tiniest rhombus

Airbrush set up.

66 posts in this topic

For Xmas the hubby handed me a pile of money for my airbrush set up. I think I have everything I need to get started. This is what I have, please o airbrush gurus share with me yur words of wisdom. Do I need anything else?

Got to love Hobby Lobby 40% off coupons

Iwata Eclipse hp-cs

Sparmax tc-501 air compressor ( comes with braided hose and curly hose, air regulator and moister trap and three adapters) do I need to use any of those adapters since I have the quick disconnect set from Iwata?

Quick disconnect

Fancy respirator mask

Cleaning solution

Masters Paint booth with hose ( this will be happening in a small room so I wanted something I could vent out the window)

Cleaning kit with a bunch of brushes and such. Then I watched a video that said never use those brushes... it's the masters airbrush cleaning kit #1 from Amazon. Should I skip using the brush set?

Do you suggest teflon tape for the connections? Seems teflon tape on the connections would be a good idea

I don't have an airbrush holder yet. I was thinking one of those airbrush cleaning pots things would work for a holder as well as some where to clean the brush between paint changes.

Thanks!

The adapters might be used for the hose but since the compressor & hose are the same brand.....

Definitely vent the hose. If the hose is a standard dryer hose, you can get a wall adapter & just use that, if not it should just go out the crack of a open window.

You always use a small soda bottle just throw in a paper towel & then spray into that.

1 person likes this

I figure I'll just vent out the window. It's right there in front of my hobby area after all.

And it occurs to me I have the flipping airhose and quick disconnect here...so I can just try it. Lol.

1 person likes this

OK, this is an awesome kit to begin with. I had to piece a similar kit together over a couple years.

You definitely want teflon tape for the connections. With the quick disconnect you do not need to worry about replacing the tape all the time when you remove the brush to clean it. 

You may need the adapters to go from a Sparmax hose to an Iwata brush. The hose to compressor end is standard as far as I can tell. The adapters come in for the side between the hose and the airbrush.

I wouldn't bother with the cleaning kit with all the brushes. Most of them are useless, and several could scratch the insides of the brush. I have yet to use my set, and the owner of Badger is online saying all of these kits are somewhere between useless and harmful.

In lieu of the brush kit, I recommend a clean out pot with the holder built into the top. I have an Iwata one, but they're all essentially the same. It's easy to spray into with no mess, and you really will want a proper holder the first time you need to set the brush down with paint or cleaner in the cup.

The spray booth, the remote end of the hose has a connector the funnels down to a long thin flat end. This is ideal for slipping into a slightly open window. I have a small strip of wood that's as wide as the hose end. I've put weatherstripping tape on the sides of the wood, and it fills the rest of the window gap that the hose does not. This little booth is a nice item. I've heard of people even spraying rattlecans with it, but I haven't been brave enough to try that yet.

I'd also suggest picking up a bottle of airbrush medium, or the stuff to make your own. Google "Les's airbrush thinner" for a simple recipe.

If you're good customers of the local teriyaki place, ask them for a few of the plastic sauce cups they use. I use these for mixing paint and medium. A lot of folks mix this in the brush's cup directly, but I like seeing the mix before I pour it in the cup.

3 people like this

I use 5ml 'sample tubes' With either screw-caps or flip-top lids that are available for next to nothing on The Bay of E.

Just pour a Paint and thinner into them, Close lid and shake!

(Or use a vortex mixer... )

These tubes are available in larger sizes, too...

(But even a small 2.5ml mix - 2.5ml is the smallest cup on my airbrush - lasts for a long time.)

Bonus is that you can prepare multiple mixes and blends before starting to Paint.

Edited by Gadgetman!
2 people like this

K I'll just have to wait and see about the hose. If anyone has a good video on how to put together a compressor that'd be awesome. The regulator and moisture trap piece isn't attached yet and I can not find any info on how it should be attached.

I have airbrush medium, forgot to list it

I'll get some weather stripping and wood when I pick up some Teflon tape. Great idea.

I have some small cups for mixing resin, I figured those would work well for mixing paint.

I'll order a airbrush holder and pick up a spray pot from hobby lobby. They might have the holders too. I'll have to check. 40% off coupons are a godsend.

I have small screw top containers I use for samples in my small business. Great idea! It sure is nice when two hobbies collide.

Thanks guys! You're awesome.

I've been eyeing vortex mixers for scale 75 paints anyway. I can't get those mixed for the life of me. I'll look around for a good deal.

From my own personal experience, I would add, at some point.. 

