Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

This drawing I am drawing is taking forever.

Okay, it's only on its second day, but I just got some new pens sitting right over there I'd like to try out and it's hard to focus on keeping the pencil tones smooth.

• Like 11

Going to sleep, wasted a few hours playing Civ IV.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

But, heres how it goes:

im busy in the am, cause other people are in the office and email is a distraction. (I need my focus if I'm writing complicated sql.) 

Then I get down in the weeds in the afternoon, and I get hot on the trail of solving my current puzzle. Soon my queries hit there mark... and though I may have drawn blood, usually it only rises more questions. But I've smelled blood and I'm not going to stop until I can lift my blood soaked muzzle in howl announcing my victory. 

But then I look at the clock and it has somehow become 18:46 and the heavy humid dusk is setting over the land. 

Find a handy CS intern that likes to do reports and queries?  I was totally that intern once upon a time...

• Like 6

I organized Zombicide this morning but other than that I've gotten nothing done. I woke up too early and now the mix of too much caffeine and not enough sleep is hitting me hard and I can't function properly to be productive. If I can find where I put the good bags I'll go play around with my minis organization instead of just having them loose in a drawer. It's not something that needs doing now but it'll keep me awake long enough until I can either nap or actually wake up some more.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

Noxious weeds are the worst.  We've got creeping buttercup, which isn't as nasty to touch, but it's really hard to get rid of without a "nuke it from orbit" option like Roundup.  Even then, dormant seeds can survive so long that we've literally started over with the lawn only to have buttercups the next summer.  :grr:  

Baldur, I find that little mental stimulation breaks and stretch breaks help a lot.  (Or did, back when I had a desk job.)  Checking the forums counts, in my mind.  ^_^

Can you send me some seeds ?

• Like 7

Hmmm, I seem to have aquired two more teen ageged girls for the night; or the weekend.  I am unsure of which.  One will be here for the weekend, the other I'm not sure about.  Awesome Wife knows but she is running a third teenaged girl around. (none of these extra three belong to me).

3 minutes ago, Argentee said:

Why do I mistrust a Sith asking for invasive plants?

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Find a handy CS intern that likes to do reports and queries?  I was totally that intern once upon a time...

LOL. Soooooo...... At some point, the upper level management was supposedly told by National to not waste resources on Data Analysts, that the National and Regional Offices would handle this, and that is where the resources were better located. My upper level management believed this, until I got access to the SQL server. Muhahahahaha.

There are two people who can write SQL at the local level, me and a nurse who is self taught. That leaves me as the most experienced SQL 'developer'. (The quotes are because I don't know enough about indexing and optimization to call myself a developer.) 

There is talk of the Director's son coming on board for a month long internship, and he is getting a degree in informatics. We don't know if he writes SQL code or not.  I have no idea what an Informatics bachelor's degree entails, so I don't know if we can assume he knows SQL.

But even if he writes SQL, there is then the whole problem with my 'mentor' always throwing a wrench into any plans that would get me more exposure with upper management. I may have that under control, but I can't count on it enough to promise I would help mentor him to help unload some of my work.

So, for a large number of questions we want answered, I remain the only source to answer them. Hooray for me?

3 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I have survived another county teen arts day. 

Now work should quiet down for a month or two. 

Now I'm curious what you do, and how it interfaces with county teen arts day.

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I have survived another county teen arts day. 

Now work should quiet down for a month or two. 

Oh...

Oh... you used the "q" word... I'm so so sorry for you... 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

Now I'm curious what you do, and how it interfaces with county teen arts day.

Media tech at a community college. Most of the year that means trouble shooting computers and projection, installing TVs, doing a little bit of sound board or lighting kind of stuff. 

But the day after graduation, we host an event where all the county high schools are invited to send their students for a day of arts workshops and concerts. So I end up spending the first 3 hours of the day sprinting around the campus making sure art teachers can get into computers, and dance instructors have music. Then around 10 am I switch to stage managing the out door open mic. So a lot of herding cats and getting guitars hooked up with amps in a hurry. 

Then once a they're all back on the busses we tear it all down and reset for the start of summer classes. 

It always ends up being a super hard day, but the kids have fun, and it serves as a solid visual reminder to management that even if you don't see my department much, we are very good at what we do.

• Like 8

I found myself to be the senior member of my division that was still at work about 3:30.  I promptly did what any right thinking management type should do in that situation on a Friday afternoon and told those still there to head out and have a nice weekend. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

I found myself to be the senior member of my division that was still at work about 3:30.  I promptly did what any right thinking management type should do in that situation on a Friday afternoon and told those still there to head out and have a nice weekend. 

Good... Ummm... Elder being!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Argentee said:

I really wouldn't wish this plant on my worst enemy.  Better for the common good, etc.  

Thes, I'm not sure whether to laugh, cry or put my head in my hands at that level of work politics.  But yes, an informatics degree should involve SQL experience, from what I understand.  

• Like 5