Murals??

Little frescoes. Like I said, think Pompeii. So probably little garden scenes with plants, flowers, and birds. I am going to go through my photos of Pompeii and see what might look good.

• Like 3

Murals??

Little frescoes. Like I said, think Pompeii. So probably little garden scenes with plants, flowers, and birds. I am going to go through my photos of Pompeii and see what might look good.

Yes I know what Murals are.

I meant to say I think it is great you're doing that.

Can be awesome!

Looking forward to see that.!

• Like 1

Great idea with the cork!

Maybe a few layers of MDF board for stability and to keep the cork from crumbling?

• Like 1

Can be awesome!

Haha! I didn't mean it to sound like you didn't know what I was talking about. I was clarifying that they would be smaller than what I typically think of a mural. I am going to dig through all of my minis and see if I have a couple that look like they could be statues that would have stood in those niches. And for the small niche, I need a tiny "statue".

Great idea with the cork!

Maybe a few layers of MDF board for stability and to keep the cork from crumbling?

So you think with the cork sealed and with putty or something sculpted over the top for the terrain, you think the cork might still crumble?

• Like 2

I could see a layer of something solid on the bottom if you plan to use it frequently.

• Like 1

Can be awesome!

Haha! I didn't mean it to sound like you didn't know what I was talking about. I was clarifying that they would be smaller than what I typically think of a mural. I am going to dig through all of my minis and see if I have a couple that look like they could be statues that would have stood in those niches. And for the small niche, I need a tiny "statue".

Since you're planning to do a Pompeii scene, buy a little set of 1:72 Romans???

I could see a layer of something solid on the bottom if you plan to use it frequently.

^This^

the bottom won't be covered...

• Like 1

Fimo/sculpy has to be baked or boiled; not sure how the cork will handle that. I might lean towards something that dry-cures.. I'unno what all the options are, though.

This is an interesting idea though, I'm interested to see what you come up with as a solution. And how it all turns out.

• Like 1

Fimo/sculpy has to be baked or boiled; not sure how the cork will handle that. I might lean towards something that dry-cures.. I'unno what all the options are, though.

This is an interesting idea though, I'm interested to see what you come up with as a solution. And how it all turns out.

Yep, after looking into it I realized it has to be baked. So that's out.

I am thinking of making a mixture of glue, sand, and broken up crumbled cork and then spreading it on. I am going to try this on excess pieces first and see what happens.

Still not sure about adding something more to the bottom for 2 reasons. One, I do not have a jigsaw nor would I know how to use one if I did. And secondly, the cork is actually floor tiles which makes me think they should be pretty sturdy. I will think more on this.

I have game day today so will probably try the mixture tonight when I get home and then let it sit overnight and see what happens. In my head it will be textured and durable and I can just prime and paint over the top of it and then flock and do what I want with it. We'll see!

• Like 3

The overnight experiment was a success.

I mixed basing sand, crumbled cork, and glue to make a thick paste. If you don't use enough glue, it crumbles apart, too much glue makes it run. I spread a thin layer of glue onto the cork base to give the paste something to grab onto. I made sure to push the paste into the crevices and gently push it up against the pieces of ruins. I put parchment paper underneath so the paste could come down on the sides and not leave exposed cork. Here's hoping it peels off easily!

I then took some broken cork pieces and pushed them into the paste to look like a continuation of the broken bits of the ruins. I wish I had my Bones 3 to have my weapon sprues as I would have put a few things on the ground where the treasure cache is. Oh well!

I am pretty pleased so far so we'll see how it looks when it is dry. Oh, the reason why it is two different colors....I ran out of sand and glue so had to go buy more. They didn't have the same kind or color so it is a slightly different texture (and color obviously). Once it is primed, it won't matter! I am going to give this AT LEAST 24 hours to sit and make sure it is set and completely dry.

I am also thinking of slathering rubber cement on the bottoms of the cork tiles and then putting felt on them.

post-14071-0-72370600-1478407317_thumb.jpg

post-14071-0-93111100-1478407339_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I invested in this exact Dragons dont share for my dad's 50th and i am planning on doing something very similar, however not as many layers, was going to do 2 layers, similar to this, but to be able to add more to the crumbled terrain, grass and charred earth, and such :) wanted it to be able to be changed depending on our adventure, so i may decide to do this a different way. However watching this grow for you, is going to be amazingly fun and is making me very excited :D 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wickedshifty
      I finished up a year long project recently. Started with white, then blue, then green, then black then finally red...

its been a while journey with these dragons..

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1953336682/fantasy-dragons-miniatures-norbaminiatures?ref=discovery

