Jump to content
Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

Recommended Posts

Just now, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Just got a call for an interview for a one month contract, with option for union job afterwards.:upside:

AWESOME!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canuckotter said:

My friends from Finland have given up on their refugee claim and are heading back. The cis wife is upset at leaving but excited to be going home; the trans wife (with whom I'm much closer, for reasons that are probably obvious) is upset at leaving and terrified of going "home". It's killing her, and seeing what it's doing to her is killing me. She's one of the kindest, sweetest, bravest, strongest, most generous people I've ever known, just an amazing person, and for the last few months the universe has been dangling hope in front of her and then kicking her, and then kicking her even harder when she's down. It's brutal. The only good thing is that we had a really good talk on Tuesday and while I'm still worried about the risk of suicide, it's at least a lot less of a worry than it was. Apparently a few of her friends all came up with the same basic plan of making sure that she was so convinced that we care about her that she'll never have any reason to doubt it, so now she's finally accepted that she has real friends and we really will do whatever we can to help her, come what may. So I'm glad that plan worked.

 

Now I just need to resist the urge to kidnap her and bring her home with me and wrap her in blankets and hug her until the world stops being awful to her.

 

... anyway. I've been mostly absent for a bit because of this, and I'm likely to be mostly absent for a while longer. If you don't hear from me for a few weeks you'll know why.

 

I'm so sorry.  Your friend is facing some real horror and I wish there were something we could do.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

I have told Elder spawn that driers licenses are for 17yr olds.  I have told her this her entire life.  lets see if I can keep holding out.

wife just shrugs. The neighbors kid got a (2015ish) BMW for her 16th birthday. Yah that's not happening either. 

 

On the other hand I have a family friend, who has two kids, the wife had a stroke the year before I met her, and uses a walker, and still occasionally has falling spells.  Their son is getting a permit as soon as he hits 15, and a license on his following birthday. more power to them. 

Dad let us drive as soon as we were able to enroll.  The next thing he gifted us with were used vehicles and showed us how to do basic maintenance on them.  If I ever had kids, I was going to take that a step further and help them purchase a car when they were younger that they would have to do more than just basic maintenance on.  Not only would they learn how to take care of the car, but they would learn to care for it because they put their own blood and sweat into restoring it and be less likely to treat it as a disposable resource.

 

17 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

 

this is a pretty good map - but Missouri really does need to be cut in half.  People from St Louis, KC and Columbia(students) would all consider themselves northerners.  Small towns and everyone close to AR would consider themselves southerners. I-70 and southern edge of any city it runs through probably works as a border, 

Colorado is not the south (as shown above)  but it does have an occasional waffle house. 

Oklahoma really feels like the south, far more than shown above. Both my parents are from there.  

I am a 6th generation Texan, so I still see the old boundaries of Texas.  I can picture that next to the Old South.  Oddly enough, I don't include all of the Louisiana Purchase in that same mental designation.  But according to my mental picture, parts of Colorado would be included in the South, but not all of it.  The Sooner mischief outweighs much of the South designation and probably railroaded them right out.  Horses and ranches do not the south make.

 

3 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Ugh.  Last night I dreamed we had a 4y/o placed with us despite us not being foster parents any more, and DSS took our adopted 7y/o because of that placement.  We were all really angry and talking with lawyers about lawsuits with Extreme Prejudice.

 

Then our dogs joined the neighbors dogs in singing us the songs of their people.  At 2:30 AM.

 

Then I dreamed I was in a pirate world and because someone took an artifact there was a line of burningness traversing the world.  I didn't get to shelter in time and was transformed into an aquatic Agents of Shield type Inhuman.  It was really fun, until my alarm went off.

 

Uggg.

My dreams last night were influenced by too much Grimm and specifically the Black Fly guy.  Too many things with long hairy things going over it running right in front of my eyes.  

 

2 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I have gotten highway hyonosis on a busy freeway during rush hour. I attrbute this to the migraines I get. It did happen on a route I was using frequestly, so being able to drive it "with my eyes closed" likely helped me manuever safely. @Unruly, this was on Mopac heading south from Far West Blvd. to the W. 1st St./Cesar Chavez exit. I'd take W 1st (it wasn't called Cesar Chavez back then) to Lamar, to Riverside. I lived on E. Riverside and took that route daily for 5+ years (working 6 days a week).

 

At that time, AC or windows rolled down plus loud music were what I used to break my focus. My mind has a tendency to wander.

