CarlZog

Official color data cards replaced by B&W FM output?

10 posts in this topic

I was planning to print out a complete set of the official color data cards and laminate them for use with a dry erase marker. But I notice that they are no longer on the CAVHQ download page. Instead there is a MasterJOR pdf file in the format of b&w Force Manager output.

Have those really nice color cards with the unit image, faction symbols, and camo backgrounds been discontinued, or stop getting updated?

I personally don't mind the FM output, but I'm expecting to continue playing with new players. Having a more attractive data card with an easily recognizable image of the unit and faction really helps new players with unit identification.

I downloaded all the previously available color cards, but I don't know how much the data on them has been updated or corrected since then.

1 person likes this

I too am interested in the answer to this question. Color cards with pictures sound much better.

J--

I want to weigh in on this, though I'm leaning in the other direction:  I'd like to see smaller black-and-white data cards, that is, playing-card-sized data cards (or maybe 3x5 cards) that are cheap to print and easy to read. 

My group and I were experimenting with layout (pictured below) but never got farther than this prototype.  

The Force Manager prints out usefully-sized B&W cards, but they're all on one sheet.  no biggie for the most part, but something stand-alone would be really ideal for me.  

Puma%20Data%20Card.jpg

2 people like this

Vytau, if the cards are in color can't you just print them in Black and White? Whereas, those who want the cards in color can't 'colorize' Black and White cards very easily.

I totally agree on the size of the cards. I need to carry a bunch of them conveniently and lay them out on the edge of the table for easy reference. 

What I really need is a picture of the unit's model so I can associate cards with figure easily.

J--

2 people like this

Vytau, if the cards are in color can't you just print them in Black and White? Whereas, those who want the cards in color can't 'colorize' Black and White cards very easily.

What I really need is a picture of the unit's model so I can associate cards with figure easily.

J--

The color cards can certainly be printed in B&W, though in my opinion they look rather cluttered and "busy." Generally speaking I am not a fan of background images and other such watermarking.  It's visual noise that doesn't actually help a player use the tool.  If you play / played Warhammer 40,000, I think it was their 5th edition codices totally exemplified this graphics-for-the-sake-of-graphics approach.  

Additionally, for the print-at-home set, we're talking about an awful lot of ink, whether color or black-and-white.   If every square inch of the card has some sort of design or color on it, that means every square inch of the card is covered in costly toner.  Admittedly, not the most expensive stuff in the world, but it adds up. 

It's worth noting that I teach technical and professional writing, and our design principles trend towards minimalism :)  

I totally agree RE: a picture on the card.  This is an invaluable resource for new players!  More than once I've had to correct someone from my group when they went to move, say, a raptor instead of a talon, or vice-versa.  

2 people like this

Hmmm.... after listening to Vytau's well reasoned arguments. I'm on the BW side now. Minimialism is its own reward.

:)

J--

1 person likes this

I've been messing around with CAVs for about a decade now and I still mix up Talons and Raptors.

1 person likes this

As the OP of this thread, it's nice to know I'm not the only one thinking about this.... Has Jon weighed in on this in any previous thread or new item?

I agree with eliminating background graphics that just clutter up the design and sink my ink cartridges dry. My primary interest in color was for faction symbols.

I want to weigh in on this, though I'm leaning in the other direction:  I'd like to see smaller black-and-white data cards, that is, playing-card-sized data cards (or maybe 3x5 cards) that are cheap to print and easy to read. 

My group and I were experimenting with layout (pictured below) but never got farther than this prototype.  

I like your layout.

My biggest interest is being able to use dry-erase markers to cross out damage tracks, so I'd like to see a format that keeps the damage tracks big enough to be legible and easily markable. That might work on a playing card with the right scaling. I agree it would be nice to be able to shrink down from the current size

Edited by CarlZog
1 person likes this

I like your layout.

Thanks!  The big idea (and a major stumbling block for us in terms of page design) was to print front-and-back on stiff card, so on one side you'd have the picture, affiliation, SAs and so on, and on the back you'd have the game stats. 

Ultimately we figured out that the SA details weren't really necessary.  A number of forum users have remarked that with time and practice, it's pretty easy to memorize the most common SAs, and it's a small matter to look up one or two during play.  

AS to the color cards, I took them down to update them and add a bunch and have been waiting on the final art for the newer cards. We are working on a big update for the game with new errata/clarifications, our first scenario pack and such and am planning on everything hitting the deck at once.

I'm shooting for the end of the month or first week of Dec. I'm getting the Basic Training sets ready for shipment (On Nov 28 and 29th) and we had a LOT more of these ordered than expected! Which is good just need more time to pack them all up!

The only official cards I'm looking at doing are the color cards and the format printed by the construction program, but I'm always interested in feedback for other ideas down the road as I someday get caught up! :)

2 people like this