kodiakbear

Funded
Dwarven Forge KS5 Back to the dungeon

547 posts in this topic

I have a bunch of cavern tiles and love them but these burrows look very cool.  I will definitely be getting a big set of those. 

36 minutes ago, Talae said:

They seems to be a much smaller "wall" height. That might lower the cost relative to table footprint. 

I think for narrow passages the lower height is better for play.  and I can combine them with the mountain floors for bigger areas.

2 people like this

39 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I think for narrow passages the lower height is better for play.  and I can combine them with the mountain floors for bigger areas.

If cheap, I may be doing the same. 

1 person likes this

The following is a quote from Stefan (The creator and founder of Dwarven Forge) regarding the concerns over increased prices: 

"I'm OK with the criticism. It's true that costs have gone up. I own up to that. At the same time, there really is nothing that can be done other than stop making the products I make. It just costs a lot to make high-quality dungeon pieces. I make the best in the world and am very proud of it. These new pieces can even take magnets! I never stop at trying to innovate and make the best cutting edge products I can make. Anything less is un-inspirational for me. If the factory charges me more every year to hand paint pieces what can I do about it? Not a whole lot. I actually consider it a great value. You say yourself that it would require you "10-100s of hours of time, purchasing of paints..." you left out brushes;) TIME. Time is valuable. I know my time is extremely valuable. 100 hours of my time at say $20/hour is $2000...when I think about that, I am grateful that there is a painted option. please understand I am not trying to cut you down. Your opinion is of course very valuable to me. Without your support and everyone else, I would have no business. I am very honoured and grateful that I have supporters and backers every single year. I am not a greedy person. I don't just say to myself, hmmm...I think I'll go ahead and charge an extra 16% this year because I think I can get away with it. I actually get sick from stress at the increases in costs to my business. I lose sleep thinking about how many backers might drop out because of the higher costs to manufacture my wonderful products. I spent a year of my life pouring my heart into my passion, my vision, joyously thinking about how it will be received...when I get quotes from the factory and the shipping companies my heart sinks and I wring my hands at what to do. How can I cut costs? How can I stay in business? I now have more employees...that means more salaries...I am responsible for them. they look to me for steady work so they can pay the rent month to month. I feel responsible for them. Sorry if I have gotten too personal. I wear my heart on my sleeve man. I have to be honest. Costs to make goods in any part of the world are only going up, and rightly so for humane reasons. I stand by my statement that I feel that our prices are a great bargain if judged by the quality of what you get. We make GREAT products, not inferior ones. There are many competitors out there. We are the leaders and the dreamers. Thanks for another great year! In a month or so we shall begin the enormous effort again of dreaming and envisioning something totally new and visionary. We cannot do it without your generous support and belief in us. We are grateful to the fans and collectors that keep this unconventional company alive. A company run by an artist, a gamer, a rebel, who has attracted a host of incredibly creative and talented artists to work here. Not some greedy CEO that went to business school and loves money over life. What a grand experiment this is! THANK YOU!"

What I love (and this goes for Reaper as well) is that this is a small company (tiny even) attempting to put out the best products they can for the best price they can. They are not perfect and their product is not for everyone, but they are trying their best. Their stuff usually arrives on time (a few month late this year but no one is perfect) and the quality great in my opinion. I personally love supporting these small hobby companies. Now for me not to the tune of $3600, but I will get some fun stuff more within my budget. I will do the same for Bone 4.

3 people like this

Bunch of small add-ons for smaller budgets

The bottom two are great for gamers who are not ready to fully get in the 3d terrain.  Doors work great on game mats, to spice up encounters. 

Set composition corrected 6/18.

a61cb3e89fcd571285133d0de985e2a0_origina

4b1cf299e83331057b7b4a5a1b3e4794_origina

46fffb7bbe99767bd1c114af34769e2b_origina

db2ecc3a92750e249849521b3cf0cd83_origina

4a78ed805893ee378047eb17a83c7f1e_origina

df5e27fc0f4f5a3272a172499dcbca7b_origina

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Charred Toast said:

What I love (and this goes for Reaper as well) is that this is a small company (tiny even) attempting to put out the best products they can for the best price they can.

I didn't say it in this thread, but I also think it's better to be the leader of the pack than fight for second place. KS has lowered the barrier to entry, and many other good terrain KS projects have become available, less expensive, but not as good as DF. I did shoot DF a message through KS that maybe they should start looking at selling retail, such as the KS1 Game Tile sets, or KS V Dungeon Starter set. I know DF went to direct decades ago, because retail couldn't support the prices of his resin products. But, now that the molds have been paid and gamers are willing to spend more money, I think DF should look again at the retail market. At the least, retail exposure could pick up customers to replace these lost backers.

2 people like this

The double doors sets are awesome and a good entry price.

I can't wait for that beautiful crystal pool stretch goal.

2 people like this

Yeah to clarify my earlier statement, I never thought they were over priced per se.  I actually think the price is probably about right for what you get.  It was just that its always been a question of what else do I want to give up in order to grab some DF sets?  Fortunately this year I have some money to spend on it.  Not as much as I might like, but enough to get my feet wet.  I do think that it can make for some great, memorable encounters at the table.  I know that when I've used other tile sets in the past (generalyl 2D or the Malifaux dungeon sets that were similar but made to be 3D) my players always loved them.  These will be even more immersive.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Here are two add ons that I will likely be getting multiples of:

f4dbf94ba1c53853a56b7583f63b4eaa_origina

8f388675fe87c3c5004f48c31098bc47_origina

Edited by Talae
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm going to add-on the crap out of those, unless I decide to give in and get a lava bridge.

Honestly though I suspect getting a bridge, a couple boxes, and the chasm edge pieces is gonna be a more appropriate way to do it than getting the whole lava set.

Edited by Erk
3 people like this

That bridge add-on even if a bit pricy is so tempting ! Damn you low CAD currency ><

IME, and I've been buying DF product long enough that I have 7 resin sets, you need to spend around $500 to get a useful set. Before that, it's just samples. So catering to high mean pledges seems reasonable to me.

That said, I don't think I'll be doing more than a few sets of addons (doors, double doors, probably some vaulted), because I don't really want to spend another $500+ on this project. ::P:

As to price? I'm fine with them charging whatever they can get away with. If I like the value proposition, I'll pay the price and if not, not. There's no moral component here.

1 person likes this

I would love to see a picture with one of the Elevation Platforms used as storage and completely full. 

5 people like this

11 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

IME, and I've been buying DF product long enough that I have 7 resin sets, you need to spend around $500 to get a useful set. Before that, it's just samples. So catering to high mean pledges seems reasonable to me.

That said, I don't think I'll be doing more than a few sets of addons (doors, double doors, probably some vaulted), because I don't really want to spend another $500+ on this project. ::P:

As to price? I'm fine with them charging whatever they can get away with. If I like the value proposition, I'll pay the price and if not, not. There's no moral component here.

So you are telling me that if I want the Level 1 + bridge (and maybe the starter)  add-on i wouldn't have a useful set? :(

I don't really agree with doug. Depending on your usage, a level 2 pledge is easily enough to build a decent dungeon. That's about how much I've got with my cavern set and I've used it just fine for months. I'm excited to have more stuff, but I can build tons with my simple set.

Level 1 is probably going to require a bit more creative additions, I'd suggest adding on floors and walls or getting an encounter 3 set which has a lot of them. But I bet you'd be able to play quite a bit with just the L1 pack.

1 person likes this