tiniest rhombus

Airbrush set up.

66 posts in this topic

Anther item I like using is a Madea-Iwata Superlube or recently Paasche airbrush lube. You just add a drop or 2 on the needle & the trigger assembly. Helps lubricate the moving parts for a smoother pull when spraying. The Paasche is little more watery vs the M-I but you get more.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/cleaning/superlube/

1 person likes this

Yes, the regulator is pretty self explanatory. You should be fine adding that on yourself.

The quick disconnect is a godsend. The functional post part on the QD connector is a standard size.  I have an Iwata HP-CS brush and a Paashe Talon, both have different thread sizes at the airbrush, but the two QD both work with the same hose. So it's quick and easy to swap them out. - The adapters you have will likely be needed at the airbrush side if they're needed at all. It's on the airbrush stem where the vendors failed to standardize.

The vortex mixer does a wonder with the Scalecolor paints, it just takes longer than the Reaper paints. Most all the reapers mix in a few seconds, where the Scalecolor take a fair bit longer.

Vortex mixers...the prices...wow. I picked out a paint mixer thing from Badger, i figured it's only 10 bucks what the heck.

Yeah, that was my early Christmas present. Rebuilt model from eBay. A fellow mini painter cleans, rebuilds, repaints and labels them at Typhoon mixers.

well I've already spent a pretty penny so maybe for my birthday.

I tend to mix my paints in 30ml dropper bottles, that way I can mix up a batch, put some in the cup and spray, and if I need more, I can just add it in without having to mix more...

I have a ludicrous amount of 30ml bottle due to a mix up in ordering them last year....

I use Scale Color Acrylic Thinner when I am airbrushing Scale 75.... I tend to like to use the paint makers thinner for their paint if they make one....

George

Ps if you like, we can set up a hangout and I can try to help you with any issues you may have...

Just pm me

That's a goodly idea. I have many dropper bottles.

For a google hangout, do I need a camera cause I don't have one of those, I have a mic here somewhere though. I'd love to get a google hangout together for awesome airbrush tips and friendly banter.  

Anther item I like using is a Madea-Iwata Superlube or recently Paasche airbrush lube. You just add a drop or 2 on the needle & the trigger assembly. Helps lubricate the moving parts for a smoother pull when spraying. The Paasche is little more watery vs the M-I but you get more.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/cleaning/superlube/

my airbrush came with superlube. I'll make sure I use it.
1 person likes this

you only need the camera to show  things...

you can ask me questions and I can show you things on my set up....

I am on the hangouts nightly, starting at around 830/9pm EST, the link is pinned in Off Topic Rampancy...

and here

lots of peeps on at different times for friendly banter on an assortment of things, including (gasp) mini painting and color choices....

1 person likes this

Okay so the airbrush is all hooked up but it's late so I can't turn it on and play. :-( So I thought I'd just get the feel for it, hold it, move the trigger back and forth. I noticed the trigger is a little wiggly and it's sticking. I put some superlube in there like they suggest but, still sticking. :-(

Figured out the sticking problem. I had the pistol grip filter on to tight, causing the plunger to stick in the o ring bit.

AIRBRUSHING IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Edited by tiniest rhombus
3 people like this

To get a feel for it, try using colored water or even plain water (go distilled) & just spray random patterns & lines over a piece of paper. Once you've gotten the basic feel for it, start trying out your paints.

1 person likes this

To get a feel for it, try using colored water or even plain water (go distilled) & just spray random patterns & lines over a piece of paper. Once you've gotten the basic feel for it, start trying out your paints.

I played around with the paint on some paper first. Made little lines and big lines and squiggly lines and dotted lines and dots and circles and well you get the idea. :-) I did some experimenting with how close is to close, what to thin paint looks like trying to spray. Then I primed a bones figure with it, base coated it and that went well so I tried a bit of a fade. I sprayed the whole thing in grey liner, basecoated with nightmare black, sprayed some red violet for the mouth, went back over the mouth with the nightmare black, starting pretty close to the inner most part of the mouth then slowly pulling back from it to get a nice gradient. I was pretty happy with that so I started cleaning up the edges and wet blending some midtones and highlights with a brush. I'll paint the rest with a brush. I'm just going for simple with this one, I'll probably just drybrush the highlights on the back and paint the belly a lighter color. Here's my first efforts. All I could get done before work. I got to close with the pink at first and it pooled a bit but I just wiped it off and tried again.post-13108-0-49144100-1482898759_thumb.jpgpost-13108-0-13866200-1482898793_thumb.jpg
6 people like this

Nice Work!

Airbrushes are great are they not? ::D:

1 person likes this

Nice Work!

I love it! I'm off Thursday, Friday and Sunday this week. I can't wait to play. I'm going to get my dragons don't share primed and started. I've been holding off working on it until I got the airbrush set up, because unlike some people, I'm not completely insane.

I need to get google hangouts set up so I can join in the fun. I'm sure I'll have many questions.

2 people like this

Nice Work!

I love it! I'm off Thursday, Friday and Sunday this week. I can't wait to play. I'm going to get my dragons don't share primed and started. I've been holding off working on it until I got the airbrush set up, because unlike some people, I'm not completely insane.

I need to get google hangouts set up so I can join in the fun. I'm sure I'll have many questions.

anything I can answer...

I'm on the hangouts almost every evening.....

(like now...)

1 person likes this

Nice Work!

anything I can answer...

I'm on the hangouts almost every evening.....

(like now...)

I'll be sure to join you sometime, probably Thursday.

I didn't see anyone mention these for mixing so I though I would add to to the fun.  I use the plastic food cups from Smart and Final.  They come in long sleeves of 100 for about $2.  You can just mix the paint and toss them when you are finished.  You can also recycle them if you like.

1 person likes this

I didn't see anyone mention these for mixing so I though I would add to to the fun.  I use the plastic food cups from Smart and Final.  They come in long sleeves of 100 for about $2.  You can just mix the paint and toss them when you are finished.  You can also recycle them if you like.

I have a ton of medicine cups. I like them for mixing resin to, they make it very easy to get the proportions correct.

K so I got some badger stynylerez airbrush primer. Used it for the first time on hubby's Planet of the apes zira kit and he said when he went to paint it, the paint came right off. I primed them in the morning and he tried to paint it around 4 so plenty of time to cure according to the directions. He said he washed and rinsed the pieces really well before hand. What the heck?

K so I got some badger stynylerez airbrush primer. Used it for the first time on hubby's Planet of the apes zira kit and he said when he went to paint it, the paint came right off. I primed them in the morning and he tried to paint it around 4 so plenty of time to cure according to the directions. He said he washed and rinsed the pieces really well before hand. What the heck?

No clue as I haven't tried that stuff yet....

sorry....

Did the primer come off the mini, or did the paint come off the primer? Was this from the small Reapercon swag bag bottle, or was this from a retailer?

Did you thin it? Did you shake it up really well? I spray mine straight from the bottle at about 25-30 psi, with an Iwata HP-CS standard 0.35mm needle.

I've never had trouble with the three bottle set I picked up from Amazon. I've used it for priming several dozen bones minis. I have not tried the greenish sample form the swag bag. I was going to save it for base coating some zombies.