- Disposable Gloves (make sure they are not powdered...  I made that mistake and gunked up a fresh paint job when I removed a glove and touched the piece I was just spraying...). 

- Plastic spoons for practice or color tests

- "wash" bottles for your cleaning solution, water, etc...

- another option for pre-mixing paint is small medicine cups.  I found some on amazon or ebay for cheap and have a lifetime supply now.  The ones I got have a fully flat bottom (no indentations) and are soft enough that I can gently squeeze them a little for a better pour into the paint cup. 

post-8195-0-28757800-1481895200_thumb.jpg

- I also keep a stack of scrap paper handy to test spray and line the bottom of my booth with.  Easy to change out and avoids too much build-up in the booth.  

2 people like this

just one word about the fancy respirator mask so you are aware of some differences in them: 

Some paints can be toxic when atomized even though they are safe when using a regular brush.

With the first mask I used I could smell the paint/ thinner / cleaner inside the mask. It turned out to be a dust mask and not a vapour mask and wearing it was no protection at all.

So if you smell anything when wearing the mask, you might want to change the filters to "organic vapour" filters too keep out the fumes.

2 people like this

K gloves, spoons, just took some of those little cups from the basing box for this purpose.

The mask I got is rated for paint, chems and such.

Thanks again

From the regulator/moisture trap, it should have an indicator of some sort for input and output. Input will connect to the compressor. You'll want the moisture trap to sit vertically so the water can pool in the trap. You may need to adjust the amount of Teflon tape you use to have a good seal and have the regulator sit vertically.

The vortex mixers work best with some space in the bottle for the vortex action to get working. Scalecolor seems to fill their bottles to the max. Mine are full enough for paint to leak out the top when I first pop the pin through the tip. They do mix, but it takes a little bit.

1 person likes this

Okay so technically it should be pretty hard for me to screw up attaching the regulator/ moisture trap dealie.

I love scale 75 paints, I hate how long I have to mix them. Banging them on the table and my hand and shaking shaking shaking then shaking some more. I don't grab them much cause of all the shaking. Mine were pretty full to the tippy top to when I poked the hole. Thankfully knarthex had some handy tips to prevent seepage. I lost a tie bit opening them up to add the agitator. I think I need to open them back up and throw another agitator or two in there.

The quick disconnect fits just fine in the hose. Huzzah!

Yes, the regulator is pretty self explanatory. You should be fine adding that on yourself.

The quick disconnect is a godsend. The functional post part on the QD connector is a standard size.  I have an Iwata HP-CS brush and a Paashe Talon, both have different thread sizes at the airbrush, but the two QD both work with the same hose. So it's quick and easy to swap them out. - The adapters you have will likely be needed at the airbrush side if they're needed at all. It's on the airbrush stem where the vendors failed to standardize.

The vortex mixer does a wonder with the Scalecolor paints, it just takes longer than the Reaper paints. Most all the reapers mix in a few seconds, where the Scalecolor take a fair bit longer.

1 person likes this

Yes, the regulator is pretty self explanatory. You should be fine adding that on yourself.

The quick disconnect is a godsend. The functional post part on the QD connector is a standard size.  I have an Iwata HP-CS brush and a Paashe Talon, both have different thread sizes at the airbrush, but the two QD both work with the same hose. So it's quick and easy to swap them out. - The adapters you have will likely be needed at the airbrush side if they're needed at all. It's on the airbrush stem where the vendors failed to standardize.

The vortex mixer does a wonder with the Scalecolor paints, it just takes longer than the Reaper paints. Most all the reapers mix in a few seconds, where the Scalecolor take a fair bit longer.

Vortex mixers...the prices...wow. I picked out a paint mixer thing from Badger, i figured it's only 10 bucks what the heck.

Vortex mixers...the prices...wow. I picked out a paint mixer thing from Badger, i figured it's only 10 bucks what the heck.

Yeah, that was my early Christmas present. Rebuilt model from eBay. A fellow mini painter cleans, rebuilds, repaints and labels them at Typhoon mixers. 

1 person likes this

I tend to mix my paints in 30ml dropper bottles, that way I can mix up a batch, put some in the cup and spray, and if I need more, I can just add it in without having to mix more...

I have a ludicrous amount of 30ml bottle due to a mix up in ordering them last year....

I use Scale Color Acrylic Thinner when I am airbrushing Scale 75.... I tend to like to use the paint makers thinner for their paint if they make one....

George

Ps if you like, we can set up a hangout and I can try to help you with any issues you may have...

Just pm me

1 person likes this