Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shin Okada

Bones Giants for DnD 5e?

9 posts in this topic

Well, I know new giants in Bones 3 Kickstarter are bigger and good for huge 5e giants. But how abou Bones giants before Bones 3? Are they all too small? Or, are there some giants big enough to be used as 5e giants?

1 person likes this

It probably depends on how big of a scale stickler you are.  The hill giants are, at least.  77313: Hill Giant Krug stands on an ~2" base but is pretty much as tall as 77314: Golan, Hill Giant, who dominates a 3" round base.

Those 2 giants seems to be at least bigger than Hill Giants in D&D Miniatures line.

FYI, in 5e, the hight of giants are,

Hill Giant ... 16 feet

Fire/Stone Giant .. 18 feet

Frost Giant ... 21 feet

Cloud Giant ... 24 feet

Storm Giant ... 26 feet

Assuming 1 inch = 5 feet scale, the hight of miniatures would be,

Hill Giant ... 3.2 inches (81 mm) 

Fire/Stone Giant .. 3.6 inches (91mm)

Frost Giant ... 4.2 inches (107mm)

Cloud Giant ... 4.8 inches (122mm)

Storm Giant ... 5.2 inches (132mm)

Minis don't need to be that strict in size. But yeah, I want giant minis much bigger than giants minis in 3.xe-4e erra.

2 people like this

I'm still bummed about the bum in size because I need frost giants for Warlord were base-to-base contact isa tachtical thing. Don't expect I'll be able to fir a Bones 3 frost giant on the smaller base.

2 people like this

Sadly, you might not do better than the Storm King's Thunder minis line from Wizkids. They have some seriously large and in charge giants in that set, but I am on the brink of swearing off pre-painted miniatures. Those are POTENTIALLY the only reason that I might decide to buy at least those pre-paints.

2 people like this

Sadly, you might not do better than the Storm King's Thunder minis line from Wizkids. They have some seriously large and in charge giants in that set, but I am on the brink of swearing off pre-painted miniatures. Those are POTENTIALLY the only reason that I might decide to buy at least those pre-paints.

I do like some of the pre-painted minis. But frankly speaking, those Wizkids giants seem ugly. I will only buy them as the last resort.

1 person likes this

The hill giant minis fit fine on a 3" (huge size) base. I also have the die giant king, storm giant, and Yephima (I'm on a phone currently, so can't link them easily) on 3" bases. They fit okay, though they are all smaller than the hill giant minis, so that could be a little awkward for accuracy's sake where hill giants are the smallest of the true giants. But they do fit into the huge bases fine at least, and they work as filler until the wonderful Bones 3 giants get here.

I think the stone giant is also more accurately sized, but I don't own him, so I'm not sure.

1 person likes this

It probably depends on how big of a scale stickler you are.  The hill giants are, at least.  77313: Hill Giant Krug stands on an ~2" base but is pretty much as tall as 77314: Golan, Hill Giant, who dominates a 3" round base.

Those 2 giants seems to be at least bigger than Hill Giants in D&D Miniatures line.

FYI, in 5e, the hight of giants are,

Hill Giant ... 16 feet

Fire/Stone Giant .. 18 feet

Frost Giant ... 21 feet

Cloud Giant ... 24 feet

Storm Giant ... 26 feet

Assuming 1 inch = 5 feet scale, the hight of miniatures would be,

Hill Giant ... 3.2 inches (81 mm) 

Fire/Stone Giant .. 3.6 inches (91mm)

Frost Giant ... 4.2 inches (107mm)

Cloud Giant ... 4.8 inches (122mm)

Storm Giant ... 5.2 inches (132mm)

Minis don't need to be that strict in size. But yeah, I want giant minis much bigger than giants minis in 3.xe-4e erra.

My Frorigh the Frost Giant #02599 (in DHL not bones) is right at 4" were he actually standing straight up, but is actually slightly less, really because he's bent over like he's attacking a little folk or something, so I think that's about an accurate representation..

1 person likes this