Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

9805 posts in this topic

I have gotten highway hyonosis on a busy freeway during rush hour. I attrbute this to the migraines I get. It did happen on a route I was using frequestly, so being able to drive it "with my eyes closed" likely helped me manuever safely. @Unruly, this was on Mopac heading south from Far West Blvd. to the W. 1st St./Cesar Chavez exit. I'd take W 1st (it wasn't called Cesar Chavez back then) to Lamar, to Riverside. I lived on E. Riverside and took that route daily for 5+ years (working 6 days a week).

At that time, AC or windows rolled down plus loud music were what I used to break my focus. My mind has a tendency to wander.

5 people like this

I "road zone".  This leads to me thinking about other things while driving and then looking around and not realizing exactly where I am.  Eventually I pass a highway sign and realize that I've either missed my exit twelve exits ago, or that I've changed highways twice and am only five minutes from home.

This happened most frequently on liberty weekends where I spent the entire weekend gaming and left home at 2am Monday morning for the 2+ hour drive back to the base.

7 people like this

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

In addition to the Woofies advice I'll add 'stay hydrated'. And NOT with coffee. It's a diuretic...

This is a common misconception.  Caffeine is a diuretic. Coffee makes you pee (any liquid will) but you need about 40 cups per hour to get enough caffeine to effect forced diuresis. 

However, needing to pee will keep you awake on the road. 

11 people like this

My friends from Finland have given up on their refugee claim and are heading back. The cis wife is upset at leaving but excited to be going home; the trans wife (with whom I'm much closer, for reasons that are probably obvious) is upset at leaving and terrified of going "home". It's killing her, and seeing what it's doing to her is killing me. She's one of the kindest, sweetest, bravest, strongest, most generous people I've ever known, just an amazing person, and for the last few months the universe has been dangling hope in front of her and then kicking her, and then kicking her even harder when she's down. It's brutal. The only good thing is that we had a really good talk on Tuesday and while I'm still worried about the risk of suicide, it's at least a lot less of a worry than it was. Apparently a few of her friends all came up with the same basic plan of making sure that she was so convinced that we care about her that she'll never have any reason to doubt it, so now she's finally accepted that she has real friends and we really will do whatever we can to help her, come what may. So I'm glad that plan worked.

Now I just need to resist the urge to kidnap her and bring her home with me and wrap her in blankets and hug her until the world stops being awful to her.

... anyway. I've been mostly absent for a bit because of this, and I'm likely to be mostly absent for a while longer. If you don't hear from me for a few weeks you'll know why.

12 people like this

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Trooth.

6 people like this

So sorry canuckotter....

3 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:
9 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Trooth.

Very much so!

4 people like this

OK so I have to share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My company is closing on Weds the 29 to take the ENTIRE COMPANY to Mt. DOOM Paintball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And on top of that my boss has purchased for himself and his son full auto paintball guns. Lucky me, I'm on the production team. EVEN MORE SO, a buddy of mine just gave me his old caving need pads that actually fits.

• Side note: I have a really hard time finding good protection for my legs and find shoes. 

Good friday!

14 people like this

Dunno about that -  I remember once driving from Chicago to Minneapolis once during a blizzard - I stopped once at the side of the road to pee behind some bushes, and had to pee again really soon after.  With the blizzard, the darkness, and my level of fatigue, I still passed most of that extremely hazardous drive in a video-game state where I could not despite my best efforts remember that this was actually me driving my actual car on an actual road.  All this while I desperately had to pee.

8 people like this

Yeah, that needing to pee is helping you keep awake and alert is a bit of a myth. It will probably keep you awake for a while, but it will also take your concentration away from what is happening around you. 

6 people like this

1. Give me Black coffee or give me Death
  2. Black coffee nation without representation
  3. One Mug, filled with Coffee, with sugar and creamer for all.
3 people like this

Some people really really need a kick in the sporks.

Just sayin'.

7 people like this

10 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Some people really really need a kick in the sporks.

Just sayin'.

If you kick a spork long enough it becomes a fork.. or worst a butter knife.

5 people like this

I keep getting pings from my phone that I've gotten a new e-mail... but it has yet to be either the job offer/start date or the Bones update... :zombie:

8 people like this

Payloads outbound. Targets down range will be hit at various intervals. 

7 people like this

I get to stop at wawa for lunch! (because I'm an idiot and forgot my medicine at home this morning)

5 people like this