Heisler

MSP Open Judging - What you were afraid to ask

I imagine it depends on the project. And how long it would take Kris to knock it off the base :)

I was going to say something along the lines of the only detraction I can see being increased fear of damaging the piece. (Or being near Kris when he does it. ;->)

Right, so a sub-title to the piece "Kris is not allowed to touch" would be in order.  :;):  :devil:

Really, I just happen to be the first person to find out that the mini is not physically attached to its fancy base. Remember if you put your mini on a wood base judges use that as a handle!

• Like 7

Yeah, I was terrified someone would pick up my Bkightfang. Then I remembered it weighed like 5 lbs so only brave souls would probably pick it up anyway.

• Like 3

It's sometimes hard to remember that you're there to get critiqued and complimented really. I think as painters we like being told "You do this well" though personally the "This REALLY needs work" is a tougher, even if accurate statement "Higher highlights, darker shadows, smoother blends" So say we all. I like playin' with freehand myself, its a balance issue of wanting to improve that, and smoother transitions.

One thing to remember is that at home, in our local FLGS, or our quasi-regional painting groups we organize, we (you, not me) tend to be the best painter of that group. Your semi-weekly RPG group for which you paint all the PCs? You're light years ahead of the others. Your FLGS has a painting contest? You win hands down. Every time. And then you get to ReaperCon and all the flaws your FLGS & RPG-mates didn't see are obvious. And your technique that's 80% perfect and so much better than everyone else? Now you're competing alongside 95%ers. So many of us walk away from these challenges disillusioned, because our small sample size we used for comparison turned out to be hindering our growth by not offering us challenges.

You, not me, because I have no illusions. The best mini i ever painted didn't even get a bronze, and I'm comfortable knowing that about myself.

• Like 16

You, not me, because I have no illusions. The best mini i ever painted didn't even get a bronze, and I'm comfortable knowing that about myself.

This comment is very important I think.  I am in the same boat as Bryan!  I know I don't have the time (and possibly talent) to paint to the levels that get awards.  People always seem surprised that I don't enter something.  And it is just for this reason.  I am comfortable painting to the level I do and ENJOY doing it.  For some reason I think if I got all tied up in the need for a gold/silver/bronze then it would cease being fun and start being work!  I have enough work to do elsewhere, painting is supposed to be a distraction from that.  Plus ReaperCon gives me the ability to talk to other better painters and get real feedback without entering something.  In fact I find it nice talking to the artists at the tables more casually as well as others of you out there whose painting I really like.  That is my feedback!

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 8

I have never (yet) entered a competition. (Except Sie ForeScale... does that count?)

I am currently painting to improve my technique so I feel I can enter with something I can say "This is good." My current project, though daunting, is something like that.

I follow enough people on here and Facebook to know my skills are no where close to where I'd like to be. I'm not sure they ever will be. However, I am not letting the talent of others drag me down. Instead, I look to them for inspiration, to say "I'm not that good, but how would I paint this?" or "Neat effect/color combination. I need to remember this."

And, as a result, I have improved. ^_^

• Like 11

I have promised myself that I would try to improve my painting with each new mini I paint.

Classes at Con should help with this, IF I can synthesize all of the things that I learned, with my current style.

I think, that when I get back to doing people instead of vehicles, it will be a question of trying X method with what I already do.

Then adding in Y method etc...

And if X doesn't work out, then try Y, or Z even....

I do have the 15mm tank commanders to try stuff on though....

• Like 4

Painting Miniatures is not a race.  It is a journey.  When comparing yourself to others, you should only be looking at milestones you want to achieve.  The progress is made in daily segments of variable intensity and duration.  Sometimes there are detours around things, walls to climb or vistas to take a sidepath and see.  In the end though, we are all climbing a mountain together, through forests, valleys and across rivers and lakes. Somedays there are clouds or rain, somedays there is sunshine and the roar of a waterfall or a bear.  I am climbing this mountain because I enjoy it.  I don't expect to find myself alone at the top... in fact, I think I will find stages where there are meadows with butterflies and flowers and friends who have paused along the way to share the stories of their journey.  I only hope I never become too feeble of mind or body or too shortsighted to lose sight of the path. How many steps are there? I don't know.  Perhaps ten thousand, perhaps a hundred thousand.  I don't know that I will recognize the end when I get there as I'm not on the journey to find a destination, I'm on a journey to explore my soul and pass through my imagination and find people to share them with.

