Darcstaar

The Godsmouth Heresy Recruitment

155 posts in this topic

Also, NightyKnight, did you want to pick traits?

And it looks like you went Favored Class Summoner and picked +1 HP, right?

If you guys want to try to come up with a background on why you might be here, here are some possibilities:

There is a prominent church of Pharasma.

There are several factions in the city.  The Ardoc Brotherhood(think wandering magistrates for hire, tinkers/crafters, construct makers), Commerce League(think merchant's guild), Duskwardens(guides that ferry people through the undercity), and Tallow Boys(male prostitutes, loose thieve's guild associates).

I'll finish the intro write up in the next day or two.

Good night.

Sillilial Calashi can't remember his birth parents, he supposedly just turned up at the local chapel one day, with no note and no warning. He was never a popular child despite the fact that he was by all accounts an aasmair. This was mostly due to his strange mental condition were he talked to an "angel" whom he said protected him. This went on for many years until he reached his 17th birthday. As he was walking from the small chapel to the local tavern the mayor's son, and his gang decided to play there favorite game of sill hunting. Running from the aggressors sill prayed to his dirty for aid, as the boys grew nearer to sillilial he felt a sudden peace wash over him, as the boys footsteps abruptly stopped, as they gazed open mouthed at the divine figure before them. They moved in thinking it a trick of the light. The next thing Sill remembered was his Guardian Angel Reaver carrying him away from the town. Never to return.

Sturgis Rochar is a simple priest of Sarenrae.  He's from the Bottoms in Kaer Maga, and he walks with a pronounced limp with his left leg.  He'll play it off that he "fell" and broke both his left arm and leg when he was much younger.  He's openly lying and he won't try to hide it (he's a terrible liar).  

The sad truth is that he was a little too excited to spread the faith, despite his knowing that it's not exactly easy in Kaer Maga to do so, especially for a "Crusader god."  He was jumped, and, only through the blessings of Sarenrae was he able to make it home and take the time to heal.  He's not so agile because of it, but he understands combat well enough not to let someone get the drop on him that well ever again.  He's not steady with a bow by any stretch, but he can hold a shield well enough to defend himself.  

Fire is a cleansing force for him, and it can be used for healing and to burn out corruption.   He acts as a healer for most, and, being a bit touched himself, he watches out for foreigners who get in over their heads, providing a word or two of wisdom before moving on.  He hopes they take the information, but it's not always something that happens.   He's also been very interested in the Duskwardens, for, while he is not a clasically trained warrior, he is very interested in the order, as it would give him and his "Crusader god" some legitimacy within the city as a whole. 

Being a townie, he's aware of many of the awful things that happen in Kaer Maga.  He's also painfully reminded that intervening would be folly, so he takes a diplomatic approach whenever he can, resorting to his weapons only when absolutely necessary.  He's still curious, but he's learned caution in his 26 years.

His search for The Brightness lead him to Kaer Maga. A city that did not appeal to him in any way. The Oriat, at least was full of artists and other such that he could move freely among, but other places within the city where less than ideal. Still his path to his destiny has led him this far, and he would not give up on the search

Ma'alik is recently arrived in Kaer Maga. He has left the deserts and plains of Garund and come to this place of overwhelming greenness, pulled by dreams he believe have been sent by his Goddess, Sarenrae.

The people here are strange, lacking the formality that he is used to when dealing with people. He feels that he can do much good amongst the people here, acting as an example of Sarenrae's redemption, and as a tool for Her fury if needed.

Good work on tie ins.

The next post is up in the playing. Post there how you want to proceed.

OK.

Now that we are getting close, a few housekeeping items.

1. Initiative.  In my other PBP, I think it worked out well to just go in order of initiative bonus, and have the same person rolling initiative.

Janalyth +5, so I want ShadowRaven to do the initiative rolls for the party, and the order of combat will go from there.

Janalyth

Sillilial

Ma'alik

Reaver

Sturgis

2. Light.  Who is going to keep the light going?

3. Marching Order.

Give me for 5 feet corridors, and 10 foot corridors.

4. Any "Default actions" you want to "program."  For example, you could do something like...

Janalyth will briefly examine all doors for traps (take 10) and if he doesn't find any, he'll look really thoroughly (take 20).  He'll disarm traps(roll).  If the door is locked, he'll unlock it (take 20).

Once that's done, he'll move back to his marching order.

Or, "When Sturgis casts a spell, he'll drop his scimitar (free action), cast the spell, then pick up the scimitar (move action)."

Setting this stuff up ahead of time reduces the amount of clarification I need to elicit.  It also reduces the assumptions and rule bending we have to do.

5. Room Perception vs Door Perception

I don't like the idea of having to search square by square, so I'll let you do room perception for secrets and traps from the doorway, for the whole room.

The door is a separate entity.  If it is a double-door, or archway, it will still be one roll.

This is a gift :)
For both of us.  There may be times I don't post a picture of the room, so it's not fair to ask you to pick a square in a room you can't see.

6. With each post you make in The Playing, add two extra d20 rolls at the bottom.

I use these for "DM Secret Stuff." like passive perception for traps, saving throws etc.  Most of them will be wasted rolls, but it also speeds up play that I have some rolls to assign for those types of developments.

7. Let's all be nice, have fun, and see how fast we can tear through this.  If you think I'm misinterpreting a rule, speak up here and we can hash it out.  This will be our Out of Character channel.  You can also post OOC into the Playing, just separate the comments and list which is OOC, or pick an OOC color if you'd like.  From time to time, I may send reminders of who is due to act.  If that isn't getting a response, I may PM instead.  I'll try to keep the action moving with at least 2  posts per week.

Let me know if you want any clarification.

1 person likes this

Sturgis claims #2, because he has the light spell.  He'll cast it on his hat. to make it easier to carry.

Sturgis is as slow as a dwarf, so he would work best near the front, probably next to Ma'alik in 10-foot corridors, or just behind him in 5-foot corridors.

When spellcasting in a hurry, he will drop his weapon if it requires Somatic components.  I will specifically note when he sheaths his weapon to cast a spell. 

If I say something OOC, I will turn the text GREEN. 

Edited by Darkmeer

marching order, will probably be in the back (archery) if not scouting. As for default actions, I think you hit the nail on the head with what I'm going to do under normal circumstances. 

2. I have torches but I would prefer to keep my hands free for fighting.  I am not adverse to being the target for a light cantrip.

3. I have no problem being at the front (as I am most likely the tanky-est).  Perhaps have the rogue in front to search with me as immediate backup.  Or Sturgis as I see Darkmeer has just posted.  edit: mullet formation go! (business in front, party rogue in back)

4.  Ma'alik will generally have his scimitar and shield at hand.  If he switches to his greatsword he will drop them (free action) and draw his greatsword.  (unless he's on a bridge or something where he would stand to lose them.  

2 people like this

Heh.  We were all posting within minute of each other.  If NightyKnight were around we could do real-time posting and power through the beginning. 

1 person likes this

Yes, SR, reshuffle your skills to include Disable Device

okay, just shuffling slight of hand over to disable device.