Wren

[SPLIT] Vortex Shakers

If you can afford one, I recommend buying a used lab vortex mixer. I have weakness/pain issues in my dominant wrist and hand. Reaper paint doesn't need much shaking, but over a long session or when going through paints to check if they need water and such, the shaking adds up, and I have had no regrets about forking out the cash for mine.

• Like 11

Hmm. Found a few under $50 on a google shopping search.  May need to try that.  After shaking over 12 bottles yesterday because my daughter uses a very large palette my hands/wrists were hurting.

• Like 3

If you can afford one, I recommend buying a used lab vortex mixer. I have weakness/pain issues in my dominant wrist and hand. Reaper paint doesn't need much shaking, but over a long session or when going through paints to check if they need water and such, the shaking adds up, and I have had no regrets about forking out the cash for mine.

A fellow con-goer (but not a forum member) had a vortex mixer set up at his paint station at the con all weekend. I was sitting next to him, and got just a little but hooked on the gadget.

• Like 4

Vortex mixer was a investment that I am so glad I did.  Keep looking for a good price on a used one.  Anything to help me focus on doing the painting on not on things around doing the painting gets me to paint more.  Cut out or minimize the items you dislike with good tools and technique and focus on what you like doing in the hobby!

• Like 2

I picked up a used vortex mixer after using Robert K's mixer at last year's ReaperCon. Very helpful, especially with my tennis elbow.

Robert K now has his own business buying old mixers and refurbishing them.

Ron

• Like 5

Wow, sounds like a vertex mixer may be just the thing. Thanks for the advice everybody. Found a nice selection of used Vortex Genie 2 Lab Mixers online. After the holidays I'll definitely need to pick one up. Oh! Maybe I can get one for my birthday. Should I look for one with the flattish 3" disk on top or the one with the test tube cup? 

• Like 1

I'd guess the flat plate, because the test tube cup would only let you do one at a time. The flat plate would let you do as many as you could hold your hand on top of at once.

I like the cup on mine since it holds the bottle well enough (as I'm pressing down). There is an attachment that would allow for multiple bottl s of paint at a time, but I don't have it.

Ron

• Like 1

I've got a foam thing for mine that will hold 8 bottles at a time for shaking.  I found it on eBay as well.  Essentially a 7 inch or so square foam block with 8 holes in it.  It came with a metal holder that clicks right into the top of the vortex mixer.  I think it was made for holding different size test tubes and such.  But works great for the paint bottles.  That way I can load a bunch of paints in it, turn it on and let it shake for a few minutes while I continue working.

• Like 3

I'd guess the flat plate, because the test tube cup would only let you do one at a time. The flat plate would let you do as many as you could hold your hand on top of at once.

Robert's had a flat plate, with a high-traction rubber surface, and worked very well.

• Like 1

I have the little cup, fits one MSP bottle pretty much perfectly. I have also shaken old Pro Paint tubs or a few other shapes of things by resting the bottom edge of the container into the cup.

• Like 3

I took your (always helpful and appreciated) advice and ordered a used vortex mixer. I also appreciate everybody else who added their thoughts about them They had bunch of nice looking ones for $55 with free shipping on eBay and they were selling out fast. Call it an early birthday present to myself.  :bday:

Also, been using Ghostly Moss on some undead and really like it. 

• Like 3

Took everybody's advice and got my used vortex mixer in today. It was missing one rubber foot but I just put a piece of foam under the front and it's working fine. This thing is amazing! Thoroughly mixed up about 80 bottles of paint in 15 minutes. It seems to mix Secret Weapon washes in about 5 seconds, Reaper paints in about 10 seconds, but takes a fair bit longer for really full bottles of some Vallejo colors. So far I'm in love with this thing. I have the one with the cup, but I can see how the one with the flat grippy disk would be better for shaking larger bottles like Citadel or craft paint. That said, the cup seems to be custom made for dropper bottles. Couldn't be more ideal. â™¥â™¥â™¥

VCdsjSXl.jpg

• Like 10

My collection is primarily Reaper paints. Do you suggest the model you got or is there a different one?

This is pretty similar to mine. (Which I also ended up putting foam under and that works fine.) I like the Touch setting, so that might be something to look for. When you put it on that setting, it turns on automatically when you hold a bottle down in the cup, then turns off when you lift the bottle away. (So people with kids or pets that mess with all their stuff might not want that setting, but I find it convenient.)

• Like 4