Ludo

PVC Storage for Craft paints

Great idea!

How big of diameter do these come in and still have a reasonable price? I could see using these for organization of toys in the kids' room.

Doubt you'll find anything larger than 4 inch diameter at the big box hardware stores. If you have a utility supply place you could get very large, don't know about price though. Price is proportional to wall thickness. so the thinner the wall the cheaper the pipe. If you say you're looking for thin wall drain pipe they will be able to find you something most likely. 

This is awesome! I can see building a new paint rack with smaller diameter pipe for all the Reaper and Scalecolor dropper bottles. Thanks for the new ideas!

• Like 1

This is awesome! I can see building a new paint rack with smaller diameter pipe for all the Reaper and Scalecolor dropper bottles. Thanks for the new ideas!

I am left wondering how dropper bottles would fit in 1/2" tubing.....

1" SCH 40 PVC works, but there is a lot of extra space. 

I have yet to find something that fits well and is readily available. 

I am left wondering how dropper bottles would fit in 1/2" tubing.....

1" SCH 40 PVC works, but there is a lot of extra space. 

I have yet to find something that fits well and is readily available. 

So I stopped by the hardware store last night. They have 1" Schedule 40 PVC tubing for about $5 for a 10 foot section. While looking at all the other goodies, I ran into 3/4" pipe connectors. These connect the 3/4" pipe sections to each other. They are approx 2 1/4" long and have a 1" inside diameter to match the outside diameter of the 3/4" pipe. Perfect for our dropper bottle. In addition, there is a small ridge midway down that each end of the pipe is supposed to butt up against. When you slide a Reaper dropper bottle cap first into one of these, it stops with about 5/8" of the bottle sticking out the end and 1/4" of cap hanging out the of the other end. They have these in bags of 15 for about $2.50.

I picked up a bag of 15 and a bottle of PVC glue to try gluing a stack of these together. I figure I can put together a rack for about 200 bottles for around $35. And it's ridiculously easy to add more rows :;):

Below is a picture of a bottle in the connector. I don't yet have a picture of the small stack of 15 pieces, but it's enough to convince me to go buy several more bags of these things. I figure I could make this for half the cost if I had access to a table saw or a band saw. Without any tools needed, this is still cheaper than any other consumer paint rack I've seen.

post-8530-0-27125600-1481045054.jpg

• Like 6

It might be an idea to cut the pieces at a slightly 'off' angle so that the pipes ends up pointing a few degrees up when assembled and mounted on the wall. Then the bottles will stay in place even if something rattles the stand... 

• Like 1

I was thinking about adding rubber feet to the final stack. That's where I would give it a slight back tilt. Since I'm not cutting any parts, that's about my main option there. I'm also considering adding a backing board, since the Scalecolor bottles seem to be a bit thinner and can pass through the stopping ring inside the connectors.