Edited by Grayfax
  • Like 7

I have promised myself that I would try to improve my painting with each new mini I paint.

Classes at Con should help with this, IF I can synthesize all of the things that I learned, with my current style.

I think, that when I get back to doing people instead of vehicles, it will be a question of trying X method with what I already do.

You can try it but there is a world of difference between working on a 28mm and 15mm from a competition perspective so don't get frustrated. Most 28mm techniques just don't work well on 15mm (although I have certainly scene some 15mm stuff that would totally blow you away, including some from Jen Haley that I had no idea were 15mm when I first saw them). The biggest issue you will run into is the quality of the sculpting, most of the things that you would try and emphasis just don't exist on most (not all) 15mm sculpts especially those from Battle Front (I'm guessing these are some Team Yankee tank commanders).

• Like 1

You can try it but there is a world of difference between working on a 28mm and 15mm from a competition perspective so don't get frustrated. Most 28mm techniques just don't work well on 15mm (although I have certainly scene some 15mm stuff that would totally blow you away, including some from Jen Haley that I had no idea were 15mm when I first saw them). The biggest issue you will run into is the quality of the sculpting, most of the things that you would try and emphasis just don't exist on most (not all) 15mm sculpts especially those from Battle Front (I'm guessing these are some Team Yankee tank commanders).
That's what they are, but I am going to try more than basescoat, wash, and dry brush, which is what I usually do with 15mm men...

These are also not for competition, but for a friend.

If I can maybe add 1 shade, or 1 highlight to each color, it will be a victory!

Ritterkreig over on the FoW forums does all the bells and whistles...

Sleeve cuffs, medals, 5 o clock shadow etc...

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 1

That's what they are, but I am going to try more than basescoat, wash, and dry brush, which is what I usually do with 15mm men...

These are also not for competition, but for a friend.

If I can maybe add 1 shade, or 1 highlight to each color, it will be a victory!

Ritterkreig over on the FoW forums does all the bells and whistles...

Sleeve cuffs, medals, 5 o clock shadow etc...

I have seen his work and like I said some guys do stunning work.  And adding a shade and a highlight is certainly possible, I have done it on my Africa Korps troops. I have even done armbands, the issue is that it won't necessarily translate up well to 28mm, without a lot of extra work. My opinion is that you would going the extra shade and highlight is well worth trying on 15mm. If your plans are to compete in 15mm at Reaper Con (certainly doable) then concentrate solely on that don't switch back and forth. Otherwise I would recommend getting a box of plastic 28mm and working your way through those. At the end you have some really nice 28mm for some skirmish gaming for Bolt Action or Chain of Command or Frontline Command.

• Like 1

Thanks Heisler!

15mm is for gaming pieces, no real plans to try for out and out competition works there...

I just don't want to forget everything I learned at con, but I need to get these guys done for my friend, and this way I can practice at least some of the techniques I learned...

• Like 2

I'm going to bump this thread up because I think the information in is still valuable and timely for ReaperCon 2018. Also if I could get someone to pin it that would be great. It took me a while to find this.

• Like 4

Thanks for bumping up all these RCon Threads, Heisler - timely for me, as I just got started on my entry.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Heisler
      Okay, we do have some manufacturer awards for the Reaper Con 2018 Painting Competition. This is what I know so far:
      Dark Sword: 
      Dark Sword Diorama Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Diorama
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Diorama

Dark Sword Single Miniature Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Single Miniature
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Single Miniature

Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms Anthropomorphic Animals Open Category:
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our Critter Kingdoms minis.
      $150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms

Dark Sword Young Painter Category (Age 13 and under):
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our young painters.

$100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for best overall Dark Sword Young Painter
      $50 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Young Painter

The Dark Sword Miniatures Manufacturer Awards are open to all painters. To be eligible for the prize support listed, the entries must be new entries, never before posted online or entered into any other painting competitions. In addition, no entries can be commissions from Dark Sword Miniatures for painted studio models. This means Dark Sword studio painters can enter if they so desire, but their entries must be brand new creations not commissioned from Dark Sword and must also adhere to the eligibility requirements above.

Kabuki - 300 Euro Prize for the best Kabuki Miniature, regardless of category, in the painting competition. We are looking for a way to involve Rodolfo in the judging this year.

