kudos on something like that unless a judge was familiar enough with the piece to know what kind of effort it took to get a medal with it. And if you entered it in painters that would really fall into the prep work side of things and wouldn't have a huge affect on the score anyway.

Any by the way those percentages we show are just guidelines to keep the judges on track. So if a judge know a piece was a tough to paint up its still going to be judge, primarily, on your paintwork not your prep work.

• Like 4

Thanks a ton for posting this, Kris!  As a first time full-judge this year (after serving my apprenticeship last year), I can really say that we are all trying our best not to let any of our own personal prejudices negatively affect our scores; we want to see folks leveling up!

As far as techniques/styles go, I may say something like "too much gloss sealant is detracting from this mini" or "the drybrushing appears a little chalky" or something else along those lines, but pretty much every technique/style (I'm lumping them together on purpose) does have its place if executed well.  The trick is, I'm always leery of the "that's just my style" statement, which can sometimes come across as an excuse to use a familiar (but maybe not most appropriate) technique rather than a valid artistic defense.  Heck, I feel like I do the same thing at times when I may choose to avoid adding some wear and tear to a mini of mine because "my style is bright and happy".  Is that really the case, or am I just scared of "messing up" my mini with a possibly very appropriate technique that I feel I don't execute as well as other techniques?  What I am trying to say (maybe not very well...) is that every technique or style, when executed well, can and should receive its due affirmation and approval (and the judges want to give that!), but we all need to keep pushing ourselves to broaden our skill sets so that we can have the right "tools" ready for the "right" applications (understanding that art is subjective and that there may be many "right" tools and applications).

Hopefully that whole post has slightly more clarity than a puddle of mud...  :lol:

• Like 14

And I can confirm on the tech side that the database of scores are remarkably consistent. I can find no instances where judges disagreed by more than 1 point. So 3/3/3, 3/3/2, and 3/2/2 are all fairly common variations and patterns in the scores, 1/3/4 occurs nowhere. And I find 3/3/3 and 2/2/2 to be by a fairly large margin the most common results.

The judges have all been pretty well trained to understand what a 1,2,3, and 4 should be, and the degrees of variation are all within reasonable variation for something as subjective as art.

• Like 11

Great post.  We can all be frustrated, but since both you and Michael are local, I have eyes into the system better (being taught by Kris how to judge for local comps here) helps.  I see things I am sure others do not simply because I have been taught what to see.  Though I still miss it on my own mini at times.  Though this last time, I was happily surprised and disappointed all at once.

• Like 7

this was my first year as an apprentice judge and it was really fun and interesting!  I'd say after looking a lot of models, I started to get a sense of level of work, regardless of technique.  it was good for me to see what the judges look for and how the process goes- very educational. My mental numbers matched up most of the time.  I found I tend to be on the more critical side, which surprised me 'cause I'm a pushover in real life, but I didn't actually vote on many models- two maybe as the alternate. I guess it's because as a perfectionist, I always see the things that I can improve and that must carry over to judging.

I know the process can be stressful for the recipient.  We all want to be rewarded for our best work, and it can be frustrating when our hard work doesn't seem to match up with the award.  I've found feedback from the judges fantastic.  It helps me so much to know what they're seeing that I'm not.  heck, I cornered poor Derek at the end of the night when he must have been exhausted and asked him for feedback on my gold-winning tiefling.  because I want to get better.  I also worried that since I spend so much time on the forums, that this would interfere with my ability to be objective.  But since I see and often try to help out with most of you all, I guess it ends up cancelling out!

I guess what I most want to say is know that the judges are people who want everyone to both feel good and most importantly learn and improve.  Know that we're pretty much all introverts and when we give feedback and help, we're probably nervous!  And as the night goes on, also probably exhausted...  ^_^

• Like 11

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Heisler
      Okay, we do have some manufacturer awards for the Reaper Con 2018 Painting Competition. This is what I know so far:
      Dark Sword: 
      Dark Sword Diorama Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Diorama
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Diorama

Dark Sword Single Miniature Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Single Miniature
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Single Miniature

Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms Anthropomorphic Animals Open Category:
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our Critter Kingdoms minis.
      $150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms

Dark Sword Young Painter Category (Age 13 and under):
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our young painters.

$100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for best overall Dark Sword Young Painter
      $50 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Young Painter

The Dark Sword Miniatures Manufacturer Awards are open to all painters. To be eligible for the prize support listed, the entries must be new entries, never before posted online or entered into any other painting competitions. In addition, no entries can be commissions from Dark Sword Miniatures for painted studio models. This means Dark Sword studio painters can enter if they so desire, but their entries must be brand new creations not commissioned from Dark Sword and must also adhere to the eligibility requirements above.

