Chris Palmer

Frostgrave Campaign 2017

148 posts in this topic

Bemis the Sigilist presents this account of his first foray into the frozen city      Darkness Falls

Post%2BGame%2B1%2Bpic.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Knabe

An enjoyable read, Knabe; and super photos! 

1 person likes this

Cool write up!

I won't lie, it felt weird reading about wizards who weren't Kodak or Knabe, but both war reports were quite interesting and well written.  I'll be paying particular attention to how the captain grows and develops throughout your campaign.

5 people like this

I won't lie, it felt weird reading about wizards who weren't Kodak or Knabe, but both war reports were quite interesting and well written.  I'll be paying particular attention to how the captain grows and develops throughout your campaign.

Well, I have to say it was strange writing for a wizard who wasn't Kodak.  It was hard to do the interactions and dialogue as I don't really know these people yet.   

3 people like this

Thanks Chaos and Pippin.

Hopefully you will learn to root for these two underdogs - wizards without combat/damage spells (well at least Bemis has none).

And I hated retiring Knabe. Maybe we will play some "legends" games at a future date and bring them back.

Knabe

Edited by Knabe
4 people like this

Thanks Chaos and Pippin.

Hopefully you will learn to root for these two underdogs - wizards without combat/damage spells (well at least Bemis has none).

And I hated retiring Knabe. Maybe we will play some "legends" games at a future date and bring them back.

Knabe

No, Quail has nothing more offensive than a Furious Quill spell.  :)

Yes, I think it's safe to say you haven't seen the last of K & K.  I like the idea of a legends game.   Or, maybe we could work them into a scenario somehow in the current campaign...  Maybe the Lich Lord is kidnapping powerful wizards for some dark purpose, and the current warbands need to find and free them. :) 

3 people like this

Knabe

Yes, I think it's safe to say you haven't seen the last of K & K.  I like the idea of a legends game.   Or, maybe we could work them into a scenario somehow in the current campaign...  Maybe the Lich Lord is kidnapping powerful wizards for some dark purpose, and the current warbands need to find and free them. :)

Okay, I'm loving the idea of the "retired" wizards coming back! It randomly popped into mind that Chris had the sorceress whose hand he'd cut off in the conversion of Leigh and I'd suggested replacing it with a knife-wielding hand or some such. What if a figure like that is the cultist wizard (and she might have a couple of apprentices since there are up to 8 player-controlled wizards) and she and her cultist band are kidnapping the high-level wizards and planning a ritual sacrifice of these mages to empower the Lich Lord (or some such)? The spellcaster could be given a list of four possible spells (maybe 3 offensive and 1 ally or self-buffing) and on the monster phase, roll a d20 to determine which spell he/she uses.

And of course, some sort of narrative of how/why your group was hired/recruited/begged to go rescue your specific wizard could be added in as suits your group.

Table set-up could involve designating 8 (or however many of you are there) places where the wizards might be held and then rolling to determine where your captive wizard is (and therefore where your active warband will begin). Of course, cultists and the cult spellcasters will be placed before the rolling which, therefore, makes your roll really good or particularly bad (mwahahaha). Treasure is placed as normal, but each warband that successfully rescues their wizard gets an additional 50 experience and gets 1 free grimoire to represent the grateful wizard teaching them a new spell (and no rerolls if it's a spell you already know).

This could even lead into a part two in which the warband along with the advanced wizard go after the more powerful allies of these first cultists to put a stop to the further efforts they would surely make to recapture the wizards and carry out the plan. It would add in the advanced wizard phase as the first part of each round.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts I had on how that might work. Feel free to take it or leave it.

3 people like this

I don't know if we'll actually get around to doing such a scenario, Pippin,  but you have some neat ideas there if we do!

1 person likes this

Pippin,

If we do get around to a legends game, we will discuss your thoughts.

So little time, so many things to do.

Knabe

1 person likes this

I dunno.  When I read through this, and first saw the idea of bringing them back as the Frostgrave version of "Hostage Girl," I thought, "Nooooo!"  You don't want to besmirch the names of surviving wizards Kodak and Knabe, do you?  Needing the help of rookies?  No, I do not have a different idea... 

3 people like this

I dunno.  When I read through this, and first saw the idea of bringing them back as the Frostgrave version of "Hostage Girl," I thought, "Nooooo!"  You don't want to besmirch the names of surviving wizards Kodak and Knabe, do you?  Needing the help of rookies?  No, I do not have a different idea...

Hey, even The Doctor gets captured now and then and needs to be rescued/helped out by his companions. If it's good enough for a Time Lord, surely it's good enough for famous wizards ;=)
3 people like this

So, this past Saturday was our second game!  We did the second scenario from Thaw of the Lich Lord: "Battle on the River".

It was a great game, and seeing everybody's ships laid out on 12' of river was really cool to behold.  My Sigilist, Quailelyn, and her Apprentice, Bailisette, ended up being caught between a rock (David's Doctor) and a hard place (Our local Summoner) which resulted in over half of my warband being brought down during the battle, and only two treasures retrieved!  

For the full exciting blow-by-blow account   :lol: please visit my blog:  Battle on the River

...Quail regained herself quickly though, and seeing a rotting old crate half buried in the ice a few yards away, her mind turned to the ships' cargo. What wondrous things might be hidden in those old hulks? She didn't have long to consider that thought, for as she gazed across the frozen expanse of the once great Meregile River, her eye was caught by movement on the far bank. Sure enough, she saw soldiers from two other wizards' warbands moving on the far side,...

fullsizeoutput_19ec.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_19e7.jpeg

4 people like this

Another excellent write-up!  Also really enjoyed the "pre-game" write-up of the casting of Reveal Secret!

Can't believe how the dice rolls turned from poor to perfect going from during game to post-game.  Congrats on keeping everyone and congrats to Clol on his promotion  :=)

2 people like this

Another excellent write-up!  Also really enjoyed the "pre-game" write-up of the casting of Reveal Secret!

Can't believe how the dice rolls turned from poor to perfect going from during game to post-game.  Congrats on keeping everyone and congrats to Clol on his promotion  :=)

Thanks, Pippin!  I'm glad you enjoyed it!   And, thanks for the kind words regarding the pre-game scene.  I'd love to spend more time writing about events off the game table, as the group interacts at their tower base, but I know most folks just want to get to the game action and my reports tend to be overly long anyway. 

2 people like this