Bombshell Miniatures
      Bombshell Miniatures presents the 2018 Golden Maelee Awards. This is a Sponsored Award section of the annual Reaper Master Series Open Painting Contest. Entries will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Maelee trophies.

Entries will need to feature at least one or more Bombshell Miniatures as the prominent subject. This can be anything from Babes, Sidekicks, Kritterkins, to robots, or busts. Each entry will be judged on its own merit of painting execution, presentation, and skill.

Entries from artists who have been professionally commissioned by Bombshell Miniatures are ineligible.

Scale 75
      Best Scale 75 75MM or Bust
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store. 

Best Smog Rider (CHIBI)
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store.

Bet Scale 75 piece overall piece by a junior
               Smog Rider Starter set.

Talon Games

Best Individual CAV Model: Any single-model figure.

Best CAV "Squad": This category allows for multiple models (minimum four
      models) as part of a cohesive squad.

Best CAV Diorama: This category covers models with a scenic base where the
      entry is telling a story to the viewer and may include multiple models.

Each category winner will receive a $100 Talon Games Gift Certificate and a
      Trophy.

This first post in the thread will be updated with other manufacturers as we receive them.
    • By Heisler
      I know everyone likes to get a head start on this kind of thing so I'm starting of the Manufacturer Awards thread for ReaperCon 2017.

I will update this first post as additional manufacturers are added.

Secret Weapon Miniatures - Best Weathering Trophy - This is awarded to the best use of weathering on any entry in the competition. There is no monetary reward for this one, just the lovely weathering trophy from Secret Weapon Miniatures.

Scale 75 - Will be provided prizes (actual prizes/trophies still to be determined) for the following three entry types:

1) Best Scale 75 Fantasy/Steam Punk Figure
                            Award: Best Piece will get a $75 voucher to use on the www.scale75usa.com website.                      2) Best Scale 75 Historical Figure.                       Award: Best Piece will get a $75 voucher to use on the www.scale75usa.com website.                      3) Best Fallen Frontiers Figure or Diorama.                       Award: Best Piece or Diorama will get a copy of Fallen Frontiers game. $99 value.                         If any entry presenting a Scale 75 figure or diorama wins the  Best of Show Award. We will present them with a Fantasy & Games Color Complete paint set. Value $195  
      Bombshell Miniatures - Will providing you with a lot of opportunity to get one of their snazzy Maelee Trophies along with Bombshell webstore credit:
                       Best Bombshell Babe category
                       Best Bombshell Counterblast category                  Best Bombshell KritterKin category                  Best Bombshell Sidekick category                  Best Bombshell Diorama/Vehicle/Large Miniature category                            Each of these categories will be awarded a:                            1st place (gold Maelee trophy - $75 web store gift credit),                          2nd place (silver Maelee trophy - $50 web store gift credit), and                           3rd place (copper Maelee trophy - $25 web store gift credit).                     Best Bombshell Miniature award chosen from the 1st place winners of the five above categories which will include a $100 web store gift credit in addition to the trophy.                     Patrick, Mary Profitt, and Vicki will be judging the entries same as last year. Bombshell is planning on promoting the competition through various venues, and hopes to see an                          increase in entries this year.                     Entries from artists who have been professionally commissioned by Bombshell Miniatures are ineligible.   Kabuki Studio - Will be offering a 300 euro prize for the Best Kabuki Entry in the ReaperCon 2017 Competition   Trenchworx - Will be sponsoring the Vehicle category at ReaperCon 2017. The best entry in the Vehicle/Ordnance category will receive a T-35 Tank Kit from Trenchworx. This is a beautiful resin and white metal kit with an MRP of $80.00   Dark Sword Miniatures

1) Single Miniature
      1st Place $150 dollars in Dark Sword Store Credit
      2nd Place $100 dollars in Dark Sword Store Credit

2) Diorama

3) Critter Kingdom (Anthropomorphic Animals); can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our Critter Kingdoms minis.

Dark Sword is adding the following rules: Dark Sword Miniatures manufacturer award  prize support is not open to Dark Sword studio painters that have been paid to paint for Dark Sword. Any such entries can still compete in the overall ReaperCon painting competition, they are simply not eligible for the Dark Sword prize support listed above.
    • By Talae
      WIP here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72886-talaes-first-mini-contest-sde-herald-of-vulcanis/

This mini was painted for a the first paint competition at my FLGS. Everyone bought in for $10, received and painted the same mini and had the month of February to do it. No mods allowed. Roughly 60 competitors from what I understand. This is planned to be a monthly competition.