Kabuki - 300 Euro Prize for the best Kabuki Miniature, regardless of category, in the painting competition. We are looking for a way to involve Rodolfo in the judging this year.

Bombshell Miniatures
      Bombshell Miniatures presents the 2018 Golden Maelee Awards. This is a Sponsored Award section of the annual Reaper Master Series Open Painting Contest. Entries will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Maelee trophies.

Entries will need to feature at least one or more Bombshell Miniatures as the prominent subject. This can be anything from Babes, Sidekicks, Kritterkins, to robots, or busts. Each entry will be judged on its own merit of painting execution, presentation, and skill.

Entries from artists who have been professionally commissioned by Bombshell Miniatures are ineligible.

Scale 75
      Best Scale 75 75MM or Bust
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store. 

Best Smog Rider (CHIBI)
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store.

Bet Scale 75 piece overall piece by a junior
               Smog Rider Starter set.

Talon Games

Best Individual CAV Model: Any single-model figure.

Best CAV "Squad": This category allows for multiple models (minimum four
      models) as part of a cohesive squad.

Best CAV Diorama: This category covers models with a scenic base where the
      entry is telling a story to the viewer and may include multiple models.

Each category winner will receive a $100 Talon Games Gift Certificate and a
      Trophy.

This first post in the thread will be updated with other manufacturers as we receive them.
    • By Heisler
      I know everyone likes to get a head start on this kind of thing so I'm starting of the Manufacturer Awards thread for ReaperCon 2017.

I will update this first post as additional manufacturers are added.

Secret Weapon Miniatures - Best Weathering Trophy - This is awarded to the best use of weathering on any entry in the competition. There is no monetary reward for this one, just the lovely weathering trophy from Secret Weapon Miniatures.

Scale 75 - Will be provided prizes (actual prizes/trophies still to be determined) for the following three entry types:

1) Best Scale 75 Fantasy/Steam Punk Figure
                            Award: Best Piece will get a $75 voucher to use on the www.scale75usa.com website.                      2) Best Scale 75 Historical Figure.                       Award: Best Piece will get a $75 voucher to use on the www.scale75usa.com website.                      3) Best Fallen Frontiers Figure or Diorama.                       Award: Best Piece or Diorama will get a copy of Fallen Frontiers game. $99 value.                         If any entry presenting a Scale 75 figure or diorama wins the  Best of Show Award. We will present them with a Fantasy & Games Color Complete paint set. Value $195  
      Bombshell Miniatures - Will providing you with a lot of opportunity to get one of their snazzy Maelee Trophies along with Bombshell webstore credit:
                       Best Bombshell Babe category
                       Best Bombshell Counterblast category                  Best Bombshell KritterKin category                  Best Bombshell Sidekick category                  Best Bombshell Diorama/Vehicle/Large Miniature category                            Each of these categories will be awarded a:                            1st place (gold Maelee trophy - $75 web store gift credit),                          2nd place (silver Maelee trophy - $50 web store gift credit), and                           3rd place (copper Maelee trophy - $25 web store gift credit).                     Best Bombshell Miniature award chosen from the 1st place winners of the five above categories which will include a $100 web store gift credit in addition to the trophy.                     Patrick, Mary Profitt, and Vicki will be judging the entries same as last year. Bombshell is planning on promoting the competition through various venues, and hopes to see an                          increase in entries this year.                     Entries from artists who have been professionally commissioned by Bombshell Miniatures are ineligible.   Kabuki Studio - Will be offering a 300 euro prize for the Best Kabuki Entry in the ReaperCon 2017 Competition   Trenchworx - Will be sponsoring the Vehicle category at ReaperCon 2017. The best entry in the Vehicle/Ordnance category will receive a T-35 Tank Kit from Trenchworx. This is a beautiful resin and white metal kit with an MRP of $80.00   Dark Sword Miniatures

1) Single Miniature
      1st Place $150 dollars in Dark Sword Store Credit
      2nd Place $100 dollars in Dark Sword Store Credit

2) Diorama

3) Critter Kingdom (Anthropomorphic Animals); can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our Critter Kingdoms minis.

