Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

14562 posts in this topic

Randomness XII: Squirrels!!!!!!

6 people like this

Randomness XII: All the good titles were taken

7 people like this

Randomness XII: okay this is the spot... Really! I'm sure of it this time!

6 people like this

Randomness XII: Too Fast, Too Random

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

11 people like this

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Oh, I already knew that. I've also encountered a few that I've been sooper allergic to. As in my allergy medicine did practically nothing. :P

The problem is that I decided long ago that when we get a kitty (after I do allergy shots or have a prescription strength allergy med), I want to adopt from a shelter. Unless it's a purebred from one of the breeds know to be less allergy inducing, I don't really have a way of knowing whether I'll be less allergic to it. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

Generally speaking, female cats are better at grooming themselves and will have less dander.  If you start early and have a sweet-tempered kitty you can also do regular baths which will reduce the dander & saliva on their coats.  We have a Devon Rex female, and she generally causes less reactions from most people.  (She's got less fur, she's small and she keeps herself pretty clean.  She's also reasonably tolerant of baths.)

BUT!  Even better is the fact that a) Xyzal was a prescription allergy med that just became available over the counter and it's stronger than Zyrtec and b) you can get treated for cat allergies with sublingual tablets now instead of shots.  Fewer doctor's visits and less general hassle.  So if you encounter random kitties you might be able to get proper relief and when you're ready for immunotherapy it could be much easier than you expected.  

Not really sure why I went off on that tangent...  Other than allergy problems suck.  I think I'm on year 4 of shots, because I'm allergic to pretty much every pollen known to man.  ::P:

9 people like this

5 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Generally speaking, female cats are better at grooming themselves and will have less dander.  

#notalltomcats

:poke:

Lunch time. 

4 people like this

43 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Randomness XII: okay this is the spot... Really! I'm sure of it this time!

Narrator (voiceover): This, too, was not the spot

9 people like this

25 minutes ago, LordJosh said:

Narrator (voiceover): This, too, was not the spot

YES!!!:lol::lol::lol:

5 people like this

28 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Generally speaking, female cats are better at grooming themselves and will have less dander.  If you start early and have a sweet-tempered kitty you can also do regular baths which will reduce the dander & saliva on their coats.  We have a Devon Rex female, and she generally causes less reactions from most people.  (She's got less fur, she's small and she keeps herself pretty clean.  She's also reasonably tolerant of baths.)

BUT!  Even better is the fact that a) Xyzal was a prescription allergy med that just became available over the counter and it's stronger than Zyrtec and b) you can get treated for cat allergies with sublingual tablets now instead of shots.  Fewer doctor's visits and less general hassle.  So if you encounter random kitties you might be able to get proper relief and when you're ready for immunotherapy it could be much easier than you expected.  

Not really sure why I went off on that tangent...  Other than allergy problems suck.  I think I'm on year 4 of shots, because I'm allergic to pretty much every pollen known to man.  ::P:

Tangent very much appreciated! ::D: I hadn't heard of Xyzal, I'll look into it. I've had fairly good results with Claritin (I finally broke down and get the name brand now after having very mixed results with various generics of it over the years), but I'm always willing to look into other options.

I'm very glad to hear about the tablets! When we are in a position to bring a furry friend or two into our lives, I'll make sure to discuss that option with my doctor/future allergist.

I had the great fortune to actually meet a pair of Rexes Rexs Rex kitties a few months ago, and that quite changed my mind about them. They were very soft, extremely cuddly and inquisitive, and (at least the two I met) very intelligent. They also behaved in every way like any ol' cat (other than being more energetic that most cats I've met). Yes, I would miss the floofiness, but if it would let us have a cat or cats at last, I could put up with that. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

6 people like this

Rainy day is rainy. It's also not doing much for my motivation.

5 people like this

Oh my...I feel piqued...I think I may have come down with a severe case of dontwanttobehereitis...I may have to go home and rest.

9 people like this

3 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Just now, LordJosh said:

Oh my...I feel piqued...I think I may have come down with a severe case of dontwanttobehereitis...I may have to go home and rest.

Oh gods, it's spreading!

7 people like this

Devon Rexes are so soft!  And chatty, and generally wanting love.  Ours has been known to ride on the shoulders of the big people in the house like a good familiar should.  ::D:  I should share pictures, but generally pictures of our kitty also have a child or two in them.  Because she likes to cuddle.  :wub:

Oh, and Claritin is seriously the wimpiest antihistamine with the best marketing ever.  Zyrtec, Allegra and Xyzal all work much better and usually one of them is on sale.  Just be warned that they can still cause some drowsiness even if they say "non-drowsy" on the box.  

8 people like this

5 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I know right?  It's been nice all week and now that the weekend is here, the clouds roll in.

Well bunches of stuff to do today.  Daughter Dilvish has here HS graduation ceremony tonight.  Then, after the grandparents depart, we are taking her (and the rest of our motley bunch) out to the Japanese Steakhouse.  That reminds me, need to make sure reservations were made.

9 people like this

35 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Sunny day is sunny. Sadly, it's also not doing much for my motivation.

Hairs cut. Oil changed. Recall repairs scheduled. Lunch being pondered. Dogs sleeping. Kids lazy.

I see lots of weeds in their immediate future as the garden gets tilled. Lazy stiffs! Why when I was their age, my father... did to me exactly what I'm going to do to them. Huh. Works for me, I guess.

7 people like this