Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matbar

Purple unicorn vignette

7 posts in this topic

Okay, this is a WIP of the making of the vignette, not the entire paint process.  This is my first post here, so bear with me if I have to modify stuff.  If the descriptions come out by the right photos the first time, I'll be pleasantly surprised :-)  The post is going to be photo heavy, so I reduced the size of all of them.  Hopefully it won't be too bloated.

#1 The 99% mostly finished unicorn. -- EDIT -- grabbed the wrong photo, this one also lacks the mane & tail highlighting.  If I add the corrected photo it will screw up the order.  Whoops :-)

#2  I "built" this tree using things from the yard.  I couldn't find one exactly the way I wanted, so I cut and glued in pieces until I had what I wanted.

#3  A spray primered piece of floor tile for the base, with a framework for the hill I wanted.  The hill bit is the cardboard from the middle of one of those drink carrier things, Gorilla glued onto the base.  I used Gorilla glue rather than one of the other kinds for enhanced sturdiness throughout.

#4  I didn't want too much green or too much brown for my ground cover, so I mixed some static grass with old coffee grounds.

#5  Putty time!

#6  The oil slick, aka black primer so I'd have a steady color under my grass.

#7  Some steps along the way getting my ground cover in.

#8  I covered up the unicorn because for the last step I wanted an extremely light dusting representing the first snow of the year, but I didn't want any on him.

*** edit  ***  Have to do a second post with the finished product, ran out of allowable photos.  Also I didn't get the steps above each photo, but I think ya'll can figure it out.

post-7308-0-40451900-1482778827_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-11427600-1482778893_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-54866600-1482778978_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-68483200-1482779017_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-19891800-1482779100_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-68424200-1482779109_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-15717600-1482779156_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-75110800-1482779187_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-84960600-1482779201_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-98006500-1482779259_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-18770500-1482779269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matbar
13 people like this

#9  The finished product.  Last 1% of the unicorn was darkening the eyes and brightening the hooves.

post-7308-0-60760600-1482779567_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-66170100-1482779572_thumb.jpg

post-7308-0-79232000-1482779576_thumb.jpg

13 people like this

Nice!

I love the Unicorn, the base is well done.

I do think the base is rather large for just the Unicorn, are you adding something else?

maybe a little familiar/animal?

1 person likes this

No, it's done as is.  I really thought about adding another animal, maybe a small squirrel at the base of the tree, but decided I wanted the unicorn to be the focal point.  Your comment is valid, and had I made this as some sort of contest entry I would have added more to it.  For this, I wanted it to look a bit wide open.  It's supposed to represent the very beginning of winter, just a few flakes of the first snow.  It's not supposed to look "dead" per se, but not something full of lively animals.  The base IS much larger than something I would normally make, but this is for display on a shelf or end table and I wanted it to be heavy enough it wouldn't knock around easily.

Thanks for the C&C!

3 people like this

Good work!

And the step by step makes perfect sense, BTW.

1 person likes this

Very nice!

1 person likes this