Great preamble!

Also, that thing is gorgeous!  Love the scales and the transitions from violet to blue, and especially the gold...and the sword...AND the wings...and the base is cool too.  Eesh, excellent work, friend!

Ed:  AND the eyes!

Edited by BLZeebub

That's a gorgeous paint job on an awesome sculpt. You are right about this being a really nice GW dragon although the belly wings are interesting

Great paintjob!

Love the star pattern on the wings.

As for the sculpt the positioning of the wings is a bit odd IMHO.

To be honest, I was not a fan of the AOS models in general when they first came out, but I've warmed up to a lot of the newer stuff.  Your painting on the model is really wonderful, though I'm not a fan of all the armor on the dragon.

• Like 1

One odd thing about this mini is that the wings have two poses- there are four "shoulder" bits for them to connect with.  However, the change is so slight, that I couldn't tell which one I used after putting it together...

The head options were great, though.  The closed mouth head really does change the way it looks.

• Like 1

Wow!

First thing out of my mouth once the page loaded.

Fantastic work on everything but I love the colors on the head.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      Congratulations, by opening this forum post, you have received a quest!
      This quest is a challenge created by the combined forces of @Sirithiliel the Queen Tiamacrab, a Wizard Most Wild @Pezler the Polychromatic, and myself – @Cyradis the Questgiver.
      The challenge is this! Paint a small dragon, letting the dice control the colors!
      The Rules:
      Post in the WIP Forums “_Your Pseudonym_ is taking the random rainbow dragon challenge!” or “_Your Pseudonym_ has accepted the d20 rainbow dragon quest!” something to that extent.

Select a figure from one of the following: Stormwing (from Bones III), Kryphrixis (from Bones III), Deathsleet (77110), or Ebonwrath (77102).

You must select the dragon BEFORE rolling for colors. Take a photo with the figure and a clock as proof of order of operations.  
      Roll for colors! Use a d20 and a photo, or an online dice roller with a screenshot as proof of rolling. Or have a fellow forum dweller vouch for your rolls. Use the Color Chart below to determine what the color is that you rolled. There are three rolls. Below is an online dice roller. Most keyboards have a PRT SCRN button that can take a screenshot for you. Then you can paste the photo into Paint to save. I'm sure there are better methods, but that works for me. 

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

The first roll determines what your primary base color is. That must be the dominant color on the figure.

The second roll determines your secondary color. It should be the second color that catches the eye, and second most prevalent color on the figure.

The third roll determines your miscellaneous color. This should be most of the accent colors that you use, and third most prevalent color on the figure.

You might need to order paint or go to the FLGS after rolling if you don’t have a given bottle – we’ll be patient and wait for you. If you can’t get a bottle of one of these colors, here is a spreadsheet with equivalent colors from different brands. If you really can't get them, use the closest thing you got to your rolls (let us know what they are please). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=5
        Number
      Reaper #
      Color Name
      Color Description
      Fire Red
      Bright red
      Clotted Red
      Dull red
      Lava Orange
      Volcanic orange
      Orange Brown
      Dull orange
      Lemon Yellow
      Bright yellow
      Brilliant green
      Bright green
      Olive Green
      Olive dull green
      True Blue
      Bright blue
      Heather Blue
      Dull light blue
      Imperial Purple
      Deep purple
      Violet Red
      A very misnamed color; somewhere between burgundy and magenta. Not violet.
      Blush Pink
      Very pink
      Earth Brown
      Generic brown
      Terran Khaki
      Light brown
      Mint Green
      Bright pastel green
      Cloudy Grey
      Generic grey
      Marine Teal
      Teal, blueish
      Palomino Gold
      Earthy gold yellow
      Pure Black
      Super black. Critical threat!
      Pure White
      Super white. Critical threat!

You are allowed to use whatever colors to shade and highlight that you want, as long as the rolled colors are obvious visually.* Example: you can shade a red dragon with purple, brown, or black, but it must always appear as a red dragon. A white dragon shaded with grey must appear as a white dragon, not a grey dragon.   
      You are allowed to use colors outside the ones that you rolled, but they must not take up more visual surface area than any of the others.** Example: your pink, green, and gray dragon is allowed to have bone-beige teeth.  
      The proportions of color on the figure can be however you want, as long as the 1st roll is dominant, 2nd is less, 3rd is less, and anything else smaller. Example: 70% pink, 15% green, 10% gray, and 5% anything else. Or it could be 50% pink, 25% green, 15% grey, and 10% anything else. The tidbit colors are fine wherever, as long as they are minor. 
        Paint your dragon according to the rolls plus your tidbits. Even if it is outrageous. The goal is to make the dragon look as awesome as possible without the benefit of planning color themes. You can add spots, stripes, eye-spots like moths have, or nothing. This is the base challenge. 
        Star 1* You may decide after your initial three rolls to limit your shading colors to your rolled colors mixed with pure black and white. You may still use tidbit colors. Declare this if you go for a Star 1 challenge!
        Star 2** You may decide after your initial three rolls to not use colors outside of your rolled ones and shading colors (so no tidbits like beige teeth, only 3 visual colors shaded however you want). Declare this if you go for a Star 2 challenge!
        Star 3*** You may decide to do both the Star 1 and Star 2 challenges, using absolutely nothing but your three rolled colors, plus black and white for shading. If you do this, you are allowed to use the white for areas like teeth and eyes that could be really weird otherwise (or not - up to you). Effectively, you have 5 colors to work with only, and three of them must be the majority (in decreasing order of prevalence). You gotta be nuts!
        There is no time limit on this. However, if the WIP photos stop showing up at a normal rate and there’s never a Show Off thread, the forum dwellers may gently poke fun at you for adding this to your Shelf of Shame.
        Post to the Show Off forums with a “_Your Pseudonym_ has completed the random rainbow dragon challenge!” sort of title upon completion. Brag about your awesome (or hilarious) dragon. Win all the internet-points. Receive experience and praise. Thus shall end the quest.
        Once the first Random Rainbow Dragon has been completed, we will start up a group Show Off thread to compile all of the dragons in a great flock of rainbowy goodness.   
      Current WIP List (started thanks to @Evilhalfling.) 

