TheOldGuard

FS31 - Magic Fountain, Vintage Citadel miniatures

Hi All,

Here's a very old Citadel mini from my collection - FS31 Magic Fountain.

I did this as kind of an exercise in creating a verdigris effect on the spouting beasties, which I'm quite happy with. There is some Vallejo "Still Water" in the base of the fountain but it's hard to see in the pics.

post-14256-0-33762300-1480346358_thumb.jpg

post-14256-0-43756600-1480346361_thumb.jpg

Comments are always welcome, thanks for looking!

• Like 15

I love the tarnished effect. How did you do it?

Thanks!

I used Citadel paints (other brands are available ::):), the creatures were first painted to look like copper/bronze with Screaming Bell (base) > Agrax Earthshade (wash) > Hashut Copper (drybrush) > Sycorax Bronze (lighter drybrush).

Then, I mixed up 2 parts Sybarite Green to 1 part Lothern Blue with a touch of white to lighten it slightly. I watered this mix down a fair bit to make sure it flowed easily (about 3:1 water to paint). I then applied this carefully to the areas that I thought would remain the dampest over time - the deepest recesses & dribble areas under all the spouts etc.

When dry, I gave it a final light drybrush of Sycorax Bronze again just to pick out the extreme highlights.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      More Stuff I did on Summer Vacation.

PingosHusband gave me a set of Citadel "Sisters of the Thorn", female wood elves riding what are supposed to be deer, I think (although they have solid hooves and their antlers attach weirdly). Anyhow, they look pretty cool. The set also could make up some hunky shirtless male riders in creepy antlered masks, and I ended up making one of those along with four of the females.

And then there were parts left over.

Sooo ...  I had enough to make one more full male torso and one female torso lacking hair (and three male torsos that need hair and right arms, but that's a project for another day ...).

Well, what can you do with a torso?

Obviously, make centaurs (horse or spider) out of them. I lugged out my bin o' Bones and found 77264: Female Centaur sculpted by Sandra Garrity (There's a male centaur too, but interestingly the female "horse" part is larger and more robust than the male.) and 77182: Arachnid Archer sculpted by Gene van Horne.

I ruthlessly sliced off the human torso from the centaur and used a pin because I'm not sure how well epoxy adheres to Bones.

I carved the waist of the spider body a little to fit the elf torso, but I didn't take pictures of that. This is the figure fitted in but not yet glued. There wasn't any hair for this torso, so her face is only a hollow mask glued to the neck at a tiny contact point at the back of the chin, fragile and just a little creepy.

I mixed up some epoxy and drizzled little comma-shapes onto parchment paper, let them dry, and peeled them off. Then I mixed more epoxy and blobbed it into the back of the elf's skull and added dried epoxy commas until it looked more or less like hair.

Here are the two of them done:

• By lukimuki
      Captain in Terminator Armour - colour scheme copied from the product page itself! Green highlights on the "leaves" got a bit dull with varnish... Fingers not included 

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      I've been working on him off and on for a few months now. My goal was to get him as close as possible to the promotional art of him, (which Chrome is fighting me on posting, as my ref pics aren't on google drive...) which was an intimitating mix of red, brown and grey that reads as black. 

The browns are Ebony Skin mixed with Stormy Gray in varying amounts, the lighter spots are a light drybrush of Buckskin Pale to represent dust. 
    • By TheOldGuard
      "One of my favourite range of figures ever was Citadel's 1980's licensed "Lord Of The Rings" minis. I have finally decided to get all the miniatures I own painted up (over time) & try to acquire the ones which are missing from my collection (& paint them up too!)". Here is my next completed mini - Gandalf.

It's actually part of a blister of 3 minis (ME1 - Fellowship Heroes) which also includes Strider & Frodo.

He was quite nice to paint overall - not too complicated either.

Thanks for looking!

• By TheOldGuard
      "One of my favourite range of figures ever was Citadel's 1980's licensed "Lord Of The Rings" minis. I have finally decided to get all the miniatures I own painted up (over time) & try to acquire the ones which are missing from my collection (& paint them up too!)". Here is my next completed mini - Strider.

It's actually part of a blister of 3 minis (ME1 - Fellowship Heroes) which also includes Gandalf & Frodo.

I love the sculpting on this figure - grim yet regal. To make him look like he is roaming the wilds, I added some dirt onto the bottom of his cloak & boots by drybrushing a light brown followed by a dark brown nearest the bottom.

Thanks for looking!

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)