Chris Palmer

Frostgrave Campaign 2017

136 posts in this topic

Love those Rangifers. I may have to get some of those. Great terrain & nice warbands as well.

12 hours ago, haldir said:

Love those Rangifers. I may have to get some of those. Great terrain & nice warbands as well.

Thanks, haldir!  The Rangifer are nice models, but very fiddley to assemble. 

We played the fourth scenario from Thaw of the Lich Lord, The Storm of Undeath, this past Saturday.  Quail's report has been posted. 

"...Quail braced herself at the foot of the steps outside the back door of the old stone building as best she could, and pulled her yet-to-be-used sword from its scabbard.  Seconds later the old rotted rear door splintered open and the Necromancer's man burst out, clutching a chest under one arm, and drawing his weapon with the other.  Seeing the Sigilist standing there, he yelled in anger and jumped down the steps at her, dagger raised. The weight of the man pushed Quail backwards, and her sword went flying from her hand as she lost her footing..."

Storm of Undeath

fullsizeoutput_1d35.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1d2a.jpeg

7 people like this

Looks like it was an exciting game yet again!

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Looks like it was an exciting game yet again!

Thanks, Dilvish!  Yes it was, with death and destruction all over. :)  

Interestingly, we found it was brought to a conclusion much sooner than our games usually are.  Possibly due to the high attrition rates on everybody's warbands. 

Wow, that was a pretty brutal fight! I'm glad you managed to make it through mostly unscathed.

1 person likes this

What a harrowing battle!  Chris, your writing is so immersive I was reading it rather hurriedly to find out what would happen to Quail.  So what, ko'ed but no permanent effect?  I can only imagine you having to write an even more serious result.  A lot of the fun is in the risk and "rolling with the punches," though, isn't it?  

1 person likes this

Another excellent write-up!  I was rather surprised to see the riskier nature of your play this time, so it was interesting reading through the commentary you gave at the end about the struggles you and Quail faced together.  Maybe pick up some explosive cocktails for future occasions when they need damaging spells?

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Wow, that was a pretty brutal fight! I'm glad you managed to make it through mostly unscathed.

Thanks, Chaoswolf!   Yeah, I really lived up to my Reaper Forum "God" name. ::P:  

11 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

What a harrowing battle!  Chris, your writing is so immersive I was reading it rather hurriedly to find out what would happen to Quail.  So what, ko'ed but no permanent effect?  I can only imagine you having to write an even more serious result.  A lot of the fun is in the risk and "rolling with the punches," though, isn't it?  

Thank you so much, InvisibleThumb!  Never had my wirting called "immersive" before. ::D:   

Yes, Quail was reduced to 0 HP, and rolled "Full Recovery" for her after game result.    I'm always prepared to write the worse whenever a character goes down in a game.  Have you read any of last year's Campaign?  My wizard last year, Kodak, lost a main member of his warband almost every other game, including his Apprentice, a long-time friend who was a Templar, and then the Templar's sister!  So I got to write a lot of sad scenes.   It's part of what surprises me so much about this year; I'm not used to playing game after game where everyone survives!  

And yes, I agree, a lot of fun is seeing where the story goes as I play it out, and figuring in my mind how I will interpret it in a narrative. ::):

10 hours ago, Pippin said:

Another excellent write-up!  I was rather surprised to see the riskier nature of your play this time, so it was interesting reading through the commentary you gave at the end about the struggles you and Quail faced together.  Maybe pick up some explosive cocktails for future occasions when they need damaging spells?

Thank you, Pippin!   Yes, I was a bit riskier with my play this time; partly do to the requirements of the scenario, and partly because I was beginning to feel a little like my warband was immortal.  An lastly, because seeing all those lovely treasures slip through my fingers made me a bit impulsive.   

Explosive Cocktails might not be a bad idea. Quail was eager to use her new Ivory Scroll of Elemental Ball, but there was never a good opportunity; either the enemy was too spread out, or her own people were too close to them.  I'm beginning to think she might benefit from learning Elemental Bolt though. ::D:

2 people like this

10 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Thank you, Pippin!   Yes, I was a bit riskier with my play this time; partly do to the requirements of the scenario, and partly because I was beginning to feel a little like my warband was immortal.  An lastly, because seeing all those lovely treasures slip through my fingers made me a bit impulsive.   

Explosive Cocktails might not be a bad idea. Quail was eager to use her new Ivory Scroll of Elemental Ball, but there was never a good opportunity; either the enemy was too spread out, or her own people were too close to them.  I'm beginning to think she might benefit from learning Elemental Bolt though. ::D:

Well, the casting rolls for elemental bolt would be high for a while, at least.  That's part of my logic with explosive cocktails:  no casting roll.  Of course, it would be cheaper to just have Quail and Bail get bows.  Just 5 gc according to the captain equipment.

1 person likes this

48 minutes ago, Pippin said:

Quail and Bail

:lol::lol::lol::lol:  I don't know why, but I really like that!  I need to work that into a write-up.  

You're right about Elemental Bolt, and in reality I don't see Quail adopting that anytime soon.   My main concern with the Explosive Cocktail is the same issue Quail had this game with the Explosive Ball scroll;  It's an indiscriminate area weapon.  

I'm intrigued by the Bow idea...  I may try that with Bailey.   Unfortunately, a lot of the scenarios in Lich Lord suffer from limited visibility rules,  so missile troops aren't the most useful.  It might be really cool to arm a wizard with a bow, and then jack up their Shoot to the max (+5) with leveling.  As I read the rules, the wiz can have a hand weapon and a bow as the extra weapon.  A crossbow might be even more sneaky.

Currently I have both Quail & Bail ::D: armed with the hand weapon & dagger combo for the +1 Fight bonus. 

Hello all,

Here's Bemis' report from our last campaign game:  Rise of the Undead

This was a great game (as usual).

20170513_115928.jpg

1 person likes this

Great report and photo coverage of the battle in your neck of the woods, Knabe!   

Glad to see Quail's Treasure Hunter and Warhound make a special appearance. They almost succeeded! ::P:  

And nice name-dropping of you old namesake wizard.  Now Quail's going to have to find some "Kodak Was Were" graffiti in the library. :lol:

1 person likes this

Wow, teleporting the possessed soldier into the midst of your band was quite the unfortunate backfire!  I'd have thought that all the flanking bonuses should have overwhelmed him.

Still, an excellent effort by the successor of the great druid Knabe  ;=)

1 person likes this

Pippin,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I was hoping to get an easy kill for my Captain, Nigel so he could get some more points.  I was all glad I managed the Transpose until Chaffarn's controller looked at me and smirked "You know that's my possessed treasure hunter".  Then I must have picked up Chris' dice because my to fight rolls were abysmal.  I was really sweating the survival roll for Nigel at the end of the game.

Knabe

1 person likes this

Another fun read Knabe!  Nice haul here I'd say.  I really like the character of your models.  Especially the adventuring kid as an apprentice.  And your badger/beaver familiars are impressive little fuzzballs.  Does the spell effect require a model or is that more for show or to help remember?

1 person likes this