Darcstaar

The Godsmouth Heresy

337 posts in this topic

Copyright 2010 Paizo Publishing.

Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook

Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on

Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast

No one knows who carved the cyclopean faces that perch on the cliffs below the city of Kaer Maga, gazing sternly upon the lands of Varisia below.  Some say these visages depict the legendary Runelords of Thassilon, while others claim they represent dieties far more ancient than the upstart gods of modern Avistan.  Their depths are still unplumbed, their mystery still unsolved, for when you venture inside the mouth of a god, who knows what you might find.

Adventure Background

The city of Kaer Maga sits in the heart of Varisia, a vast stone hexagon of unknown origin perched high atop the cliffs of the Storval Rise.  This cyclopean structure predates even the empire of Thassilon, which ruled these lands 10,000 years ago, and today it is a city of wonders, intrigue, and mysteries.

Carved on the cliff face below the city are numerous representations of gigantic bodies and faces, though who these titanic carvings actually represent is a matter of some conjecture-the vanished runelords of ancient Thassilon, forgotten kings, dead gods, or someone else.  Some of these massive sculptures lead into the Undercity, a dizzying network of caverns, tunnels and chambers, both natural and man-made, that riddle the cliffs below Kaer Maga.

Each adventurer finds out about a potential lead on a mission, in their own particular way.  It could be from an inn posting, tavern gossip, robed figure while in contemplation and prayer at the same temple.

Essentially, each of you is summoned for a midnight meeting with the message-bearer's mistress, in the Bottoms District, at the Church of Pharasma known as the Godsmouth Cathedral.

The four of you arrive near-simultaneously.  You are led to a small side-chapel dedicated to a Pharasmin Saint.  After a few moments, you are greeted by an attractive young human woman wearing simple robes, but with some poorly hidden jewelry and symbolism denoting some rank within the church.   Upon entering, she motions you to sit, and nods at an acolyte, who brings you some fresh bread and watered down wine for refreshment.

"Hello, adventurers.  Thank you for answering Pharasma's summons.  I am Valanthe Nerissia, a member of the church.  I have been tasked with getting to the root of a... shall we say... delicate problem within the church."

In a well-practiced graceful move, she smooths her skirts and maintains a calm grace on her face.

She continues: "Our church maintains the Godsmouth Ossuary, where the town's wealthier members can pay to inter their deceased loved ones with the understanding that by doing so, our prayers may help guide their spirits to the afterlife, and prevent them from becoming unquiet restless dead."

"We actually have been running into a problem as of late.  Our grave-tenders down there have recently noticed some bodies going missing.  We would like you to investigate what is happening to the bodies, and put a stop to the problem.  If you can successfully do so, we will award your group with a fee of 500 gold pieces.  Also, if you can completely clear out that level of the ossuary of any other threats, will will award you a bonus of 250 gold pieces.  Whatever else valuable that you may find down there in the sealed crypts that is not of significance to the Pharasmin Church are yours to keep."

A stern look crosses her face as she concludes: "Now, I am sure you realize that the church business of this nature is very delicate, and must remain just between the few of us who know."  Her look suggests that she means business, and that wagging tongues would be met with more than just disapproval.

"If you would like to go now, I can direct you there.  If you need additional time for preparations, please return here by noon tomorrow."

1 person likes this

Ma'alik smiles broadly at the Pharasman's words.  "A thousand blessings upon you and this cathedral!  It would be my honor as one of The Dawnflower's swords on earth to assist in securing the sanctity of your Lady's ossuary.  The dead deserve their rest and for their remains to remain undisturbed.  I shall not rest until I discover who or what is disturbing their rest."

"You can also rely on my utmost discretion."

During his impassioned pledge of assistance, Ma'alik also notes the religious jewelry and tries to remember what rank in the church that it symbolizes.

Know:Religion: (d20)16+5=21

"I am ready to serve at a moment's notice, but if my companions," he looks around at the rest of the adventurers seated around the table, "need time to prepare then I can either assist them in their preparations, or spend the time in prayer or contemplation."

Sturgis seems to half hobble, half-stumble into his seat, sitting with a grimaced face, he accepts the wine and bread graciously, saying a quick prayer to the Dawnflower and another respectful prayer towards Pharasma.  He takes a bite of the bread, and a small sip of the wine. 

"Greetings, Priestess Nerissia.  Thank you for allowing the me to assist your church."

He looks towards Ma'alik and continues.

"It seems that the Dawnflower has sent servants to help in this time of need.  Certainly, the dead deserve their rest, and anyone who disturbs that needs to be brought to justice.  I also see no reason to alarm the residents of the city, as we have no need of riots, again, in the city.  It's hard enough to walk down the street as it stands." 