About
      Welcome Ladies and gentlemen of Norba, to our 4 Kickstarter project. We bring you the best fantasy dragons in the best 3D quality. With 4 years of experience, Norba has become a reference in the miniatures market by offering great miniatures at an incredible price.
      Thanks to our new production system we can guarantee the delivery of the project in only two months. The speed of delivery, the improvement of the material and the final quality of the product is making it possible for Norba to grow every day. and what are you waiting for to join Norba?
      ------------  
      Welcome Ladies and gentlemen of Norba, to our 4 Kickstarter project. We bring you the best fantasy dragons in the best 3D quality. With 4 years of experience, Norba has become a reference in the miniatures market by offering great miniatures at an incredible price.
      Thanks to our new production system we can guarantee the delivery of the project in only two months. The speed of delivery, the improvement of the material and the final quality of the product is making it possible for Norba to grow every day. and what are you waiting for to join Norba?
      This project consists of as you can see of 3 totally different Dragons for our fantasy range. Includes 6 riders of 6 different races and a great Dragon for our range of The Battle of the Ring. The 3 dragons and the dragons with riders include smooth bases.
      Depending on the reward you choose, you will have access to a certain number of unlockables. This information will be below. However, the rewards can be purchased by sponsors of the project.
      ------------  
      This project consists as you can see of 3 totally different Dragons for our fantasy range. Includes 6 riders of 6 different races and a great Dragon for our range of The Battle of the Ring. The 3 dragons and the dragons with rider include smooth bases.
      Depending on the reward you choose, you will have access to a certain number of unlockables. This information will be below. However all the rewards can be purchased by sponsors of the project. 
             PLAY      
    • By BananeDC
      Hi, here are thje photos of my "Dragons don't share", realized in december 2016.
      Hope you like it.

• By WhiteWulfe
      I say attempted because of two reasons...  First is this is the show off thread, and secondly, no official confirmation yet on the dates since @buglips*the*goblin has been occupied with other things, although a part of me suspects that @OneBoot might vouch.  At least on the times 

WIP Thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83285-whitewulfe-attemps-the-seven-day-goblin-challenge-dragons-dont-share-2014-edition/

This post may or may not be wordy, I haven't decided yet.  I'm tired, I'm sore, my eyes burn, but...  It. Is. DONE!  At least in my eyes.  A lot of things aren't as well done as I'd like, but that's what happens when you lose the equivalent of almost two full days to surprise contractors.  Thankfully I had terrain to work on while they took up most of that time!

Rules thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/

Just what is the 7-Day Goblin Challenge?  Well, I summarize it as follows: Stupidly large mini, comically small brush.  Right now, it's four different minis you can choose from, you can only use up to a size 0 brush, aaaaand you have all of seven days to finish it.  That's it.  No airbrushes, no fancy paper towel tricks, no smearing paint with your fingers (as that's a "brush" that's bigger than size 0!), no direct application of paint, no aerosol cans... You get the idea. ^_^;;;

Start time: October 27th, at 09:05 MST/MDT (aka -07:00 GMT)
      End time: Nov 3rd, at 02:02 MST/MDT

Getting all of this to fit in my mock lighting setup was an absolute pain, doubly so since I had to steal hubby's painting light to try and get even lighting across things. o_O

^Starting setup, with time displayed

^Ending setup, with time displayed.  At this point, I technically had 7 hours and 3 minutes left in my seven days, and by the time I'm done writing this it'll probably be a full hour later (something about editing down over forty pictures, and that's AFTER I filtered redundant pics out of the equation o_O)

In order to not make this an absolute pain to scroll through, I'll showcase key pictures, with additional detail pics being hidden behind spoiler tags.

^Obviously the main attraction is first.

Additional dragon pictures:

Terrain details:

First hero is apparently the dwarf cleric...  At least with the order I took pics!

Additional pics:

^The sorceress~

Additional pics:

^The thief/rogue/sneaky one!

Additional pics:

The... Ranger/archer guy!

Additional pics:

^And last, but not least...  Sir Purple of Shiny, as more or less named by OneBoot...  Well, inspired by due to purple and how shiny his armour was for quite some time...

Additional pics!

Now, comes the slightly... I dunno, philisophical part of it all.  Would I do things differently next time?  Most definitely.  I'd prefer to give my heroes more time, and also make sure I have brushes that I trust well enough to do eyes.  I had to pull out my 000 Reaper brush to try the eyes....  I also wouldn't wait until after 1am  in the final hours of the challenge to do said eyes either.  I'd also not recommend losing a good chunk of time to surprise contractors either, or at least keep painting as best one can - although that first day of surprise contractors, uhm....  Yeah, anything other than priming would have been impossible while they were doing work, the entire building was vibrating.

Would I recommend this kind of thing to others?  Sure, why not...  If you're willing to do a reasonable amount of planning ahead of time.  I'd also strongly recommend having time off while you do this, AND not being the person who cooks.  Assigning cooking duties to someone else (or, y'know, having a freezer/fridge full of ready to make meals) would probably also be rather handy.  If you're in a relationship, or living with others (be they roommates, or parents, or whatever), DEFINITELY make sure to talk it over with them.  I'm lucky, I'm married to an enabler, and by that he's the main reason I was able to do the challenge.  That and he was quite happy to work on relic quests in FF XIV:ARR while I painted 

Oh, and make sure you've actually GOT groceries to cook with if you are going to be the cook!  Don't have to run out a few times during said challenge, DOUBLY SO if you happen to have to WALK everywhere when you do said errands.  No, not even to go and get your package of big stompy robots, you silly fox!

I went into this with a rather basic plan...  Colours picked out for the heroes (but apparently only their capes/cloaks), and a basic colour pattern idea on the dragon.  I'd recommend not winging it like I did, because it brings up some rather interesting (and annoying!) problems as you go, like how on earth you're going to make it work, and blend it all together.

Will I give another one a shot?  We shall see.  Obviously there's recovering from this one, but most importantly is this - hubby would have to say yes again 

...I'm going to go get sleep now!
  • Who's Online   26 Members, 0 Anonymous, 65 Guests (See full list)