nakos

Looking for historical infantry

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm looking for any historical infantry mini with a forlorn/tired/sorrow look in 28-32mm, preferably from Reaper.

Hi, I'm looking for any historical infantry mini with a forlorn/tired/sorrow look in 28-32mm, preferably from Reaper.

That's to broad a topic and I can't think of anything in the Reaper line that fits. I would try searching for napoleonic era miniatures especially vignettes involving the retreat from Moscow by Napoleon in 1812.

Other than that I really need to know what era you are thinking about. 

Edited by Heisler
1 person likes this

Yes, "any" is such a broad subject, ranging from 3000bc to 2016ad talking about currently manufactured lines...

Reaper doesn't really make historical minis. There are a few that has some historical "flavor" but are not historical per se (more like "Hollywood historical.")

Damon.

1 person likes this

It doesn't have to be perfect, Hollywood/Reaper historical works too. Xherman, I was looking at the WWII Chronoscopes and I'm leaning heavily towards the first one you linked. I was hoping maybe someone might have seen something I didn't. Era really doesn't matter for this one, though being able to look at multiple eras would be nice.

The plan is to do a diorama for next ReaperCon with a heaven or hell theme based on Five Finger Death Punch's Wrong Side of Heaven, Righteous Side of Hell.

Edited to Add: I decided to add a US Infantryman from each of the major wars. I think I have enough Reaper Infantry that adding other company's mini shouldn't knock me out of consideration for a Sophie.

Edited by nakos
1 person likes this

Some more (semi-) historicals from Reaper.

Maybe a little converting will help?

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50113

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50333

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50226

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50105

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50100

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Historical/sku-down/50043

Personally I think the Native American Chieftain and the US infantryman from my first post might work well together.

Sort of a "then"and "now" setting?

I looked at the chief and I already added the Civil War officer.

1 person likes this

I helped? :upside:

Kinda, mostly, I had already looked at all of them but showing them again in one spot made me reconsider the scope. Enabling.

1 person likes this

I almost enabled myself, looking at all those cool minis.

Luckily this time I made my will save..( mostly because there are minis on their way as we speak already...)

I did notice, with all the semi historicals, I miss the Conquistadores, Napoleonics and Roman style minis.

Would love to see some Reaper versions of those periods.

Go to Hornet and convert.  I've done it.  The heads are 1/35, impressive, and there is a wide, wide range. 

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SGHawkins09
      Finally decided it was about time for me to start another WIP thread. I have not done much since ReaperCon and fell into a major painting rut. I had a bunch of ideas but no energy to actually do anything. I am starting to get back into the swing of things and have quite a few projects on deck. No real deadlines for them, just working on what I feel like it at this point. I would like to finish the Landsknecht and The Grudge in time for the SCAHMS show on the second weekend in April. So here is my current line up of project with the breakdown of what's what below.

1. Vampire Hunter (Reaper 60164) - originally was going to be part of a vignette for the Valentine's Day contest but I did not finish in time. Mostly base coated with shading and highlighting done on the cloak. Really happy with how it turned out as I tried something new for me by using purple in the shadows.

2. Hellknight Captain (Reaper 60127) - Second figure for the vignette. Pretty much the same as the other, got through the base coats and cloak then stalled.

3. Halmar, Young Wizard (Reaper 03449) - Playing around with my new Scale 75 paints and is only partially base coated.

4. The Girl (Bombshell Miniatures) - Had a color idea and wanted to test it. Mostly base coated and started working on the skirt.

5. XVI century Landsknecht (HistoricArt/CoolMiniorNot) - Only partially assembled. Stalled a bit working on it as when I first attached the torso to the legs, it was out of alignment. Had to redo it and that resulted in needing to do some putty work.

6. Mousling Knight (Reaper 03542) - Just a fun one I felt the urge to do and is only primed at this point.

7. The Grudge (Reaper 30014) - Another one that stalled during prep. It had some casting issues that I needed to clean up and I did not care for void areas that I think were intended to look like dirt. So I smoothed it out and that took a while. I primed it after taking the picture.
    • By bailey03
      I just started a new project, this 70mm Celt from Art Girona.  It's a neat sculpt, an intense pose and holding the severed head of a Roman.  I'm trying out a new skin mix on this guy.  My normal skin mix is Reaper's Chestnut Brown + ~10% Rosy Shadow, Rosy Shadow, Fair Skin, Fair Highlight, and either Linen White or Pure White. It's a pretty light looking skin which is fine for northern Europe. I'll often supplement the Chestnut Brown with Mahogany Brown for the darkest shadows.
        For this figure, instead of Rosy Shadow for the base, I used a 50/50 mix of Rosy Shadow and Bronzed Shadow. For the shadows, I used 60/40 Chestnut Brown and Basic Dirt along with ~10% of the base color. Some Walnut Brown was added for the deepest shadows. Highlights were a 50/50 mix of Fair Skin and Bronzed Highlight, then some Pure White for the final shine. Using just the Bronzed Skin colors is a bit too extreme for my tastes, but tempering them with the Rosy and Fair Skin colors produced a result I'm happy with. I'll definitely keep it in mind for future projects.   So far I've just done a rough base coat on the body and the pants.  But I have spent time shading and highlighting the face.  Got a lot more planned for this piece, so stay tuned! :)

And here's a close up of the face

• By bailey03
      I recently started on a new historical piece (sorry to anyone checking out this thread in the hopes that I misspelled 'dragons').  It's a 54mm Napoleonic figure from Pegaso.  He's an officer of the Empress' Dragoons.  Since he's in his dress uniform, I wanted to come up with a scene that would be appropriate.  A little while back I found this great photo etch gates from ScaleLink.  It looked like the kind of gate you'd find in front of some old French chateau, so it was perfect for this piece.  I built a column using juweela bricks and then used another piece of photo etch for a plaque on the column.  Here's a look at the scene prior to painting...

I started painting the face.  A few of the minor features are done purely through painting (rather than sculpted on).  These would be the cleft in the chin (it's a large chin, so a bit more detail is nice) and the scrunched up skin where the helmet strap goes under his chin.  Just a bit of highlighting and shading is all it needed to create the effect.

Speaking of highlighting and shading, I thought this image does a nice job of showing what has been painted on and what's just room lights.  On the left, I'd painted the face and collar, but the rest of the coat, shirt, and pants are just a uniform base shade.  On the right, I've gone in and shaded all of those elements.

And here are some more images of the figure as it currently stands.  Still need to do the braided details on his shoulders and around his right arm, then the gloves, helmet, boots, and sword/scabbard (yet to be attached).  One challenge with this piece was trying to get the dark green coat to look right.  If you've ever tried to do a dark green or a dark blue, you may find that as you start to highlight all of a sudden that dark color turns into a medium or even a light shade of the color.  To help stop this, I used medium or even a light grey mixed in with the dark green to create my highlights.  This desaturates the highlights and helps the piece retain the dark color look even with high contrast.  Of course it also helps to limit the area in which the highlights are applied.

• By paint pig
      While I wait for a bolt of inspiration to strike re the winged succubus. I'm getting started on some personality figures for my English Civil War/Thirty Years War forces. It is the Prince Rupert figure but he will be pressed into service as a senior officer with what ever army I happen to be using.

Horse is half way there

The Prince has a way to go yet, boots done

• Who's Online   51 Members, 7 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)