He smiles a warm smile, although the concern is otherwise evident in his face. 

"While I am from here, I do not recognize the others, albeit that one here follows the Dawnflower as well.  I believe we should introduce ourselves to one another.  I will begin. My name is Sturgis Rocher, and I am a follower of Saerenrae, a lesser priest, as it were." 

He, too will try to ascertain more information about the Godsmouth Ossuary as well as the items Nerissia is wearing.

Knowledge:  History 1d20+6:  25

Knowledge:  Religion 1d20+6:  11

Crunchy stuff:

Sturgis Rochar
NG Human Cleric 1

Str 15
Dex 6
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 16
Cha 15
Saves:
Fort +3
Ref -2
Will +5

HP: 10
Init: +0
AC: 15 (-2 Dex, +5 Armor, +2 Shield), Touch 8, FF 15.

Trained Skills:
Diplomacy +6 (1 rank, +3 class, +2 Cha)
Heal +7 (1 rank, +3 Class, +3 Wis)
Knowledge: History +6 (1 rank, +3 Class, +2 Int)
Knowledge; Religion +6 (1 rank, +3 Class, +2 Int)
Sense Motive +7 (1 rank, +3 Class, +3 Wis)
Spellcraft +6 (1 rank, +3 Class, +2 Int)

Languages: Common, Celestial, Goblin, Orc, Elven

Feats: Cosmopolitan, Selective Channel

Traits: Reactionary and Sacred Touch.

Favored Class: Cleric
Class Abilities: Spellcasting, Orisons,
Channel DC 12, 5/day. 1d6 Healing/Damage

Domains: Fire and Healing.
Domain Powers:
Fire:  
Granted Powers: Fire Bolt (Sp): As a standard action, you can unleash a scorching bolt of  divine fire from your outstretched hand. You can target any single foe within 30 feet as a
ranged touch attack with this bolt of fire. If you hit the foe, the fire bolt deals 1d6 points of fire damage + 1 point for every two cleric levels you possess. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Healing:   Rebuke Death (Sp): You can touch a living creature as a standard action, healing it or 1d4 points of damage plus 1 for every two cleric levels you possess. You can only use this ability on a creature that is below 0 hit points. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Equipment (total weight 95 pounds, medium load)
Weapons: Dagger, Heavy Mace, Scimitar.
Armor: Scale Mail, Heavy Wooden Shield

Other Gear:
Backpack, Bedroll
Waterskin
2 Traveler's outfits
50' Silk Rope
Grappling Hook
Wooden Holy symbol.

Expendables:
One vial of holy water
3 sunrods
6 Days trail rations

2 GP.

Prepared Spells Crunch:

Level 0 (3 prepared):  Light, Read Magic, Detect Magic
1-  (2 prepared): Comprehend Languages, Shield of Faith
Lv 1 Domain:  Burning Hands

"It would appear that Saranrae has no small interest in this matter, that alone is interesting enough for me to pursue it to it's end. That my own path lead me here as well makes it a matter worth pursuing, even if it does lead into the resting places of the dead." The elf said as he scratched thoughtfully at his angular jaw and chin. Looking around at his, temporary, companions. "It seems then, we shall be working together on this. I am Janalyth, follower of Shelyn. I have picked up a few skills in my travels that I think you shall find useful, I hope the return may be true as well. I have no qualms about aiding the Lady of Graves in a task or two, but I would rather refrain from meeting her any time soon"

"My friends, I have been remiss. I am Ma'alik ben Sulimen, a faithful servant of The Dawnflower, may her blessings forever shine down upon us. I am a friend to the faithful and a scourge to the wicked!" he says patting the hilt of his scimitar. "I have but recently arrived from Quadria, here to perform good deeds."

Sillilial sits strangely lopsidedly on his chair, for most of the talk he looked interested, but his gaze kinda faded off into the middle distance somewhere through the middle. The young man has golden eyes and hair to match with a pale completion looking almost, but not quite angelic. "Reaver says it's ok so I'm in".

Ma'alik has the impression that Valanthe is a middling priestess of Pharasma, but her jewelry denotes her as Cryptmistress, which is a little more upwardly mobile than someone her age would usually achieve. She also has symbolism of the Sepulcherine order, which you know is shrouded in secrecy and mystery.

Sturgis recalls reading something about the Godsmouth Ossuary being used by the elite of Kaer Maga for many centuries, and that the price of admission is quite steep.

After a few moments, when Valanthe can sense that none of you are rejecting the mission, and no one wants to leave to run any errands, she'll continue.