It was my first competition and also my first serious attempt at a chibi mini.

I would love feedback. Thanks!

• By Heisler
      There are a couple of small changes that I wanted to call out for the painting competition, most people are already aware of these.

The theme for 2016 is Horror, unfortunately I forgot to tell Bryan to update that page in the rules where it is still listing the 2015 Science Fiction Theme.

We are extending the Saturday deadline to 1pm instead of Noon.

The hours listed in the schedule are for viewing, here are the hours that we will be accepting entries.

Drop off Hours
      Thursday 10am - 6pm
      Friday      9am - 5pm (This is the deadline for those attending the whole con, NO EXCEPTIONS)
      Saturday  9am - 1pm (This is a change, we are stretching it out an hour, This is the deadline for those attending only on Saturday, NO EXCEPTIONS)

Pick Up Hours
      Saturday 9pm - 10pm (For those only attending on Saturday after the banquet and awards ceremony)
      Sunday   9am - 2pm (Entries need to be picked up before the auction on Sunday[2:30pm])

• By Pezler the Polychromatic
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF5C04CB-VQ

I did it!

Finally, my first Show Off thread ever for something that wasn't just for my personal enjoyment! And did I ever pick a big project to do it with. This one had stretched my meager skills to the limit, but I managed to finally complete it. WIP here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70091-77008-sir-hue-forscale-first-knight-of-polychromus-wippic-heavy/

From deep with the arcane workgrounds of Castle Polychromatic was forged Sir Hue ForScale, First Knight of Polychromus, Guardian of the Halls of Spectra, Measurer of Magniftints, Watcher of the Seen and Unseen. A construct specially created to protect the Papal Realms from eldritch horrors, he is the shepherd of Colours Out of Space. You could say that he's their................designated drover.

To you, my friends, I unveil my creation!:

His shield is adorned with the Grinning Lizard, crest of Pezler the Polychromatic, representing him no matter where he goes ( and to advertise the Grinning Lizard Tavern; Tuesdays are half off Polychromatic Fizzys!). Below that to represent the SpacePope he serves is the Sacred Hat, whose very presence has the power to make people intone the mystical words, "Hey, Bryan's here!"

Protected by the Tabard of the Tumbling Cosmos, he goes out in search of threats to the integrity of the spectrum, without which all paint would have no colour, making our hobby pretty darn dull. He smites foes with a sword created from the carapace of the Giant Iridescent Killer Rainbow Beetle (Arcus pluvius popsiclus), bringing new colour to the villains of the realms ( the colour he usually makes them is 'dead'). His eyes watch over the spectra both seen and unseen, keeping you all safe from those who would rob your paints of all colour( or just rob your paints; I'm looking at you, Buglips).

To enhance his powers, he has been suffused with the essences of several forumites to give him their strengths: the purple boots of OneBoot, for her stompy powers against the tiny eldritch horrors (but how can they be two boots when her name is Oneboot, you ask? OneBoot2=OneBoot. Simple polychromathemagics.); Guindyloo Blurple among the speckles for her face-huggy abilities; tangerine for Buglips, Emperor of Mooning, he who actually bleeds paint; Blood for the Blood God paint on the sword gems for ub3r_n3rd, he who helps bring the smackdown; And the Grinning Lizard, who was created long ago from modifying a sketch of a frog, which seems appropriate for Froggy the Great.

I had a blast creating this figure for the contest, and it certainly put my meager skills to the test. I have enjoyed a year on the forums, and I want to thank everyone who encouraged me to keep doing this. I'm afraid I couldn't get the last updates for my WIP, since I wanted to make sure that I finished in time. There's a lot of different paints added since the last update, but I don't think it's worth mentioning them unless someone asks. I did, however, add eyes for him using a touch of interference blue in each socket. I think that Sir Hue is the only Forscale that actually has eyes.

PM and email has been sent to ReaperBryan, so it's all good now. Will do some touching up here and there before he gets shipped out, but he will join his brethren soon enough. The Sir Hue will remain vigilant over you all, to keep your tones, tints and shades safe.

He is always watching.............
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)