Kendal

Putty and Tools For A Newbie

Light coating of Vaseline and well polished tools.

Polish the tools with fine sandpaper?

I forgot what you said in class...

I work through fine sand paper and eventually to rubber polishing points on my Dremel.  Gene goes a step further and uses polishing compound on a buffing wheel for his final stage. His tools are shiny.

Thank you sir!

Light coating of Vaseline and well polished tools.

Polish the tools with fine sandpaper?

I forgot what you said in class...

I work through fine sand paper and eventually to rubber polishing points on my Dremel.  Gene goes a step further and uses polishing compound on a buffing wheel for his final stage. His tools are shiny.

I'm not convinced it makes much of a difference, but there is something nice about having properly polished super-shiny tools.

• Like 1

@Rod G: Yes, I use it daily.  I assume you are talking about Aves Apoxie Sculpt, two part putty.

51zXa9jtRPL_grande.jpg?v=1481314530

It is not very "friendly" when used alone, but when blended 1:1 or up to 2:1 with Green Stuff or Procreate, it results in a product that is fairly easy to work with, not messy (like the Aves alone is) and cures hard, allowing you to work it with tools.  If you look at any of my WIPS on here, this mix is the light green colored putty I use. For me, I like to use it for armatures, adding bulk, and anything I want a hard edge on.  I still prefer GS straight for organic shapes, which is why the last mm of most of my sculpts is made of GS.

• Like 6

My sculpting notes is just a pile of ideas from different sculptors, and I've gotten several different responses on the 1:1 Apoxie:GS.

That particular part is now:

GS:Apoxie, 1:1

• Super firm
  • Do not use for bases or feet! It is brittle!
  • Great for fingers and detail!
  • Armatures, adding bulk, and hard edges

What's real? :lol: If it's all of the above somehow, that's okay, I just need to confirm somewhere....

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

My sculpting notes is just a pile of ideas from different sculptors, and I've gotten several different responses on the 1:1 Apoxie:GS.

That particular part is now:

GS:Apoxie, 1:1

• Super firm
  • Do not use for bases or feet! It is brittle!
  • Great for fingers and detail!
  • Armatures, adding bulk, and hard edges

What's real? :lol: If it's all of the above somehow, that's okay, I just need to confirm somewhere....

I think you got the (bases and feet from me).  Th stand by the feet thing, but, it is my go to for bases now as it is rock hard and helps keep the bases from warping in the mold.

• Like 2

The best tools that I have found for sculpting are ones that I made myself, whose tips are actually sculpted from Greenstuff.  I wrote an article that describes how I made these sculpting tools, which I find work far better than official sculpting tools that you can buy.  You can find the article here: http://how-to-paint-miniatures.com/sculpting-home-made-tools.html

If you already have purchased Greenstuff (two-part blue/yellow epoxy putty), making a set of these tools will only cost about $5, compared with up to $35 for ones that I found on Amazon.  Also, if you want to get started right away, you can sculpt the tools using old paintbrushes as handles, or you can pick up the embossing tools that I used as a starting point for these sculpting tools for about $5 at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or other craft stores.