Chris Palmer

Frostgrave Campaign 2017

170 posts in this topic

Excellent story telling!  I love a game that can be both strategic and immersive like that.  And the nicely painted figures and terrain really add to the atmosphere.  

Care to share the secrets of finding/forming a group like you've got?  I've only played so far with the kids and may want to have a game or two with adults (before my kids are grown that is).

3 people like this

Still working on my update... *sigh*

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

Excellent story telling!  I love a game that can be both strategic and immersive like that.  And the nicely painted figures and terrain really add to the atmosphere.  

Care to share the secrets of finding/forming a group like you've got?  I've only played so far with the kids and may want to have a game or two with adults (before my kids are grown that is).

Thank you very much for your kind remarks, InvisibleThumb!   I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the report.

I consider myself beyond lucky to be a part of this group.  I wish I could share some easy ultimate secret to how we came together.  We are mainly a miniatures wargaming group, doing both historical and fantasy/sci-fi.  We were formed over 20 years ago as the result of a local fellow who wanted to find other gamers in the area, so he signed up to teach a non-credit course at the local Community College, called "Wargaming with Miniatures". After the course ended we started to meet in folks houses, and from there friends started telling friends, and our membership grew.

If you want the full story of our club, you can see it here on our blog:  History of the HAWKs

I'm not sure exactly where in the PAMDDE area you are located (assuming that means PA, MD, DE, but we are located in Harford County, Maryland so may not be too far from you.  We hold a regional miniatures gaming convention every September in Havre De Grace, if you are interested.  I'm sure there will be some Frostrgrave played there. :)

2 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Still working on my update... *sigh*

Lol...Well, it's not like you have anything else going on at the moment...::P:

It will be a real horserace to see whether you or Knabe post your report first!   :lol:

Edited by Chris Palmer
4 people like this

Thanks, Chris, for sharing that.  That's cool you got started as a class that way.  I feel like I am growing a group here, but they are all 10 years old or younger.  I taught my own children to play Frostgrave, but when we invited their friends to try too there was not enough time for them to understand the rules, never mind start to employ tactics.

I would like to try a convention some time if the schedule permits.  I have heard of Historicon, which is not too far away.  And yes you're right about my location.  Pretty much at the intersection of all three states (on the DE side).

Sorry for derailing your thread! I'm looking forward to reading more battle reports.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

I would like to try a convention some time if the schedule permits.  I have heard of Historicon, which is not too far away.  And yes you're right about my location.  Pretty much at the intersection of all three states (on the DE side).

So just off of 273 somewhere?  I'm also part of the same group as Chris, and I'm not far from there either.  If you could be free on alternate Friday nights, there's a club meeting in Aberdeen, Maryland, probably within a 40 minute drive from you.

3 people like this

8 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

Thanks, Chris, for sharing that.  That's cool you got started as a class that way.  I feel like I am growing a group here, but they are all 10 years old or younger.  I taught my own children to play Frostgrave, but when we invited their friends to try too there was not enough time for them to understand the rules, never mind start to employ tactics.

Sorry for derailing your thread! I'm looking forward to reading more battle reports.

InvisibleThumb-

As Rob can attest, gaming with your kids can pay off when they're older.  There's more than one of our members' kids who started playing when they were knee-high, and have become gaming adults during the lifespan of the club!  :) 

I'm going to PM you with a bunch of information, so we can keep the thread on track.  You may not know it, but the central East Coast is one of the densest gaming populations in the country. :) 

2 people like this

Well I see I beat David to the punch...or post

Here's Bemis' report from our last campaign game:  Herding Rangifers

Hope you enjoy it.

Knabe

20170429_094120.jpg

8 people like this

Nice report Knabe!  It was fun hearing a different perspective on the same game.  I take it no word could be made from your "runes?"  I love word games so I was hoping to see letters to play around with.  I'll just go back to my crossword... 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Great report and photos, Knabe!    

Somehow I don't think Bemis giving Niko the "wrong" potion was an accident. :poke:  

Hard to believe the next game is only 3 days away!  I didn't know if you'd get your report posted in time! :lol:

Edited by Chris Palmer
4 people like this

Congrats, Knabe!  You won second place in the posting race!  (David can still get the bronze, though, so everybody goes home with a medal).

Another really nice update!  In my mind, I read Diesel Vin's name as Vin Diesel every time.  Your statement about not getting many shots of the game action is negated by the fact that the shots you did get were good and made for an excellent narrative.  Kudos!

1 person likes this

Cool bat-rep!

Great posts everyone!  They are a lot to live up to for when the NEMPA campaign starts up.  I fully intend to continue the write up trend.

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Great posts everyone!  They are a lot to live up to for when the NEMPA campaign starts up.  I fully intend to continue the write up trend.

Thanks, Dilvish!   That would be great to see reports from NEMPA's games!  Of course then you'd have to add a "G" to the acronym: NEMPGA! ::):

1 person likes this

Nah, we just paint to game.::P:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the kind remarks all.

InvisThumb - I didn't even think to grab  a pic of my "runes", the letters were W F U K and I think Y.  So other than the obvious vulgar that was disallowed, I had no luck trying to make anything that was a real word.

Knabe

Edited by Knabe
2 people like this