Chris Palmer

Frostgrave Campaign 2017

Okay, Okay....I finally overcame my writer's block and present my meager report of the 7th game of the 2d campaign for your reading enjoyment (hopefully).

A Long Reach

20170708_103544.jpg

Edited by Knabe
Fix link
  • Like 5

An excellent and highly enjoyable update, Knabe!  Loved the wit in the writing (ham for dinner indeed!) and the analysis of the adventure. 

Sounds like Bemis had quite the success!

• Like 1

Thanks Pippin, I try make my reports entertaining.  

Yes, Bemis was able to secure more than his share of the treasures.  He was quite pleased.  Especially given his lack of offensively oriented spells.  Although some claim that Draining Word is offensive enough.

Knabe

Quail's report from the August game has been posted: The Lair of the Ghoul King and Queen

Enjoy! 

"...Take this," Quail said to her Apprentice.   Without a word, frowning, Bailisette reached out her hand and snatched the vial. The Apprentice's arm then froze for a moment in mid movement, and the young woman slowly raised the hand grasping the vial to her face, and unflexed her fingers.  Bailey stared at the clear red liquid frothing in its glass container as it rested on her palm, her eyes fixed upon it.  Quail thought for just a second she saw Bailey's eyes glint the same red as the liquid; then, before the Sigilist could consider this strange sight, as quickly as the Apprentice had snatched the vial, the young woman closed her hand around the smooth glass and shoved the vial deep into one of her pockets... a slight unseen smile coming over the Apprentice's scarred face..." 

fullsizeoutput_20e9.jpeg

FG8.4.001.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Pippin said:

Another excellent update!

It was nice to see the Bailey trauma storyline reach some conclusion. 

Thank you, Pippin!  Glad to hear you enjoyed it.  

I'm glad it came to a conclusion too.  ::):

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

So did the other apprentice actually get killed though?  Or just have to make a survival roll?

Don't know if I should give away what actually happened behind the wall, or if everyone needs to wait until Knabe posts Bemis' report to find out...

Any thought on that, Knabe?   

• Like 1

In record time, here's Bemis' report from last Saturday's campaign game: Who Closed the Door?

It includes the events surrounding Bailey's unprovoked attack upon a helpless young apprentice.

Enjoy.

-Knabe

20170805_123850.jpg

• Like 6

Just caught up on the frostgravy goodness.  Impressive hauls and surprisingly little loss of life for what sounded like a dangerous scenario.  How much would you credit to experience with the game?  

Can't wait to hear about the next episode!

• Like 1

Wow, looks like "Bemis the Barbarian" went on a ghoul stomping spree!!  Must say, I was rather amused by what a massive force of melee destruction he was!

Peeking behind the veil to get the other side of the apprentice battle really took us on an unexpected turn!  Here I was thinking Agarn had suffered a fatal blow when, in actuality, it was his poor, poor hat that had suffered such a grievous blow!

An excellent update!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

Just caught up on the frostgravy goodness.  Impressive hauls and surprisingly little loss of life for what sounded like a dangerous scenario.  How much would you credit to experience with the game?  

Can't wait to hear about the next episode!

That's an interesting question, InvisibleThumb.   I would have to mark it up to experience with the game.  I find the more we play, the more there is a general lack of desire to want to engage in a slugfest with the enemy.  If you look at the longer shots of the table in my reports and Kanbe's, you will see that the use of Fog and Wall spells has dramatically increased the longer we have played. (and to a lesser extent, Wizard's Eye)  It has become much more a chess-like game of maneuver and bluff than outfight carnage.  That's not to say there isn't violence and death anymore; it's just that now it has a more select and intended purpose. We've learned to pick our battles in other words.   Everyone has learned that risking your wizard and apprentice is fool-hearty.    And the same with an expensive soldier wielding a high-priced magical weapon or armor.  

That all being said, I think it provides for a much more realistic game.  (And is one of the reasons campaign games are so much better than one-off engagements) Everyone has a stake in surviving the battle, so you don't waste your resources unnecessarily.   Also, it makes the setting seem something more of a "Gentlemen's Game"; which I think it would be.  You have a bunch of powerful wizards (who if we assume are somewhat limited in number in this world), probably know each other to some extent by this point. (At least by name and reputation if not in person).  So they're (as least as I see the nature of our games) not really out to kill the other guy. (Though this might happen).  I kind of see it like medieval knights.  They would joust with each other, and try to bash each others heads in on the tournament field (and some would be badly injured or even die) but in the end, they were all part of the same elite social class, and for the most part (within a limited territory) knew each other.

It also helps to be deep into the campaign and have your wizard's stats all maxed out.  I'm sure Knabe's wizard is +8 Fight and 20 Health Points (Just like Quail is); which makes slicing through a few Ghouls a relatively easy task. (Also assuming you can role well, like Knabe; and not piss poorly like me. ::P:)

21 minutes ago, Pippin said:

Wow, looks like "Bemis the Barbarian" went on a ghoul stomping spree!!  Must say, I was rather amused by what a massive force of melee destruction he was!

Peeking behind the veil to get the other side of the apprentice battle really took us on an unexpected turn!  Here I was thinking Agarn had suffered a fatal blow when, in actuality, it was his poor, poor hat that had suffered such a grievous blow!

An excellent update!

Yes, sorry for the misdirect in Quail's report.   I needed Bailey to think she had harmed Agarn, in order for her to have a catalyst to snap her out of her post-traumatic grief.  If you go back and reread that part of Quail's report, Bailey is actually temporarily blinded by the bright flash in a darkened room, so she wasn't able to see anything; and even if she could, Agarn had disappeared from her view after the blast (see Bemis' report).  It was just her emotionally overloaded mind that filled in the blanks incorrectly.  She knew what had happened to her in Bemis' Grenade attack in the Library, so she just assumed that is what happened to Bemis' Apprentice; as that is what her half-crazed anger-burdened mind had pictured was going to happen.  In the moment she was so overcome with suppressed grief and sadness I think part of her wanted to punish herself with the worse possible outcome.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2