14 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I had a bunch of new figures arrive the other day. I am trying to decide which set to paint up first. Any thoughts?
Here are the new fishmen, a mind flayer, and an evil cleric of the sea:
I'd like to paint up this guy to be a green and/or bronze dragon:
A storm and a cloud giant:
Two more dancing girls:
A marid and a hippocampus chariot:
So, which one first?
For my latest group of models I wanted to paint some monsters- preferably with tentacles. I thought this "roper" would be easy enough but I decided to spice it up a little on the base. The 'shrooms are just little acorns The kids helped me collect last fall (painted the rounder ones as pumpkins).
I really don't know if I put the tentacles in the right spots but I like how dynamic they make this model look.
While I have been painting realistic wolves, I have also been working on some of the gorgeous giant wolfmen sculpted by Julie Guthrie for the Koborlas faction in Reaper's "Warlord" game.
This is #14528, the subtly-named "Rageclaw Slayer", or the testosterone-poisoned werewolf a friend of mine requested. He's a big puppy; I include a copy of Reaper's 60164, Vampire Hunter, for scale:
This is my standard priming of a thin layer of Titanium White followed by a thin wash of diluted Burnt Umber, using my favorite Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. I left the base white in order to paint it as snow.
Those who have been following my regular wolf painting thread will recognize the steps here. First I mixed a cool neutral grey from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White and painted it on his limbs, face, and belly:
Then I mixed a darker version of the same grey and painted his back and tail:
Then I mixed a cream-buff color from Burnt Sienna, Yellow Oxide, a tiny bit of Ultramarine Blue to take the orange edge off, and Titanium White, and went over his face, limbs, and belly again:
And finally I took some pure Carbon Black (a color I rarely use except for special effects) and laid in his eyes, nose, lips, and claws (Although I just noticed I missed his toe claws. Oh, well, next time.). I also washed a little diluted black over his darker fur, most noticeable on the parts of the tail I had missed earlier:
He still looks rough and terrible, especially up close, but I have to admit I am rather pleased with the overall color impression.
So I got the box in August of 2015, and proceeded to paint the terrain portions of the box...
Now it is finally time to start on the main piece of the box!
Nathavarr the Dragon!
I spent much time last night removing mold lines....
Then scrubbing all the parts....
Hey! I am using Bones Superglue on Bones!
I glued his hind right leg, and tail to the body, and will be doing some putty work after my postings tonight...
As a side note, the blocks of wood with the single nails are the ones I used when I was painting Takhisis, over a year ago now....
I plan on using Blue Liner as my primer, and will be air brushing it on....
So I hope you all will follow along, because most of the initial work will be done with my air brushes....
PS I was talking with our Haminister of Trooth whilst taking pics, and we agree that if you could get 2 (or more!) of the same wings from this guy, they would likely make cool looking sails / masts for a fantasy ship!
Who's Online 17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)