jsalyers

Terrain size?

9 posts in this topic

I see companies offering 10mm terrain. Is this a useful size for CAV?

Not sure what the policies are for posting links and/or mentioning other companies so I'll refrain.

Message me if you want to discuss specifics.

Thanks!

J--

2 people like this

Correct me if I'm wrong:: CAV uses 10mm  but can also use 6mm. 15mm can work too but 10 and 6 look better. 

1 person likes this

You're both right - CAV is in 10mm-ish scale (called "Heroic 10mm").  It corresponds to N-Scale railroad terrain, or 1:150.

6mm terrain can work as long as there aren't too many things that indicate the scale.  But anything with a door or is supposed to correspond to a human will look too small.

1 person likes this

I see companies offering 10mm terrain. Is this a useful size for CAV?

Absolutely!

Not sure what the policies are for posting links and/or mentioning other companies so I'll refrain.

If the rules posted in the Kickstarter subforum are accurate everywhere, then linking to any website that has a store or sells stuff is not allowed.  Discussion related to other companies happens regularly (pretty much the entirety of General Fantasy / Scifi / Historical / Kickstarter subforums).

Edited by Jeneki
1 person likes this

I've also been looking at some of the 10mm Planetfall terrain, but even after some clearance bargains, it's still pricey for my terrain budget.

I've resolved both the scale and cost issues by turning to papercraft terrain. There are a wealth of pdfs available, and it doesn't matter what the scale is, because you can simply shrink or enlarge the printing to get to scale. (Although to be fair, I'm still not sure how much cheaper it ends being after adding the cost an inkjet printer cartridge!)

I've started working on a city road layout using a pdf package that was meant for 28mm scale. By shrinking down the scale and printing multiple tiles per page, I've been able to start generating a pretty good urban layout. Combined with some creative crap terrain (styrofoam packing, electrical junction boxes, etc.), I'm hoping the whole thing should end up looking pretty good and probably serve as a more versatile package than simply investing in a handful of 10mm resin terrain structures for the same price. We'll see if I'm right. :P

1 person likes this

If you go to the Hawk Wargames site and click on Downloads at the top of the home page you will find a wealth of 10mm printable Building and Road templates.  Just the right size for all things CAV! :-)

2 people like this

Thanks, will check that out! Have a look at Dave Graffam's PDF set for collapsible apartment blocks. Can't remember if they are for 6mm or 10mm but they look great on my cav table!

1 person likes this