The worst incident I had of this was on the elevated I-35 Expressway.  I needed to turn off at MLK to go to my 8 am class, but was sleepy from working the 10-6 shift at HEB on Rundberg and Lamar.  I woke up staring at the median with the guardrail.  I think all of my tires were in the yellow striping.  I reacted quickly and made the exit I needed, but my heart was racing for quite some time after that one.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

*snip*

 

The worst incident I had of this was on the elevated I-35 Expressway.  I needed to turn off at MLK to go to my 8 am class, but was sleepy from working the 10-6 shift at HEB on Rundberg and Lamar.  I woke up staring at the median with the guardrail.  I think all of my tires were in the yellow striping.  I reacted quickly and made the exit I needed, but my heart was racing for quite some time after that one.

 

Ugh. I had a friend who was involved in a hit and run on the NB side of the elevated 35 downtown. Nearly pushed him off. Either side is bad at that time of the morning. The entrance and exit ramps are way too short.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canuckotter said:

My friends from Finland have given up on their refugee claim and are heading back. The cis wife is upset at leaving but excited to be going home; the trans wife (with whom I'm much closer, for reasons that are probably obvious) is upset at leaving and terrified of going "home". It's killing her, and seeing what it's doing to her is killing me. She's one of the kindest, sweetest, bravest, strongest, most generous people I've ever known, just an amazing person, and for the last few months the universe has been dangling hope in front of her and then kicking her, and then kicking her even harder when she's down. It's brutal. The only good thing is that we had a really good talk on Tuesday and while I'm still worried about the risk of suicide, it's at least a lot less of a worry than it was. Apparently a few of her friends all came up with the same basic plan of making sure that she was so convinced that we care about her that she'll never have any reason to doubt it, so now she's finally accepted that she has real friends and we really will do whatever we can to help her, come what may. So I'm glad that plan worked.

 

Now I just need to resist the urge to kidnap her and bring her home with me and wrap her in blankets and hug her until the world stops being awful to her.

 

... anyway. I've been mostly absent for a bit because of this, and I'm likely to be mostly absent for a while longer. If you don't hear from me for a few weeks you'll know why.

 

I hope your friend will be allright somehow.

Is there no way at all to persue a citizenship or something?

 

Is Finland dangerous to them?

There are European countries ( like the Netherlands...) who are pretty liberal about these things.

Maybe that's an option?

 

Anyway, I wish your friends and you the best.

 

We will be here, waiting for you!

 

 

31 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Just got a call for an interview for a one month contract, with option for union job afterwards.:upside:

 

Yes! Good news, I do hope this will turn the tide for you!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

 

I hope your friend will be allright somehow.

Is there no way at all to persue a citizenship or something?

 

Is Finland dangerous to them?

There are European countries ( like the Netherlands...) who are pretty liberal about these things.

Maybe that's an option?

 

Anyway, I wish your friends and you the best.

 

We will be here, waiting for you!

 

Only earlier this month the European Court on Human Rights finally declared as a serious violation of human rights the forced sterilization of transgendered people which Finland along with far too many European countries has enforced for decades.

 

But the court has almost no enforcement power and all the disgraceful mandatory sterilization laws still stand in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine.

 

There may be a glimmer of hope at last, but we are not there yet.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pingo said:

 

Only earlier this month the European Court on Human Rights finally declared as a serious violation of human rights the forced sterilization of transgendered people which Finland along with far too many European countries has enforced for decades.

 

But the court has almost no enforcement power and all the disgraceful mandatory sterilization laws still stand in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Finland, Georgia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine.

 

There may be a glimmer of hope at last, but we are not there yet.

 

Well the Netherlands are safe.

I must say, I was shocked to see Belgium and Luxembourg in this list.

I doubt they would do this, maybe an ancient law??? I hope...

 

Most of these countries are eastern Europe and Turkey is Islamic, I kinda expected them to be on the list.

But our Belgian neighbours ?

 

I wish we could get to the point where it really doesn't matter who you love or who you are...

Maybe we should all be dogs instead, they don't care who you are and love you anyway...

 

 

DSCN6888.JPG

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Dad is a veteran and thinks any non-straight, non-cis need to be taken to an uninhabited island and shot. :down:

 

I do NOT share his views, nor do my children. One of my proudest parental moments was my eldest saying, "People should be allowed to love whoever they love."

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

My Dad is a veteran and thinks any non-straight, non-cis need to be taken to an uninhabited island and shot. :down:

 

I do NOT share his views, nor do my children. One of my proudest parental moments was my eldest saying, "People should be allowed to love whoever they love."

 

Liked for this.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arc 724 said:

If you kick a spork long enough it becomes a fork.. or worst a butter knife.

 

In this case it might be for the best.  Said spork is acting like a foon.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:
11 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

My Dad is a veteran and thinks any non-straight, non-cis need to be taken to an uninhabited island and shot. :down:

 

I do NOT share his views, nor do my children. One of my proudest parental moments was my eldest saying, "People should be allowed to love whoever they love."

 

Liked for this.

Same.

 

Okay, lunch consumed. Debating going for a walk. Should have done it earlier when the sky was still cloudy.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×