Wren

[SPLIT] Vortex Shakers

159 posts in this topic

I put the Typhoon mixer on my xmas list. We shall see (it will most likely be that or a pochade box).

2 people like this

If this thing works on scale 75 then it's worth it 100%

My mixer works well with Scale 75 paint (though I still put in a bead, mainly for when I'm not at home).

I have my mixeqr on the floor, so I've never noticed any vibration isssues.

Ron

Edited by vutpakdi
1 person likes this

Mine is on my desk and I only notice vibration issues if I hold pot on incorrectly.  There is a sweet spot (pretty big one on mine) where there is no transference to the desk.  If things start getting shaky, I stop and try again.  Having mixed most of my paints now, I find I run into the problem less and less so there's a bit of a learning curve.  

1 person likes this

If this thing works on scale 75 then it's worth it 100%

My mixer works well with Scale 75 paint
that's good. I have scale 75 that's been upside down and it's from some of the earliest batches so they are overfilled and the really thick clay like pigment is crammed into the tip. I've been having problems with my scale 75 drying streaky and chunky. I really hope this thing will restore them for me. Edited by czebas
1 person likes this

You may need to poke the top hole or pop off the nipple to introduce some air, czebas. I don't think overfilled ones mix as well. It will also help if you drop in a plastic bead or something along those lines. (You want something that is non-reactive, people have used various types of metals and had reactions with paints over time.)

1 person likes this

In order to get efficient mixing, vortex mixers need some airspace above the liquid.  Completely full bottles don't mix nearly as well as ones that you've already used some paint out of.  In the video below, note how much empty space is left in the tubes and how far the solutions travel up the sides.

4 people like this

I have used scale 75 bottles that have space. I put one with a mixing bead ball in it and it doesn't seem to really be agitating it like I saw in the video. I think my used one might be a little weak.

1 person likes this

If you want to help a fellow forum member, look for the Typhoon mixer on Etsy.  Robert's a nice guy and he does a good thing rebuilding trashed equipment that would normally go to a landfill.  He guarantees them, too.  We got one and are very happy with it.  I have some bottles that are 10 years old now, I thought they were thickening up and would be unusable soon.  10 seconds on that thing and it's like fresh paint.  It's also great for those problem metallics that keep separating. 

OK, I took the plunge and picked up the last one he had on eBay. Thanks for the tip Inarah.

I'm curious how well it does with the Vallejo alcohol based Liquid Gold metallics. I always need to use a stick to stir up the bottoms of those things. It sounds like I'll need to use up some of my Scalecolor paints a bit too. Those things are FULL when new.

If you want to help a fellow forum member, look for the Typhoon mixer on Etsy.  Robert's a nice guy and he does a good thing rebuilding trashed equipment that would normally go to a landfill.  He guarantees them, too.  We got one and are very happy with it.  I have some bottles that are 10 years old now, I thought they were thickening up and would be unusable soon.  10 seconds on that thing and it's like fresh paint.  It's also great for those problem metallics that keep separating. 

About what does he charge? His etsy store us currently on holiday, so prices aren't showing.

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

About what does he charge? His etsy store us currently on holiday, so prices aren't showing.

Huzzah!        

He also sells them on ebay. That's where I bought mine today. Unfortunately, it looks like I bought the last one for now. He sent me a note that he's taking a break for the holidays and will then begin looking for more to refurbish. 

I like that he rebuilds/reconditions old ones and guarantees them for three months. Everybody else sells them for about the same price with only a two week warranty. Though I'm not a fan of the bright red that he paints these. If only I knew someone with some paints and a minor ability to use them...

1 person likes this

Huzzah!        

He also sells them on ebay. That's where I bought mine today. Unfortunately, it looks like I bought the last one for now. He sent me a note that he's taking a break for the holidays and will then begin looking for more to refurbish. 

I like that he rebuilds/reconditions old ones and guarantees them for three months. Everybody else sells them for about the same price with only a two week warranty. Though I'm not a fan of the bright red that he paints these. If only I knew someone with some paints and a minor ability to use them...

Cool. What did he charge? I want to estimate about how much hobby funds I should set aside in the future. ^_^

Huzzah!

1 person likes this

I think maybe the problem with mine could be that I got the one with the rubber platform instead of the cup. For scale 75 which is very thick it doesn't seem violent enough to vortex the pigment. However if most of your paint is reaper of Vallejo this will serve you well.

2 people like this

Huzzah!        

Cool. What did he charge? I want to estimate about how much hobby funds I should set aside in the future. ^_^

Huzzah!

Base was $95 + $6 for shipping. I told him about this forum and Inarah's specific recommendation. He replied back that if there are more people that want these, he could start working on a few more.

2 people like this

Yikes, I hope my fiancee was able to snag one from his etsy store for my xmas present!

4 people like this

Yikes, I hope my fiancee was able to snag one from his etsy store for my xmas present!

There were four when I first checked this out, and I apparently picked the last one up when I pulled the trigger a week later. I hope she was one of the other three. He did tell me that if he gets requests for more, he can get back to the shop and get some more completed.

Mine should be showing up this Friday. I suppose this thing is a late birthday present, while the five Scalecolor sets arriving in a week or two are an early x-mas present.

2 people like this