Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

12332 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

Out of curiosity, why hell?

I mean, I don't think it's super fun, but it is not like I am being tortured.

I have some sort of mental thing that I don't really buckle down to get stuff done until I "Go somewhere". So I'd kick around and procrastinate and wouldn't ever get stated and then feel guilty and then avoid work more and then develop a low self esteem because why is it so hard for me to just start working? (I become convince it must be because I'm lazy and not because I'm just wired this way.)  and then I decompensate into a pile of goo. 

So, lose my job, lose my self worth, lose everything, hell.

I know it works for some people, but it doesn't work for me.

7 people like this

6 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I have some sort of mental thing that I don't really buckle down to get stuff done until I "Go somewhere". So I'd kick around and procrastinate and wouldn't ever get stated and then feel guilty and then avoid work more and then develop a low self esteem because why is it so hard for me to just start working? (I become convince it must be because I'm lazy and not because I'm just wired this way.)  and then I decompensate into a pile of goo. 

So, lose my job, lose my self worth, lose everything, hell.

I know it works for some people, but it doesn't work for me.

Actually, yes...this is how I felt, more or less, when I did this job before I started my PhD program.  The only thing that kept me motivated during that time was the promise that i'd be working on my PhD soon.  I am back at the job for the summer and the only thing preventing my mental collapse is the promised that I'll be back at school in 10 weeks. 

11 people like this

46 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Last I knew, around age 14, I was not allergic, but DH is VERY much so.  He had to see a doctor last time. I have not been inclined to test my immune system.  Hmn, Sunday is looking like a good, dry day for spraying. 

Some friends cleared out an abandoned property they bought last year. They had vines as big around as my forearm, going up into 50ft trees.  *shudder*   And of course they couldn't burn any of what they cleared, it all had to be cut up and bagged. 

Noxious weeds are the worst.  We've got creeping buttercup, which isn't as nasty to touch, but it's really hard to get rid of without a "nuke it from orbit" option like Roundup.  Even then, dormant seeds can survive so long that we've literally started over with the lawn only to have buttercups the next summer.  :grr:  

Baldur, I find that little mental stimulation breaks and stretch breaks help a lot.  (Or did, back when I had a desk job.)  Checking the forums counts, in my mind.  ^_^

7 people like this

19 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

Actually, yes...this is how I felt, more or less, when I did this job before I started my PhD program.  The only thing that kept me motivated during that time was the promise that i'd be working on my PhD soon.  I am back at the job for the summer and the only thing preventing my mental collapse is the promised that I'll be back at school in 10 weeks. 

It also sounds like you have a external force that dictates a start time. That would help. Things all on my own motivation don't go well when I stay at home.

5 people like this

32 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Brunch consumed. Wife got a "cowboy omelet": ham and cheese smothered in sausage gravy along with three pancakes. Came out and it appeared they used about a dozen eggs on it.

Personally, for me working from home a combination of tortures. I'm so close to hobby stuff, but shouldn't even glance at the minis. Then, I feel I shouldn't let myself get distracted and should concentrate on work. For some reason I feel distractions (coworker stories about nothing, etc) while at the office are acceptable, and are just part of the cost of doing business.

Yum!!!

And I feel the same way about working at home. So hard to be motivated when all my fun stuff is Right There!

5 people like this

4 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Baldur, I find that little mental stimulation breaks and stretch breaks help a lot.  (Or did, back when I had a desk job.)  Checking the forums counts, in my mind.  ^_^

Yes it definitely does.  Why do you think my forum presence has increased 100x since the beginning of may! :lol:

If it was not for this, I don't know how I would survive lol.  The highlight of my day is when I get a call from France and the person thinks that I am unintelligible because French with an Icelandic accent is...probably really unintelligible lol.

9 people like this

20 minutes to go... 

And still no update on Bones 3... *sigh* maybe by the time I get home?

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Froggy the Great said:

On your hands, if my prior encounters with that viney beast are any indication.

I've always been immune to poison ivy and poison oak, I pull it up out of our blueberry bushes pretty much year round. 

6 people like this

6 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

The highlight of my day is when I get a call from France and the person thinks that I am unintelligible because French with an Icelandic accent is...probably really unintelligible lol.

5 people like this

Yes...more or less exactly that. 

5 people like this

11 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

20 minutes to go... 

And still no update on Bones 3... *sigh* maybe by the time I get home?

I feel the same.  I can be incredibly patient as long as I know roughly how long I'm supposed to wait for.  Not knowing makes me impatient.  Knowing other people are getting upset makes me very anxious as well.  It all just nags at the back of my brain.  

Or alternately I could obsess about how my 9th grader is at risk of failing English and History if she can't catch up on her work...  Which likewise is something I have little control over but will feel bad about.  

7 people like this

2 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I feel the same.  I can be incredibly patient as long as I know roughly how long I'm supposed to wait for.  Not knowing makes me impatient.  Knowing other people are getting upset makes me very anxious as well.  It all just nags at the back of my brain.  

Or alternately I could obsess about how my 9th grader is at risk of failing English and History if she can't catch up on her work...  Which likewise is something I have little control over but will feel bad about.  

Yes, exactly. I wasn't at all anxious about it till yesterday, when it all got cranked up to 11, not at all helped by the weather...

Well time to go! Date night!!

7 people like this

Ok. It's 16:27, I've been here longer than I thought I would be. Last thing I knew it was 15:00. 

But it there are still some abberations between orders ordered and orders given. (I.e. It looks like we are missing more doses than we actually are.) I'm going to tackle this on Monday. I had hoped I would be done with this 'simple' change by last Monday. 

But with the tinkering I've done today, it will be a stronger report. Less background noise. 

So so hopefully the big boss is too busy with cleaning up her mail box when she gets back on Monday to notice I didn't get what I said done done this week.

qnd I can get this done next Monday. 

6 people like this

7 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

I'm tired and don't want to leave the bed. 1st world problems I know. 

Gonna force myself into work, get the one thing done I need to get done, and come home. That's the plan. (This usually leads me to staying until 6PM.)

You need to to rework that plan.::P:

6 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Who's messing with my brain??? Just me?

I could have sworn I put that in Randomness. I thought I was reading Randomness.

Wat.

You are currently suffering 'post vacation brain'.

Enjoy it!::D:

6 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Oh I know, but they need to be nipped in the bud fast. All it takes is a few to start negative comments, and then suddenly a bunch of others are piling on like lemmings. Got to put some perspective on it and try to remain positive, the ball is rolling now.

Exactly.

5 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Day off. Slept late, then took daughter to school. Now at wife's physical. Will head to the theatre to get seats for GotG2 tonight, then head to a breakfast place for brunch. Then... I'm not really sure. Hadn't planned that far ahead. 

This is how grand adventures begin.

5 hours ago, Argentee said:

Heading to small local con for the weekend! Wheee!

https://oasfis.org/oasis/

Have fun!

7 people like this

But, heres how it goes:

im busy in the am, cause other people are in the office and email is a distraction. (I need my focus if I'm writing complicated sql.) 

Then I get down in the weeds in the afternoon, and I get hot on the trail of solving my current puzzle. Soon my queries hit there mark... and though I may have drawn blood, usually it only rises more questions. But I've smelled blood and I'm not going to stop until I can lift my blood soaked muzzle in howl announcing my victory. 

But then I look at the clock and it has somehow become 18:46 and the heavy humid dusk is setting over the land. 

6 people like this