Rob Dean

Travel Paint Kit

DaVinci makes travel brushes that wear well. I'm not amazed with the quality of the brush tip on the one that I have but it's taken a beating and is still in good shape. Plus small sample size and all. I think DaVinci brushes are pretty nice in general.

For traveling with tools, I've got a little Dewalt container that cost me about $6. It's got two locking drawers that are separated into two or three sections and come with rubber separators for customizability. I initially bought it to keep my hobby knives away from my kids but found it to be useful for tossing in a backpack. It holds all my sculpting gear, a couple of hobby knives, a style-x saw, and my travel brush. Plus it's a hard case. I'd probably lose the knives and the saw if I were doing check-on.

Edited by SirLarpsAlot

I received a reply from the folks at Rosemary and Co. They are working to source smaller wooden bits for the handles on their reversible brushes. This means that R33s in sizes smaller than 4 are coming up at some point in the relatively near future. I really love their Series 33s, and am quite excited to get my hands on some Series R33. Reversible versions of the same Kolinsky hair brushes I already love.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2016 at 11:18 AM, Gadgetman! said:

The Masters Brush Soap is also available as a 1/4oz 'travel size'.

On 12/4/2016 at 3:14 PM, Sylverthorne said:

I had a look at my last W&NS7 purchase, and not only does it have the protective 'cap', but the brush came in a tube that I might be able to fit more than one brush in!

It’s been nearly a year and a half since I originally posted this. The kit is still making trips with me, including this weekend.

Following the discussions here, I followed up on Gadgetman’s suggestion and got the travel sized brush soap.

I have started regularly using Winsor Newton Series 7 brushes at home, and, as noted by Sylverthorne, they came in fairly sturdy plastic tubes.  I have put a 1 and a 000 in the stuff sack. They are my first choice for brushes, being more easily replaceable in the event of damage than the Games and Gears brushes. I haven’t had any problems with brush damage from transport using the tubes.

At Gencon last year I took a class on DIY wet palettes, so I replaced the coffee lids with this wet palette built from an antibacterial sponge and a crayon box from the school/stationery aisle at Walmart. I have a stock of wet palette paper, so I’ve been cutting it up and using it,having had some serious curling issues with the baking parchment. I keep a few extra sheets tucked in my pocket notebook, since I have a duplicate palette set up at work.

C95F70EC-9F2A-4B4E-840E-DCC4A7152D2D.thumb.jpeg.3e0fdcf28d479e532501bb4abc1d279c.jpeg

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cranky Dog
      In just a few hours, I'll be flying out to meet up with my mother, and then come Sunday morning, we'll be spending 18 days in Japan!

Ergo, my presence on the board will be sparse, and I'm missing ReaperCon.

With the travel group, we'll be going to Tokyo, and then go south. With stops at Mt.Fuji, Nagano, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Kobe, Hiroshima, and several other places.

I plane on bringing back oodles of uniquely Japanese souvenirs. I'm particularly curious about their 200 flavors of Kit Kat bars. If I can find myself a nice nakiri vegetable knife, I'll be happy.
    • By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/695455704/portable-paint-station-take-paints-minis-and-tools?ref=nav_search

A carry case for up to 162 paints, miniatures, tools, which transforms into a full painting station, complete with lamp & work area.

We all have the problem of shoeboxes or other messy ways of transporting and storing our paints, and have to search for the right paint longer than it takes to paint the miniature.
      When traveling and wanting to work on your miniatures, or not having a dedicated work area at home, the Portable Paint Station is the solution.
      It will keep your paints, tools, miniatures & other items safe during transport, and transforms into a complete work station within minutes.
      It is designed so that during transport, not even a paper clip could fall out of the box.
      Your paints are always in the same spot, no matter where you are, the optional daylight LED lamp makes you independent of light conditions and you have everything you need in one easy to carry box.
      This Portable Paint Station lets you work faster & concentrate on the important things. Different sizes to fit everyone’s needs.
      holds up to 162 paints (depending on version) easy to carry with hand grip or optional shoulder strap space for different sized miniatures - up to 32mm / 50mm base size space for tools & modeling bits optional daylight lamp, brush holder, wet palette, cutting mat(s), shoulder strap & more. optional expansion modules for your home paints by The Army Painter All items are precision-laser cut. Made in Germany. Production & shipping is from Germany.
    • By Darkmeer
      This really has me interested. I always want a table that I can work with, and a 4x6 portable table is an awesome idea. My only concern with the table is that it is made with mdf, but the idea is solid and I think. If it's glossy mdf, it could be sealed (I asked to make sure, will reply in this thread if the answer is yes). I think it's a great idea and, for those of us with little space, it's a great solution.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1544983357/alpha-a-portable-gaming-table-for-miniatures-games?ref=nav_search
    • By knarthex
      So as I am gathering things together to take to Reapercon, one of the things I pretty much need is a travel light....

I am looking at Ott lights, because I love how they work at home on my painting desk, and I have seen most of the members of NEMPA bring them to paint days....

So I am looking on the River site at the OttLite 290089 LED Handheld Task Lamp, and am wondering 
      A- can I also use an AC adapter power source with this? (The page lists on in the bought together, but it is from Nokia?  )
      B- are the little LED lights better than / worse than / equal to the 13w fluorescent bulb in the OttLite 515003 Battery Task Lamp model?

So opinions and experiences with these, or recommendations for others, would be awesome!

Thanks!

George
    • By Ludo
      Figured after ShadowRaven's adventures last year it would be a good idea to post. If you were traveling or know of forumites who made it home in one piece feel free to post.

I got home without incident 45 minutes ago.
  • Who's Online   32 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)