Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

12026 posts in this topic

I just discovered that the dogs destroyed the fully-rigged cardstock ship I made for the kid (not the one I posted yesterday).  I am displeased.

2 people like this

Furry 4 legged Krakens?

11 people like this

35 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

It looks like the cat is blaming you!

She just has no idea what the noise the phone makes when it focuses means. 

She is skeptical that the noise means food.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Convert to Open is the phrase. It means, that for some reason Laporscopic has failed, Usually because the organ in question is ruptured, or they can't get the angles they need, or having a hard time visualizing what they should cut, and what they don't want to cut. That means they need to do the surgery the 'old fashion' way. And cut a big incision and pull the tissue back in order to see what they need. Sorry your husband's lap chole had to be converted to open. Lap Chole being what the peeps I trained with called the Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy, aka the Gallbladder removal surgery. 

Back when I was a student, I saw a number of lap chole's, they were pretty neat. They were also usually short, which to my flat feet, and recalcitrant digestive system made them top on my list to watch. But I haven't been in an OR for anything other than intubation training in 5+ years. So there is always a chance any thing I speak about in regards to surgery is wrong. 

Do you know the reason why they needed to convert your husband to an open procedure?

My husband hates kicking up a fuss and doesn't complain much about pain, and I guess they underestimated just how bad a shape his gallbladder was in.  Some time into the procedure one of the surgeons came out to tell me that they couldn't do a laparoscopy because things were worse and farther along than they had expected.  It took a lot longer than they had estimated too.  

That was a long, scary day.  Thank goodness my sister was taking care of our kids because I wasn't sure I could keep a calm face on.

The staff at the hospital were very kind, I have to say.  I'm sure they see a lot of distressed family (and of course our problem was nowhere near the darkest end of medical procedures).

Anyhow, my husband has long since recovered.

Edited by Pingo
Minor spelling flub
12 people like this

1 hour ago, Evilhalfling said:

we had a party line when I was growing up too, but a rotary dial phone.  Mostly my family had it to ourselves, but I spent at least one afternoon listening or annoying another family that used the line.

I can't remember if we still had the party line when I was real little or not. I know my parents had it with the rotary phone. Dad used to laugh about how a bunch of neighbour's favourite entertainment was listening to other people's business. Sometimes they couldn't help but comment on what they heard or somebody would come in and start talking not realising what was going on. Then the one's that were being spied on would get all upset and try to figure out who was listening. Back before internet and cable TV you had to do something to amuse yourself I guess.

Loaned a friend my garden tiller and a piece jammed on it. Ruined a pulley and a belt. Thought no big deal those are common parts and shouldn't cost much. Can't find them in any canadian stores. From the US they cost $50 plus $30+ shipping. Found the belt on ebay for $17 shipping included but the stinkin pulley will cost as much or more to ship than the pulley itself. Add in exchange and duty and it's awful expensive for a quarter pound chunk of nylon. Supposedly there's some small stores not too far away that repair them so tomorrow I need to make some calls. Annoys me when shipping is the same cost as what I'm ordering.

5 people like this

15 hours ago, Pingo said:
15 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I hate it when I get gods stuck in my head...

They do make things interesting.

No, the inside of my head is always interesting.

They just make it annoying - there are already far too many damn people in there.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Zink said:

I have. I do 99% of the repairs on my farm and houses. The house pump out at the farm sometimes needs to be primed if I've done any work where the water drained out of it.

My father, my brother and myself do all our own plumbing, so we often end up with the entire system drained and need to restart it the old-school way...

Also, when I close up my pool at the end of the summer I drain the pipes, close them off, and disassemble the filter for storage. So I have to refill the system before I can run the filter.

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - I have also used a crank telephone on a party line in Kansas, circa 1970. (Turning the crank rang the bell on all the phones on your party's lines - and there was a list of what series of rings was used for each person on that party line.... First you rang the operator - so she could connect you to the right party line, and then you rang the ring for the person that you wanted to talk to - but everybody could pick up and listen....) I was way too young to appreciate all the opportunities for mischief...

I've used a crank telephone before - but only to commit a minor felony, not to call anybody, lol...

My mom's uncle used to have one that he kept in his truck...

Yes, when I was eight he taught me how to telephone the fish. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mad Jack
3 people like this

1 hour ago, Froggy the Great said:

I just discovered that the dogs destroyed the fully-rigged cardstock ship I made for the kid (not the one I posted yesterday).  I am displeased.

Dislike...

6 people like this

2 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Time to show them the ribrage!!! 

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Furry 4 legged Krakens?

This is quality material.

Which is to say:

WGPMZlc.jpg

Edited by Marvin
4 people like this

I just remembered I'm currently bidding on something on EvilBay, lol...

Four days left on the auction. I'll need to remind myself to check on it at least once a day, so I don't forget about it..

6 people like this

13 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Time to show them the ribrage!!! 

Are the ribs boneless?

4 people like this

2 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Are the ribs boneless?

Bones. Yes. Skullless. No. 

4 people like this

The wyvern surprised me. Came up in the woods. Or perhaps it was the woods. And then the kingdom either that God promised Abraham or with which Satan tempted Christ. Or home.

1 person likes this

Holy broccoli, down the rabbit hole of Tombstone clips on YouTube.

EVERYONE IN THIS MOVIE WAS SO GOOD.

3 people like this