Chris Palmer

Frostgrave Campaign 2017

Thanks for the remarks I-Thumb.  I saw the Adventuring Kids set and thought, "Oooh, I gotta have 'em"; so I wrote the young apprentice story line back in the first game report.

The Familiar spell doesn't require models but it makes for a good excuse to place the figures on the table.

Knabe

• Like 3

You all seem to get a lot more wandering monsters then we have in our (one, so far) game.  We just got two over 10+ rounds and the first one was because of group fiat (what, we rolled a 5 again?).  Did you house rule the number needed to appear?

• Like 2

I'm thinking seriously about doing a wandering monster roll every turn, and maybe even on 11+, just because they shake things up and reduce the "sneak around and sneak away" that seems to be our default.

• Like 2

For that scenario, we were rolling wandering monsters for every treasure and token, so there were a lot more rolls than usual.

• Like 2

As David said, in this game there were a lot more rolls due to the rune stone tokens.  I find it really varies by games, with some times hardly anyone rolling the required amount, and other times it seems like every other roll generates something. 

• Like 2

Happy to announce that after several weeks, we finally played our 6th game of the Campaign this past Saturday.  We reprised the Library scenario from the Core Rulebook, that we had originally done last December.   It was an exciting close-quarters fight; and while I managed to collect 5 treasures, I only succeeded at 7 spells in all 8 turns and pregame. 

Quail's report and photos: Game 6: The Library

"...The rock flew with magical precision down the hall, through a hole in the half collapsed door, and struck with a sharp report against the wall by Bailey's head. The young woman cried out in pain and surprise as there was a blinding flash and loud concussive explosion. Shattered stone splinters cut deep gashes in her face, and the force of the blast made her stagger backwards. (Bailey's HP reduced to 1) Almost falling, Quail's Apprentice fought to stay conscious and standing.  Her insides felt like she had been kicked all over her body by a hundred angry mules.  Bailey's nose bled and her ears rang, as she stumbled back to the shelter of the nearby bookcase.  She went down hard on her knees, and slumping up against the nearby wall tried to think clearly and recall the simple words of a Heal spell.  Blood was running down her face from the several deep cuts, and dripped from her nose and chin on to the fresh white snow on the floor around her. As the young woman tried to form the words of the spell carefully one by one,  a quiet alarm went off in her head..."

fullsizeoutput_1efb.jpeg

UntitledFG61.001.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

Great report and photos, Knabe! (even with all the defamatory comments :blink:

I really like the eye-level picture of Bemis casting the Grenade.  You really know how to line up those cool shots.

• Like 1

We had our July game this past weekend, only two weeks after the June one!  We did the House of Longreach scenario from The Thaw of the Lich Lord supplement. It was a lot of crazy fun with folks popping out of portals all over the place. 

Quail's report has been posted.

The District of Longreach

"...The sight of one of the other Sigilist's soldiers brought up a well of anger as Quail's Apprentice flashbacked to the moments of fear and pain in the library.  Quail saw the sudden appearance of the Dwarf as well,  and quickly looked over to her Apprentice to see if she had noticed.  The wizard could see Bailey staring at the tower, and without looking, the young woman reached a hand under her robes to draw her sword.  The Sigilist called to her Apprentice, "Bailey, don't!", but got no answer, or even acknowledgement.   The Maga Librarian realized she couldn't reach the girl in time to stop her, and quickly decided on trying to at least try and help her. So Quail splayed the fingers of her right hand towards the Dwarf, and recited the words of Blinding Light..."

fullsizeoutput_1f89.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f82.jpeg

• Like 5

Wow, I had a pair of adventures to get caught up on!   Poor Bailee!!  Really nice character development.  I was actually hoping that she was going to take out the dwarf and get closure at the end of the last adventure, but apparently even a light-blinded dwarf is a capable foe!

So, Knabe, about getting that report posted...?   :poke:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pippin said:

Wow, I had a pair of adventures to get caught up on!   Poor Bailee!!  Really nice character development.  I was actually hoping that she was going to take out the dwarf and get closure at the end of the last adventure, but apparently even a light-blinded dwarf is a capable foe!

So, Knabe, about getting that report posted...?   :poke:

Thanks, Pippin!   I have to say it has been enjoyable to narrate the unfortunate attack and aftermath with Bailey, so I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.  Like you though, I wish it had been resolved nicely at the end of last game.  It will be interesting to see where she is in her recovery next outing; which is just over a week away.   It's interesting that the game has provided the realistic outcomes that both my wizard and apprentice, coming from a cloistered life in a university library, have proven to be not much in the combat department.  Hopefully, their intelligence and ability to learn quickly will see them through to the end.  

I poked Knabe to get his report finished.  So hopefully we will see something soon.

• Like 1