"Excellent!  We can proceed at once."  She gets a gleam in her eye you suspect is relief mixed with ambition.
She nods to an acolyte who leaves on an errand, and she and another acolyte walk you out of the Cathedral, and to a trail that leads you to a long, twisting cliffside path to the Godsmouth Ossuary.  Once you pass through the mouth of the Unnamed King, you are in the Ossuary proper.  Robed and hooded Pharasmin priests silently tend to the deceased.  Valanthe leads you through luxuriously appointed catacombs packed with bodies and down several stairways before coming to an area that obviously sees little use-most of the burial niches are empty and dusty, the air is musty and close, and silence reigns supreme.  Valanthe stops before a locked door.

After a moment, the acolyte she send away returns with two small chests, and hands them to Valanthe.

She addresses you again.
"This is the only known entrance to the lower level of the Ossuary.  Once you pass this door, we will lock it behind you."  She fishes out a slim tube of Mithral out of the smaller chest.

"We won't open the door for you, for our own protection in case your group is compromised, so we are sending you with this Chime of Opening.  It only has 5 charges, so make sure you keep at least one charge so that you can open the door to let yourselves out."  She hands it to Janalyth.

She continues "Because you will not be able to come and go at will, we are providing you with one curing potion and one vial of holy water each.  Use them well!"

With that, she reaches into her robe and pulls out a large iron key, and unlocks the door.  The Godsmouth Ossuary awaits...

post-13529-0-64542500-1481073771_thumb.jpg

The door grinds open despite long years of disuse.  Within, a stone spiral staircase descends into the earth.

The staircase space is 10 ft x 10 ft. and goes down 60ft (for those of you with darkvision).

There is some light from the doorway before Valanthe shuts you in and locks the door behind you.
The door is along the southern wall here, not depicted.

Before you enter, you see that there is some space between the stair and walls, at the corners.  It's too tight for Medium Characters, but a small character could squeeze in there (none in the party).

What do you do?

the first thing he does when the door is shut behind is turn to examine it to be sure that it can not be opened from this side, other than by magical means (and begs the Dm to let him fix his character sheet, for some reason I didn't put any ranks in disable device. Not sure how I missed that )

2 people like this

Sturgis, first puts his seeing the darkness closing in says a small prayer to Sarenrae and touches his cap.  The cap begins to glow with a soft, whitish-yellow light.  (cast Light).  After he does this, he undoes his shield from his back, strapping it onto his left arm, which doesn't look like it could hold anything, and leaves his other arm unarmed for the time being. 

"The light doesn't last long, but I can re cast it as needed.  Who wants to head down first?"

Who wants to carry the chime of opening?  I can, but I don't want to be overbearing with carrying "quest gear."

DM D20 Rolls:  17, 9.

Crunchy stuff:

Sturgis Rochar
NG Human Cleric 1

Str 15
Dex 6
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 16
Cha 15
Saves:
Fort +3
Ref -2
Will +5

HP: 10
Init: +0
AC: 15 (-2 Dex, +5 Armor, +2 Shield), Touch 8, FF 15.

Trained Skills:
Diplomacy +6 (1 rank, +3 class, +2 Cha)
Heal +7 (1 rank, +3 Class, +3 Wis)
Knowledge: History +6 (1 rank, +3 Class, +2 Int)
Knowledge; Religion +6 (1 rank, +3 Class, +2 Int)
Sense Motive +7 (1 rank, +3 Class, +3 Wis)
Spellcraft +6 (1 rank, +3 Class, +2 Int)

Languages: Common, Celestial, Goblin, Orc, Elven

Feats: Cosmopolitan, Selective Channel

Traits: Reactionary and Sacred Touch.

Favored Class: Cleric
Class Abilities: Spellcasting, Orisons,
Channel DC 12, 5/day. 1d6 Healing/Damage

Domains: Fire and Healing.
Domain Powers:
Fire:  
Granted Powers: Fire Bolt (Sp): As a standard action, you can unleash a scorching bolt of  divine fire from your outstretched hand. You can target any single foe within 30 feet as a
ranged touch attack with this bolt of fire. If you hit the foe, the fire bolt deals 1d6 points of fire damage + 1 point for every two cleric levels you possess. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Healing:   Rebuke Death (Sp): You can touch a living creature as a standard action, healing it or 1d4 points of damage plus 1 for every two cleric levels you possess. You can only use this ability on a creature that is below 0 hit points. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Equipment (total weight 95 pounds, medium load)
Weapons: Dagger, Heavy Mace, Scimitar.
Armor: Scale Mail, Heavy Wooden Shield

Other Gear:
Backpack, Bedroll
Waterskin
2 Traveler's outfits
50' Silk Rope
Grappling Hook
Wooden Holy symbol.

Expendables:
2 vials of holy water

One potion of Cure Light Wounds (1d8+1)