Little Bluberry
      Sylverthorne
      Glitterwolf
      Cyradis
      Corporea
      Sirithiliel
      Morihalda
      Evilhalfling
      Guindyloo
      Maledrakh
      Eldamir
      pcktInt
      Talae
      nakos
      Kate
      midshipmaneasy
      Paradoxical Mouse
      Darsc Zacal
      vegascat
      Cranky Dog
      Auberon
      robinh
      Ulfheathen
      Phoenix Rising
      NebulousMissy
      Edsterdoom
      Ironhammer
      Thes Hunter
      Invisible Thumb
      arouark
      OneBoot
      Gadgetman
      Eldamir v2
      Ludo
      midshipmaneasy v2
      HornedTurtle
      Sophie was taken
      Crazyscribble
      Sanwah
      Inarah
      Mierot
      Xiwo Xerase
    • By Inarah
      Link to original challenge: 
      I don't have any of the dragons selected for the challenge. I do have the dracolisk, https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/basilisk/latest/77379
      So I'm painting that. 

Die roll, 13, 18, 2.  Earth brown, palomino gold, clotted red.   Good colors.  I don't have the Earth or Clotted Red but can approximate. 

Baby needs a bath first. 

• By Aard_Rinn
      So, one of my personal mini projects atm is working on some of the NPCs my players in my homebrew campaign are encountering.  And one of my favorite groups in that world are the Hunts - a loose-bound organization of groups (each called a Hunt) of fighters/mercenaries/warriors, each with their own specialty, who dedicated themselves to maintaining the roads and paths of Fidel during the millenia-long anarchy of the Mortal Wars.

Now, what makes the Hunts distinctive from any other mercenary bands? Well, they ride BADASS FLYING MOUNTS.

Gryphons, for the most part, although one or two specialize in pegasi, and a few ride more esoteric things... 

Four NPCs intimately intertwined with the group are members of the Red Hunt - a sort of catch-all for powerful, destructive mages. Faukner, her apprentices Formel and Tiercel, and her wife, Charr. 

So, I've had the Stonehaven Half-Dragon Duelist for ages. It's one of my favorite dragonborn minis, and I decided it'd be perfect for the swashbuckling Charr... It's a great mini, neat and clean with tons of personality.

To give you an idea of who Charr is...

Anyways, I've decided to do a WIP of this set of minis, starting with Charr's two forms. This is the thread for her humanoid form, obviously - I'm painting up the Temple Dragon for her dragonness form, and I'll try to do a WIP for that, too.

So!

I started off nice and simple - hit the face with some red, and decided on a blue-and-white scheme for the cloths. I'm trying to bring out some of the swashbuckler in this mini, so I like the naval colors. That said, I could use ideas for the cravat.

Ordinarily, I'd paint my dragonborn's hair simularly to her scales and try to ignore it, but gonna go with dark for these dreads. They're sweet as hell. Wish DSM would give us a KS for these.

And there's the face, pretty much finished, TBH! I washed it with Games Workshop's purple wash, pretty heavily so it'd sit well in the mouth and scale cracks, and then highlighted just with pure red. This is a proof-of-concept for the temple dragon, as well as a mini on it's own, and I'm pretty happy with it! Used Palimimo Gold for the eyes - something else that'll carry over!
    • By midshipmaneasy
      This is Ebonwrath as painted for the Random Rainbow Dragon challenge as presented here;
      I rolled up;
      Primary Colour: Olive Green
      Secondary colour: Lemon Yellow
      Teriary Colour: Terran Khaki
      I went for the 3 star challenge.
      The colours reminded me of summer in the Australian bush around my parents farm and the Blue Mountains near where I now live, so I went with a base that tried to create that impression.
      Here he is;

If you are interested the WIP thread is here;
      Please feel free to leave your comments, constructive critisims, ideas or questions here.
      I hope you enjoy looking at this model as I did painting it.

• By midshipmaneasy
      Ok. I have fallen victim to this insane challenge. More than that I am determined to go for the 3 star challenge. Oh dear!

In keeping with the spirit of this whole thing I rolled randomly for the dragon and got Ebonwrath.
      As for colours...
      Main: Olive Green
      Secondary: Lemon Yellow
      Tertiary: Terran Khaki

• Who's Online   39 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)