Dark Sword is adding the following rules: Dark Sword Miniatures manufacturer award  prize support is not open to Dark Sword studio painters that have been paid to paint for Dark Sword. Any such entries can still compete in the overall ReaperCon painting competition, they are simply not eligible for the Dark Sword prize support listed above.
    • By Talae
      WIP here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72886-talaes-first-mini-contest-sde-herald-of-vulcanis/

This mini was painted for a the first paint competition at my FLGS. Everyone bought in for $10, received and painted the same mini and had the month of February to do it. No mods allowed. Roughly 60 competitors from what I understand. This is planned to be a monthly competition.

It was my first competition and also my first serious attempt at a chibi mini.

I would love feedback. Thanks!

• By Heisler
      There are a couple of small changes that I wanted to call out for the painting competition, most people are already aware of these.

The theme for 2016 is Horror, unfortunately I forgot to tell Bryan to update that page in the rules where it is still listing the 2015 Science Fiction Theme.

We are extending the Saturday deadline to 1pm instead of Noon.

The hours listed in the schedule are for viewing, here are the hours that we will be accepting entries.

Drop off Hours
      Thursday 10am - 6pm
      Friday      9am - 5pm (This is the deadline for those attending the whole con, NO EXCEPTIONS)
      Saturday  9am - 1pm (This is a change, we are stretching it out an hour, This is the deadline for those attending only on Saturday, NO EXCEPTIONS)

Pick Up Hours
      Saturday 9pm - 10pm (For those only attending on Saturday after the banquet and awards ceremony)
      Sunday   9am - 2pm (Entries need to be picked up before the auction on Sunday[2:30pm])

• By Pezler the Polychromatic
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF5C04CB-VQ

I did it!

Finally, my first Show Off thread ever for something that wasn't just for my personal enjoyment! And did I ever pick a big project to do it with. This one had stretched my meager skills to the limit, but I managed to finally complete it. WIP here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70091-77008-sir-hue-forscale-first-knight-of-polychromus-wippic-heavy/

From deep with the arcane workgrounds of Castle Polychromatic was forged Sir Hue ForScale, First Knight of Polychromus, Guardian of the Halls of Spectra, Measurer of Magniftints, Watcher of the Seen and Unseen. A construct specially created to protect the Papal Realms from eldritch horrors, he is the shepherd of Colours Out of Space. You could say that he's their................designated drover.

To you, my friends, I unveil my creation!:

His shield is adorned with the Grinning Lizard, crest of Pezler the Polychromatic, representing him no matter where he goes ( and to advertise the Grinning Lizard Tavern; Tuesdays are half off Polychromatic Fizzys!). Below that to represent the SpacePope he serves is the Sacred Hat, whose very presence has the power to make people intone the mystical words, "Hey, Bryan's here!"

Protected by the Tabard of the Tumbling Cosmos, he goes out in search of threats to the integrity of the spectrum, without which all paint would have no colour, making our hobby pretty darn dull. He smites foes with a sword created from the carapace of the Giant Iridescent Killer Rainbow Beetle (Arcus pluvius popsiclus), bringing new colour to the villains of the realms ( the colour he usually makes them is 'dead'). His eyes watch over the spectra both seen and unseen, keeping you all safe from those who would rob your paints of all colour( or just rob your paints; I'm looking at you, Buglips).

To enhance his powers, he has been suffused with the essences of several forumites to give him their strengths: the purple boots of OneBoot, for her stompy powers against the tiny eldritch horrors (but how can they be two boots when her name is Oneboot, you ask? OneBoot2=OneBoot. Simple polychromathemagics.); Guindyloo Blurple among the speckles for her face-huggy abilities; tangerine for Buglips, Emperor of Mooning, he who actually bleeds paint; Blood for the Blood God paint on the sword gems for ub3r_n3rd, he who helps bring the smackdown; And the Grinning Lizard, who was created long ago from modifying a sketch of a frog, which seems appropriate for Froggy the Great.

I had a blast creating this figure for the contest, and it certainly put my meager skills to the test. I have enjoyed a year on the forums, and I want to thank everyone who encouraged me to keep doing this. I'm afraid I couldn't get the last updates for my WIP, since I wanted to make sure that I finished in time. There's a lot of different paints added since the last update, but I don't think it's worth mentioning them unless someone asks. I did, however, add eyes for him using a touch of interference blue in each socket. I think that Sir Hue is the only Forscale that actually has eyes.

PM and email has been sent to ReaperBryan, so it's all good now. Will do some touching up here and there before he gets shipped out, but he will join his brethren soon enough. The Sir Hue will remain vigilant over you all, to keep your tones, tints and shades safe.

He is always watching.............
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)