Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

14730 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

@Guindyloo Yes, should you need us...

Do what you need.

9 people like this

27 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Thank you all for your concern. To those of you who have sent me messages, please know that I do appreciate you checking in on me and I apologize if my unresponsiveness has caused anyone any undo worry. I'm doing ok but do still need some more time before I think I'll be ready to re-emerge. Thank you, again, for all of your concern, it means a lot to me.

Take whatever time and space you need.  Thanks for checking in.

12 people like this

45 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

The dentist kind of under stated the problem when talking to the oral surgeon... so they weren't able to pull the tooth. 

Apparently they'll need to sedate me because they're going to be doing some bone cutting.

This is going to suck.

"Liked" the post only so I could "unlike" it.

Really frustrated that dollar coins aren't in more widespread use. Hate putting in $5 and then having the machine sound like an old time Las Vegas slot machine paying out.

9 people like this

6 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

Yesterday (April 19th) was a somber day; flat in a way, contemplative. And I was not the only one. I texted my mother, brother and a friend and they all agreed. Something different about yesterday in the south. Not sure what.

Anyone else experience this? 

I don't know if Louisville counts as 'the south'. 

But I was too busy digging through data looking if there was any patterns to be decrened during the times night shift takes over for day shift. So 14:00 came and went without me noticing. 

7 people like this

1 minute ago, Thes Hunter said:

I don't know if Louisville counts as 'the south'. 

But I was too busy digging through data looking if there was any patterns to be decrened during the times night shift takes over for day shift. So 14:00 came and went without me noticing. 

Simple test: Is it south of the Mason Dixon line? Then it's the south.... amazing how many Marylanders don't understand/deny this.... I can't wait to get back north...

6 people like this

11 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Simple test: Is it south of the Mason Dixon line? Then it's the south.... amazing how many Marylanders don't understand/deny this.... I can't wait to get back north...

So ... Atlantic City, New Jersey?

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

Running out of spoons. 

I was out of spoons when I woke up yesterday, and the threatening churn of the stomach virus that has been running through my family has so far prevented

me from regaining any. 

1 person likes this

I don't know if the actual 'cultural' idea of the 'South' is as simple. Many people in Florida do not count themselves as part of the south, but then Border states such as my adopted home of Kentucky is very much the south. (I have seen maps with the Mason Dixon line drawn such that Kentucky is both above and below it, and one where the line cuts right through Louisville.)

I think this is an interesting map:

hickey-map-south2.png?quality=90&strip=a

10 people like this

3 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I don't know if the actual 'cultural' idea of the 'South' is as simple. Many people in Florida do not count themselves as part of the south, but then Border states such as my adopted home of Kentucky is very much the south. (I have seen maps with the Mason Dixon line drawn such that Kentucky is both above and below it, and one where the line cuts right through Louisville.)

Huh?  The Mason Dixon line was a survey in the eighteenth century that set the southern border of Pennsylvania.

Louisville?  Seriously?  What sort of mythology is this?

4 people like this

12 minutes ago, Pingo said:

So ... Atlantic City, New Jersey?

:mellow: I'm aiming a little more north than that.

4 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Huh?  The Mason Dixon line was a survey in the eighteenth century that set the southern border of Pennsylvania.

Louisville?  Seriously?  What sort of mythology is this?

Symbolism

In popular usage, the Mason–Dixon line symbolizes a cultural boundary between the North and the South (Dixie). Originally "Mason and Dixon's Line" referred to the border between Pennsylvania and Maryland. After Pennsylvania abolished slavery, it served as a demarcation line for the legality of slavery. That demarcation did not extend beyond Pennsylvania because Delaware, then a slave state, extended north and east of the boundary. Also lying north and east of the boundary was New Jersey, where slavery was formally abolished in 1846, but former slaves continued to be "apprenticed" to their masters until the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution in 1865.

The Missouri Compromise line had a much clearer geographic connection to slavery in the United States leading up to the Civil War.[28]

4 people like this

I consider "the south" to be any of those states or territories that allied with the Confederacy during the Civil War.  That puts Missouri in the south, though most folks here consider themselves "midwestern". The accent here is more "southern" than the flat accent associated with the midwest, and food styles closely associate with other traditionally southern food.   I find it amusing that folks in Ohio consider themselves in the midwest, when they are clearly east of the Mississippi River. :) 

6 people like this

Just now, Inarah said:

I consider "the south" to be any of those states or territories that allied with the Confederacy during the Civil War.  That puts Missouri in the south, though most folks here consider themselves "midwestern". The accent here is more "southern" than the flat accent associated with the midwest, and food styles closely associate with other traditionally southern food.   I find it amusing that folks in Ohio consider themselves in the midwest, when they are clearly east of the Mississippi River. :) 

Yes. Plus Maryland, who only stayed with the Union because the US army was camped here.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, kitchen_wolf said:

So, funny story about driver's licenses.  Guy in a 4,000 lb. metal box nearly killed me because he was texting, probably about something important like which drive-thru to bring home dinner from.  Not the funny part unless you're really into Kafka (a hostile universe can destroy you at random at any time - hilarity ensues).  When I renewed the license, there's a box to check about new medical conditions that might change my status.  Nearly killed applies, since I can't reliably stay awake behind the wheel, have some pretty serious balance issues, and if I so much as *ride* in a car have my verbal communication skills limited to, at best, "Buggerit! Millennium Hand and shrimp!".  DMV says it's cool - no license restrictions.  I figure that you should be fine.

Spoilered math nerd stuff:

Hide contents

From 2014 to 2015, smartphone ownership in the United States went up by 10.5%

From 2014 to 2015, traffic fatalities in the United States went up by 10.5%

I'm not used to correlations that strong in the wild.

2016 the correlation was less - smart phones up by 9.6%, fatal collisions up by 12%.   I am, shall we say, concerned about the fact that SWMBO can no longer telecommute.

Let me see if I understand you correctly:

You were injured in a crash with a semi, because the semi driver was texting. You had a very serious injury that resulted in brain damage that has had lasting effects on your vestibular and verbal processing. Such that when you are experiencing increased vestibular stimuli (ie. in a car) your brain is running out of circuits trying to compensate. Now have great challenges multi-tasking processing of Vestibular and verbal functions.

When you went to get your new license from the DMV, you disclosed the traumatic brain injury, and the DMV shrugged and didn't seem to care. Now you are using your excellent sense of humor to point out the whole absurdity of the situation (with the inclusion of some well placed Pratchett references.) Did I get that right?

10 people like this

The south is where Waffle House is!!!

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hugs, dear @Guindyloo. Don't worry about us worrying about you, we just like to know you're safe somewhere. ^^

Surprise eye exam! Our new optometrist could see us today, which means we'll get new glasses before our cruise! That's great because our prescriptions were 4 years old. 

And for the first time in almost 20 years, I'm getting a pair of glasses -I- like on my face. My eyebrows are big and bulky frames just make my face one big eyebrow..... But my prescription needs bigger frames to cover the bulky lens. I found cute frames I actually liked, and I decided to pay a little more for higher quality, thinner lenses. I'm excited! ::D:

Edited by Morihalda
16 people like this