Archangelrey

Dry-brush Color recommendation?

Depends on what you want to achieve.

For example a Skeleton basecoated, black or brown, can be drybrushed with a white, a light grey or a yellowish green.

A bear with a brown fur, could be drybrushed with the highlight brown colour.

• Like 1

A list?  not that I have ever seen.  Typically you want to use the same hue color as the color your drybrushing over with just a lighter value. The greater the value gap, the more dramatic the drybrush effect will have.  It's always been a gut call for me.

• Like 1

In my last post, the forum was able to explain the realism process when painting. So here I try to find color that help other color stand out. Right now I have a base grey and earth stone which I'm am drybrushing with a Nurgling Green and then a Wrack white GW Dry line.Just the Nurgling Green is cause a good outcome when compare to my just base coat ones.

I'm also wondering if I was to paint my next minis, for Blood Rage, if I paint a shield the color of the team they are associate with, do I highlight it brown to show that a shield was paint over?  Or the opposite?

Isn't this the beginning to every painting question?  :;): 

GW and Reaper organize their paints in logical groups. For Reaper, it's the triad, for GW it's a quartet. Pay attention to the base/shade/highlight/drybrush. Each shade should have a direct line up and down through that collection of three or four.

Actually, it looks like GW now does five paints. A base, two layers, a shade (usually an ink) and a "dry" paint specifically made for drybrushing (I kinda hate those paints). Here's a link to the full chart: http://buttery-commissar.tumblr.com/post/113629904385/this-is-the-citadel-painting-system-chart-from-the

I think these are a good starting point. Once you've gotten used to this, you can experiment with other different colors. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve, after all. :)

• Like 4

Isn't this the beginning to every painting question?  :;): 

GW and Reaper organize their paints in logical groups. For Reaper, it's the triad, for GW it's a quartet. Pay attention to the base/shade/highlight/drybrush. Each shade should have a direct line up and down through that collection of three or four.

Actually, it looks like GW now does five paints. A base, two layers, a shade (usually an ink) and a "dry" paint specifically made for drybrushing (I kinda hate those paints). Here's a link to the full chart: http://buttery-commissar.tumblr.com/post/113629904385/this-is-the-citadel-painting-system-chart-from-the

I think these are a good starting point. Once you've gotten used to this, you can experiment with other different colors. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve, after all. :)

That link was great!!! I just added everything to my apps for future use.