TaleSpinner

My Journey into Lost-Wax Metal Casting

133 posts in this topic

That is awesome and interesting.  Waiting to see how this unfolds and watch the first things become unveiled.  Of course we want to see all the workspace photos too!

2 people like this

Best of luck to you Andy.

You might want to look at Kang's Molten Madness thread in the Fiction, Poetry and other Abuses section. He's been documenting his casting adventures there. He might have pointers for you as well. I think he is mostly doing lost foam casting of bronze though.

4 people like this

This is SUPER COOL!!!!   Congrats Andy!

1 person likes this

I remember seeing this done in high school. We mostly cast brass or copper (all the school could afford), and had a centrifuge set up to force the metal into the mold, so it's a little different than your setup. 

1 person likes this

I remember seeing this done in high school. We mostly cast brass or copper (all the school could afford), and had a centrifuge set up to force the metal into the mold, so it's a little different than your setup. 

Centrifuge vs vacuum is, I guess, a huge point of discussion for jewelers and casters.  Both work very well.  I chose vacuum mostly because I am doing this in my personal shop and really don't like the idea of flinging a ball of molten metal around at high speed in my basement.  The vacuum machine setup cost a bit more, but I think for my application it has advantages.

8 people like this

I'm really looking forward to following along as this looks really interesting.

1 person likes this

Good luck and hopefully things move the way you want them to.  With Vacuum casting, you can get a few castings if you don't mind a bit of "sprue" in the center.

3 people like this

This is really cool! I've never heard of this type of art before. It will be fun to watch.

I'd never heard about the rings in Haiti either - that's really interesting, and a bit sad too. I love that y'all send rings over!

And if you ever make some silver leaf jewelry, you can be sure I'll jump in line! :lol:

6 people like this

This is really cool! I've never heard of this type of art before. It will be fun to watch.

I'd never heard about the rings in Haiti either - that's really interesting, and a bit sad too. I love that y'all send rings over!

And if you ever make some silver leaf jewelry, you can be sure I'll jump in line! :lol:

Jewelers and small-scale sculptors (very limited runs, as is Talespinner's case) use lost wax casting for custom pieces.  I did this in college and worked at a small, local jeweler who provided custom jewelry using this method.  It was fun to watch and to do.

4 people like this

I've always wanted to try this a few times, but never had the time/money for it with all my other hobbies.

1 person likes this

Started reworking the basement tonight after getting all the current sculpts to a stopping point.  Mostly I am just cleaning and rearranging at this point.

10 people like this

this is awesome. Looking forward to the process!

Nissiana used to work for a Haitian hospital (in development for the non-profit offices, not actually in Haiti);it's very cool that you can use this to help them out.

(and I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Pittsburgh Faire one day!)

4 people like this

I'd never heard about the rings in Haiti either - that's really interesting, and a bit sad too. I love that y'all send rings over! ...

Same here.

A quick image search revealed that it is very much a thing to have rings that are a near his/hers match.

(Two rings that closely resemble each other.) Such as:

Haitian+Engagement+Diamond+Fashion+Rings

I saw several styles and I assume this ^ is the very posh end of the range.

Edited by TGP
2 people like this