Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matbar

Highlight advice

10 posts in this topic

So I'm working on this guy as a gift, and I finally think I've twitched the purple on the body into something I like.  For the most part, I also like the red in the mane, tail, and bottom of the legs.  However, I am somehow hitting a brick wall when I try to think of what to use for bright highlights on the mane and tail.  I don't think any of the reds will be contrast enough, I really don't want to go pink, and I'm hesitant to try yellow for fear it will look too much like flames.  Should I use something really far off, like the Sophie silver I blended into the horn?  Or something else?

Suggestions please!

Uni2_zps6teo6qw5.jpg

2 people like this

Red hair triad? The way you use it should keep it from looking flamey.

Nelly_1a.jpg

3 people like this

OOOH!! I just watched a video about this on Miniature Monthly (shameless plug). The instructor (who shall remain nameless *coughEBBcough*) uses flesh tones to highlight her reds, and they looked fantastic.

5 people like this

One of the ways I like to paint what we call red hair is by shading with a more reddish color, having an orange primary color, and finishing with more blondish highlights. You don't always have to just use darker and lighter shades of the same color when shading and highlighting. Going one step over of the color wheel can provide some nice contrast. Especially with hair that tends not to be a uniform color anyways.

3 people like this

Hrm, thanks.  I don't have the triad but for some reason I wasn't considering doing hairlike highlights since it's a fantasy color to start with.  That's some great suggestions, thanks.  And I guess I just haven't watched the most recent video, because I'm subscribed to that :-)

1 person likes this

A little orange in the mix goes a long way.

2 people like this

don't be afraid of some spot highlights with yellow  ...  they would look good with the main highlights in an orange.

3 people like this

I second the watch the mini monthly video advice. I was all *mind blown* never would have thought to use flesh tones to highlight red.

3 people like this

So we're agreed that red highlights well with orange/yellow. Matbar has wondered at using silver for the highlights. Why not look at gold? It's roughly a yellow. Mixing a little of the red and gold together should give you and orange highlight that's slightly glittery. Then a final light touch with just the gold. Light touches on both of these.

Who says something magical as a unicorn wouldn't have hair so glossy it verges on glistering?

4 people like this

you also potentially could do mauve. not too pink, a little purplier.  but orange or flesh would also work great.  I like blonde hair or carrotop red

1 person likes this