Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of Poland!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Froggy the Great said:

I had seriously expected you guys to have broken this thread like two days ago.  

Perhaps the thrill of racing to the end is just gone?

Is this the death of innocence? The demise of naiveté? The end of joy?

Probably not.

• Like 10

My department have a get-together on a hotel every year, and in addition to talking shop, we try to do 'something social' one of the days...

I traveled by Viking longship, I've visited Russia, and I've done this:

Spoiler

15920_1000.jpg

Now, last fall we got a new boss...  And he just started asking about ideas for where to meet up... and the meeting is sheduled this fall.

I'm a bit worried, really.

Incidetally, the year we visited Russia we really wanted to visit Svalbard, but that was nixed by the 'way higher up' boss. So instead we took the way more expensive daytrip to Russia... 

Do you know what REAL redundancy is?

Spoiler

6005_600.jpg

Way back in time the office was on a bus trip and one of the 'highlights' was a ride down to -287meters in an then-unfinished undersea tunnel. And what you see here is the beginning of a 10.000Kubic meter catchbasin they made to collect the seepage. 

What you don't see is the two completely independeltly-powered chain of pumps with lots of redundancies all along the way up and out of the tunnel. With an estimated seepage of 1000L / minute, that basin alone should keep the bottom of the tunnel from flooding for a WEEK. 

I've later been told that the estimates were 'pessimistic'... 

The sun is shining...

So, should I keep on cleaning up my verandah(which has been neglected for a few years and is really, really icky) or should I dig out the fishing rod and head out to the Atlantic Ocean Road(half an hour ride, and rumour has it that the Top Gear team is filming today. Which is also kind of icky. Sorry, but the current team is kind of like cold, wet noodles.... )

Oh, and the blasting siren is driving me bonkers!

(They're doing the groundwork nearby to set up a few houses, and with this being Norway, they need to break up some bedrock.)

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 9

At the pace of a post an hour we'll never* finish this thread!

Depressing stuff

Just got a call and found out a family friend found out her husband cheated on her and wants a divorce,

:grr: and she's now in the hospital after trying to commit suicide. :down:[/spoiler]

*not actually never, it'll just feel that way

Edited by David Brawley

Watch His Majesty The King's Guard; the Royal Guards sing under the 4th tallest waterfall in the world...

http://www.rbnett.no/kultur/2017/06/22/Soldatsang-ved-ett-av-verdens-høyeste-fossefall-14915345.ece

They're in the county to do their usual exhibition at a music festival, and happened to do a bit of sight-seeing. 

I'd ask for metal or resin minis of them throught the ages in the Chronoscope forum, but...   

I expect that it'd require licensing.

(I'd particularly like to have them with their 1940s black uniform, "die schwarzen Teufel" as the Germans called them)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Do you need licensing for historical outfits??

The answer is something like, "It depends ... maybe as a legal matter, depending on the country. But nobody ever gets one."

There's an argument that, as a design, a copyright in a uniform vests upon fixing the design in a final form. But there are exceptions (at least in the US) for designs owned by the government. I don't know what the rules are elsewhere.

As a practical matter, I don't know that any figure manufacturer has ever tried to obtain a license to produce military figures.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I would rather have those as my coworkers, as opposed to at least half of the people who actually are my coworkers.

Same here, the immaturity is rampant among the people I work with there. Plus, I found that one of them is actually the ex of an old co-worker and good friend of mine.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Do you need licensing for historical outfits??

Not normally, but the uniform is 'virtually unchanged' over the years, which means the same pattern is still in use.

There's just small details that have changed. (New boots is probably the most visible)

They still even have the black 'bowler' hats that they got because Princess Louise, King Harald V's Great Grandmother was so impressed with the Italian Bersaglieri. 

• Like 6

Ya I surely expected this to be ended by this morning. HAHA!

Oh a brighter note! I got my Vinyl Stickers fro IRON BRISTLE STUDIOS and they look great.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

At the pace of a post an hour we'll never* finish this thread!

Depressing stuff

Reveal hidden contents

Just got a call and found out a family friend found out her husband cheated on her and wants a divorce,

:grr: and she's now in the hospital after trying to commit suicide. :down:[/spoiler]

*not actually never, it'll just feel that way

That's awful. I'm so sorry. ::(: 

14 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Man.... It's been a depressing 3 weeks. So much bleep hitting at once.

Reveal hidden contents

First a friend earlier and now a co-worker today. Was hoping to make it through the day, but didnt last, cause some of my minions started crying. Dangit. My minions saw me weep. When did growing up become so sad? Can I go back in time and slap myself for wishing to grow up? Sorry. I stored too much internally and now just bubbling around. Don't have anywhere else to write or express and with the closing of the thread, it won't last so long. Ahhhhhjjhhhsidbhehdbd. Flaburnsodneud. Slsijsn. >.<

I'm so sorry about this too. ::(: 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

I had seriously expected you guys to have broken this thread like two days ago.  

Oh hush, you.  We're busy.

• Like 8