SamuraiJack

Kingdom Death: Monster 2

I apologize if this should get posted somewhere else, but just wanted to share a quick gameplay moment.

We just started a new campaign and were completing Year 3.  One of the players is mostly unfamiliar with the setting, but has always tried to get all the best stuff for the character he named.  For the most part we let him because he likes to be the tough one.  Only 2 characters survived the fight with the Antelope - "his" character being one of them.  So we got back to the settlement and drew an event.  Not going to spoil anything here I hope, but we had to pick a couple survivors.  He picked "his", of course.  And then he rolled the die.... The result was the instant death of that survivor.

The shock and look of complete disbelief was priceless.  NEVER get attached to the survivors.  I think he has learned that lesson now.

• Like 5

Getting attached is fine...as long as you understand it's because you'll be memorializing them :D

• Like 1

I don't really know anything about the KD setting, but this anecdote and the fact that 'death' is right there in the name should tell you something.

2 hours ago, Dan d'Lyon said:

NEVER get attached to the survivors.  I think he has learned that lesson now.

Unless you're playing the Twilight Knight In training campaign variant in which case you should absolutely get attached to one particular survivor because if they die it's game over......

There are two types of campaigns I have seen so far: the ones that keep to four currently used survivors and only replace as they die, OR the ones that rotate out quite frequently.

Neither is a great idea to get too emotionally connected to your characters.

• Like 1

I really like the tragedies of the game as much as the triumphs.  but ill be sad to see my +4 luck archer bite the dust.  she has already used many village rerolls to survive settlement events.  but one of these days she is gonna hit death on a hunt or showdown, and the 3 other survivors are going to be out of rolls.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dan d'Lyon said:

I apologize if this should get posted somewhere else, but just wanted to share a quick gameplay moment.

We just started a new campaign and were completing Year 3.  One of the players is mostly unfamiliar with the setting, but has always tried to get all the best stuff for the character he named.  For the most part we let him because he likes to be the tough one.  Only 2 characters survived the fight with the Antelope - "his" character being one of them.  So we got back to the settlement and drew an event.  Not going to spoil anything here I hope, but we had to pick a couple survivors.  He picked "his", of course.  And then he rolled the die.... The result was the instant death of that survivor.

The shock and look of complete disbelief was priceless.  NEVER get attached to the survivors.  I think he has learned that lesson now.

Yup! Sadly, one of my buddies won't play anymore because he lost 2 characters in one night.  Tried explaining to him that the survivors are just about as transitory as the resources you hack off your quarries, but that wasn't what he wanted to hear.  :rolleyes:  I love that game!

• Like 3

My gaming group found KD relatively easy, we passed through the basic game fairly quickly, faced down the Slenderman and the Man Hunter without too much drama. And then we hit the Spider and got creamed, complete wipe-out and it wasn't even close. Overconfidence is a powerful enemy in KD