Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jsalyers

Question about Nightshade Purple

9 posts in this topic

I'm painting a mini for a Secret Santa exchange over on the PP forums and my victim... err, giftee(?) uses Nightshade Purple and I'm wondering if that is more of a 'Red Purple' or a 'Blue Purple'?

I've looked at images for the color online but I cannot really tell as it seems a very dark color.

Thanks for your help!

J--

Definitely blue.

And it definitely is dark - it's right up there with Walnut Brown and the Reaper Liner colors as a color that's basically just a tinted black. It's not until you start thinning it down that it actually reads as a " dark purple" color.

Edited by Mad Jack
2 people like this

Very dark and thin blue-purple/black color. It's nice to thin down just a tad more to do washes and glazes with and add more deep shadows or compliment cold colors.

2 people like this

Thanks for your help. I've managed to make a reasonable facsimile until I can get to the local store that carries a good selection of Reaper Paints.

J--

1 person likes this

Here's a comparison of several purples I did a couple years ago: 

post-3776-0-67806500-1479343138_thumb.jpg

10 people like this

Yes, blue. I luuuurve my Nightshade Purple. :wub:

2 people like this

It's one of my favorites ( owns 15 purples).

1 person likes this

Here's a comparison of several purples I did a couple years ago

Love this! Thank you for sharing Inarah! I also have many purples– Nightshade is perfect for getting really nice, dark contrast. It's also pretty versatile and can be used for many different color schemes (I'm trying it out with green currently!) Best of luck to you & your Secret Sophie victi– I mean, giftee ^_^

2 people like this

Nightshade is perfect for getting really nice, dark contrast. It's also pretty versatile and can be used for many different color schemes (I'm trying it out with green currently!)

I'm in the midst of painting a limited-palette figure using just orange, purple and green, and the preliminary messing around I've done so far with using the Nightshade for undercoating and shadowing various different greens has produced some interesting results. I'm also using it as my default "black" for the piece.

1 person likes this