Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

14975 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Huh?  The Mason Dixon line was a survey in the eighteenth century that set the southern border of Pennsylvania.

Louisville?  Seriously?  What sort of mythology is this?

It may be an issue of a non-authorative sources:

partial-southern-states.gif.3687643a4152d7bf520bee3a8d1bfc8c.gif

blank-map-of-the-united-states.jpg.0eb078b6d89200d6112c88a02fbbb064.jpg

5 people like this

haha, I was just stating "south" so you guys would know it happened in my region. I dont think this "phenomenon" is localized. 

5 people like this

1 minute ago, Arc 724 said:

haha, I was just stating "south" so you guys would know it happened in my region. I dont think this "phenomenon" is localized. 

It's funny how things tend to snowball in this thread...

7 people like this

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

The dentist kind of under stated the problem when talking to the oral surgeon... so they weren't able to pull the tooth. 

Apparently they'll need to sedate me because they're going to be doing some bone cutting.

This is going to suck.

I can't click like on this.

Well at least you'll be sedated.

10 people like this

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

It's funny how things tend to snowball in this thread...

True. My uncle liked to tell me. Your in the south if someone is below you. LOL. Hence making everyone in the south. Hahha #UncleLogic

Cheese-n-crackers what a day! I have had zero motivation to paint as of last. The past two weeks have just been blah blah with a capital BLAH

I THINK THAT HAS BEEN MY ISSUE... I have not created art in a while! MUCH CREATE! 

Edited by Arc 724
6 people like this

18 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I consider "the south" to be any of those states or territories that allied with the Confederacy during the Civil War.  That puts Missouri in the south, though most folks here consider themselves "midwestern". The accent here is more "southern" than the flat accent associated with the midwest, and food styles closely associate with other traditionally southern food.   I find it amusing that folks in Ohio consider themselves in the midwest, when they are clearly east of the Mississippi River. :) 

Why, so are Illinois and Indiana, and they are considered as solidly cornfed Midwestern as can be.

Or even further west, at least from the East Coast's perspective.  When I applied for graduate school to Parson's School of Design in New York City, they instead sent me materials from their Los Angeles branch because, as they said, I was in a western state (Illinois at the time, roughly one thousand miles closer to New York than to Los Angeles) and thus might prefer their more hinterland branch.

7 people like this

6 hours ago, Aryanun said:

Friday, June 9th, I am scheduled to take my road driving test. Passed the written a couple of years ago. Need a full-on license to get to ReaperCon.

I hope I pass. :blink:::o::unsure::wacko:::(:

Good luck!!

3 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Tasted sweet but reminded me of milk that had captain crunch become too soggy. And then the blue stuff mixed in and it became sour. And then just tasting the blue stuff itself, reminded me of vomit from an empty stomach. 

Yum. :zombie:

1 hour ago, Guindyloo said:

Thank you all for your concern. To those of you who have sent me messages, please know that I do appreciate you checking in on me and I apologize if my unresponsiveness has caused anyone any undo worry. I'm doing ok but do still need some more time before I think I'll be ready to re-emerge. Thank you, again, for all of your concern, it means a lot to me.

Hugs to you!

15 minutes ago, knarthex said:

The south is where Waffle House is!!!

Trooth!

RE: driver's license: I was actually qualified to operate a multi-million dollar naval vessel before I got my (car) license.

I was in Italy; I didn't need a car; everywhere I needed to go, I could walk to. If it was a good distance, I had a bicycle. If it was really far, Italy has pretty decent public transportation.

8 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

No snow in the south! :down:

Behold, new glasses in action:

I couldn't find a Sharpie for accent, oh well. 

20170420_164133.jpg

You're right, you do look much better (and happier) with the new specs!::P:

I'm glad you're happy with them.::):

12 people like this

*sigh* The whole 'fly over country" thing.  I think the idea of the 'mid-west' was started before the rest of the west was won. Thereby a large number of fairly Eastern (in the grand scheme, but not in the New York City sense) States are Mid-western. 

Including my own home state of Michigan. 

Though I do have some mild regret I stayed with a conventional school choice, and wish I would have gone to Parson's or Rhode Island School of Design or Pratt, I don't know if I would have picked a school with geographical ignorance. (Though I was not thoroughly happy with my Fine Art Education, I do note that it looks like they have made some positive changes. US News ranks them as a top art school, for whatever that is worth. I am also very excited about this current program.)

8 people like this

I'm /finally/ done with my resin minis project. I took photos and posted them on my blog, not all of them are great photos but I followed through unlike several of my projects that need photographing.

10 people like this

Kentucky is where Colonel Harlan Sanders is from, and that's enough for me to call it the South.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, Pingo said:

When I applied for graduate school to Parson's School of Design in New York City, 

My sister graduated from there.....

she is my age -3 for the time she would have gone...

Basically the south was the STATES that seceded from the Union.....

And that war was fought over states rights vs Federal Gov....

Edited by knarthex
2 people like this

47 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

No snow in the south! :down:

Behold, new glasses in action:

I couldn't find a Sharpie for accent, oh well. 

20170420_164133.jpg

The fact that you were inspired to draw and then post these sketches, in obvious expression of your joy is wonderful. 

art happens. 

I love these boards . 

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

I don't know if the actual 'cultural' idea of the 'South' is as simple. Many people in Florida do not count themselves as part of the south, but then Border states such as my adopted home of Kentucky is very much the south. (I have seen maps with the Mason Dixon line drawn such that Kentucky is both above and below it, and one where the line cuts right through Louisville.)

I think this is an interesting map:

hickey-map-south2.png?quality=90&strip=a

this is a pretty good map - but Missouri really does need to be cut in half.  People from St Louis, KC and Columbia(students) would all consider themselves northerners.  Small towns and everyone close to AR would consider themselves southerners. I-70 and southern edge of any city it runs through probably works as a border, 

Colorado is not the south (as shown above)  but it does have an occasional waffle house. 

Oklahoma really feels like the south, far more than shown above. Both my parents are from there.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
4 people like this

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

I consider "the south" to be any of those states or territories that allied with the Confederacy during the Civil War.  That puts Missouri in the south, though most folks here consider themselves "midwestern". The accent here is more "southern" than the flat accent associated with the midwest, and food styles closely associate with other traditionally southern food.   I find it amusing that folks in Ohio consider themselves in the midwest, when they are clearly east of the Mississippi River. ::): 

Amuricans are geographically challenged. 

5 people like this