nakos

Cold Temp Stress Test of SWM Paints

7 posts in this topic

Last week I ordered all of the acrylic paints and washes from Secret Weapon. First, the bag of crap quality is great, several of the pieces I can't tell what's wrong with them and the orange shirt is the perfect color. 

I'm disappointed in the early morning USPS delivery person. They left the package on an obviously unused side door (it's barred and blocked) yesterday morning at 6:30AM. I happen to walk by it today and saw the package at 6PM nearly 36 hours outside in sub-freezing temps, the temp range was 16-36F. Tomorrow or Thurs I'll do a test strip of each paint and see how it goes.

Any signs of ruination I should look for, subtle or obvious?

1 person likes this

While I've never have had to deal with cold/frozen paint before I think separation perhaps or maybe chunkiness of paint?

(side note: 630 am? Wow we are lucky if we get the mail at 3 pm & that is without the holidays or snow/weather delays.......)

I'd be on the look out for clumpy or gritty pigment. If you don't have that then they ate probably fine. I have had acrylics hobby paint sit in my mailbox in -20 to -30 Fahrenheit without residual signs of ruination.

2 people like this

My MSPs that got that treatment, separated and refused to mix back together for more than a few minutes.  They didn't stick well either.  I had to throw them away.

1 person likes this

I have bought some Vallejo paints that Probably had been frozen at some point before I got them.

Look for parts of the paint going lumpy, gooey or rubbery.

The paint refusing to mix properly.

Competely wrong colour

Nothing coming out the spout even under high squeeze.

Bad colour coverage / paint falling off the mini.

Ok, so life got in the way but I did get around to testing a some of the washes and acrylics. So far all of the washes and acrylics showed no signs of ruination. Now we know that SWM paints and washes can survive overnight down to 16 degrees after being outside in hovering at 32 degrees. Wouldn't recommend it but seems to be fine. For those wondering the paints were not wrapped in any insulation material or paper just loose in the box with one of those large air bubble things on top.

2 people like this

I'm glad to hear your paints came out OK. I have several of the Secret Weapon washes, and am really happy with them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KingMob
      Update on the Frost Giant King.

Cheers to the recommendation on Bases to replace the GW base! I have a slew of baes now for my projects. Plus this base is so much better. I hope to add more embellishment like rocks to match the Queen after I get this chap sorted.

So many smooth surfaces asking for textures.  Leather texture after the inner cloak is done. The spear shaft wood.grain has to wait until the end as the butt of the spear continues to be worn off during painting. The sword will be a session work in-and-of itself.

Enjoy!

• By KingMob
      Long time lurker, second time poster, first time upload.

Here is the Frost Giant Queen from the Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter for your consideration. I was unable to participate in the Bones 3 Kickstarter as I came upon these Bones figures late in the game. However, the participants who were able placed their unwanted miniatures up on eBay, so I took advantage of opportunity when presented. I focused on Color Theory and Texture on this piece as she provided a very large palette to paint upon. These Giants provided me practice in sketching too, which makes the entire line appealing to me.

Side note: Gratitude to those who did place these minis up on eBay without jacking up the prices. I was able to purchase the both Frost Giant Royalty around cost of what Reaper will sell them at Retail. This certainly displays an ethos in the Reaper community that makes this community stand out among others. Further, having lurked for awhile: the community here is quite kind and helpful. This is a good community of miniature painters.

I like the Bones miniature range. The detail on this miniature was very close to what I expect from the metal range, and I will purchase more of the Bones range in the future. I am looking forward to the resculpt of Vanya, the Fire Giant Princess, and her new size to match the Fire Giants in D&D. The attire of this miniature is akin to the Viking attire of old, and I found my SCA ventures to assist me in painting this Viking Apron and embellishments. The sculptor did an outstanding job and I look forward to more of their work.

The FAQs were an asset that made my first foray into Bones an easier one. I had difficulty with flash lines until I picked up some diamond files, which handled them quite well without marring detail like my serrated files. The bent pieces were fixed with some boiling water and cold water quite easily. The pieces fit together like a glove, though I admit I still pinned them. (My OCD was tingling.) I did use Krylon as Primer, and the tackiness disappeared after the first coat of paint. She was sealed only with Krylon Dull Cote and exhibits no tackiness. She has been handled and there is no rubbing off of paint.

I like how her base was round, though I am ignorant of what would be an appropriate Reaper base to place this inside of. (I currently have the King on a GW Dreadnought base, and I do not like it. If anyone reads this and has a recommendation, I surely would appreciate it.)

This Bones line of miniatures has proven to me to be a Good Idea and one I will support. I am already purchasing more of the Bones 2 line for my D&D and Oldhammer alternatives, and I admit excitement at the new of Bones 4. Based on the quality of these miniatures: you will have an additional participant. Please keep up the outstanding quality and amazing work.

I hope you enjoy my efforts. C&C is always appreciated: it is the only way an Artist can improve.

May your blends be smooth.
      Peace and blessings.

• By Scorpionfish
      Hello everyone, here's a project that I've been working on for over a year! I actually got Operation  Icestorm, way back when it was released, and now it's done, including the CSU, which I had to hunt down since there was a preorder error that resulted in my order not being treated like a preorder by a distributor. Long story short, I didn't work on it for a while, then took my time getting it done! A special thank you by the way to SGHawkins, who helped me track the CSU mini down.

I decided to go very naval military on the Pan-Oceania team, dark blue with a few key accents to match the original designs. For Nomads, seeing as they're just basically Australia 2.0 in space with hackers and punk rock, I went with bright orange, purple, white and fun hair. They've also got gloss on the guns, since I was trying to mimic the original IPod for their weapons, and it will help the two teams stand out since this is a starter box so I could teach the game as well.

The Whole Box

Nomads

Pan-o

Fusiliers

Auguacles

ORC Trooper and Mobile Brigada

Akalis and Spektr
       Nisse and Grenzer

Reverend Healer and Father Knight

CSU

Feel free to ask questions!

• By Dilvish the Deliverer
      So, as you may have heard, I have been bitten by the Frostgrave bug.  Like several others here.

I don't want to keep thread-jacking the topics that others have already started so I'm starting my own.  And there is nothing that you can do about it!

(Except ignore it.  Please don't ignore it.  My fragile self esteem would just totally fall apart and I would be forced to return to.........where was I)

Yes terrain.  I used to make terrain back when I played Mordheim but all of that has been lost to time and space (and Navy movers).  So I'm building most things from scratch.  I will include finished works as well as WIP.  If there is interest I can break out specific projects into a separate WIP thread.

So to start off: My first 10 painted minis of the New year: A Target Games resin Graveyard set.

Now that Iook at it, I missed painting the earth on one of the graves.  And some moss (lichen I guess for the cold lands)

Next up is my pool/well.  This is actually an ash tray that Awesome Wife and I picked up from an open air market in London on our honeymoon in '98.  We don't smoke but it looked cool.

Next up is a WIP of a ruined two story house.  I think the next ones I make will not be as wide.  Materials are foamcore board ($1) and craft (popsicle sticks, also $1).  I've got plenty of both left.  Front:

And back:

Future plans will include a storage box tower and some sort of stepped platform built out of insulation board.

FYI the foamboard cuts were done with a hot knife.  Very handy and relatively cheap.  Mine was $15 at AC Moore but after coupons and discounts it ended up being 7 bucks.
  • Who's Online   42 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)