Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So I'm painting up the Mantic Giant. I'm calling him James, because the head I'm using is very much a James Hetfield head.
Say hi, James.
I started off by priming with a sample of Badger's Stynylrez that I got with last year's RCon swag bag and my Badger Patriot 105 airbrush. I'm pretty sure the primer is their olive green. I used the olive green because I couldn't find the sample bottle of the more off-white/yellow Stynylrez primer that I got from the swag bag two years ago. Then I found it after I finished priming and started trying to mix up a flesh tone. Go figure. I didn't take any pictures of the primed pieces, because all they were was olive green all over.
When mixing up my skin tone, I wanted something tanned looking, but darker and more bronzed than Reaper's tanned skin. I wanted it to look more like how the skin of someone who works outside all summer long tends to look, with that almost leather look that they tend to get. After all, a giant like this guy isn't going to be spending a lot of time indoors, especially not if he's part of an army.
So I started with Vallejo bronze fleshtone and leather brown in roughly equal parts. Which ended up too orange. So I upped the leather brown, and it was still too orange. So I added in Reaper Tanned Shadow, and I almost got it where I wanted. The final touch was some Reaper tanned skin, and I got it to be good enough. Don't ask me proportions, because after the first mix I have no idea. I just threw some color in, stuck it to the vortex mixer for a few seconds, and then looked again to see if I liked it. I finished it off by making it airbrush-ready with some Createx 4012 reducer.
In this picture, it's the unlabeled bottle in the middle. The other bottles are the paints I mixed together to get it.
Now, armed with my skintone, I decided that I wanted to try a different airbrush. So I broke out my Badger Renegade Krome for the very first time and started applying. The difference between the Krome and the Patriot is night and day because of one simple, but amazing, feature - an adjustable trigger stop. It's freaking sweet. No worries about over spraying massive amounts of paint accidentally, and you have so much more control over your lines because of it.
And the skin is where I stopped for the night.
For your viewing pleasure is Vanja, the Fire Giant Queen - without that hot, itchy cloak. The spot for her cloak was filled in and sculpted with Green Stuff to match her muscular anatomy.
Bones, Basil! Bones! I am continually impressed with the Bones medium. High detail, resilient, and inexpensive. She is going into my Orcs and Goblins Oldhammer Army.
This was my entry for the Reaper Fan Facebook Page Paint Your Giants Contest.
This is the biggest thing I ever painted not on a canvas.
The last time I entered one of these, I felt like it would have done better if the base told more of a story, so that is what I tried to achieve with this one.
I wanted it to portray REVENGE!
The Jarl had his left eye gouged out by a young upstart white dragon. He healed, regrouped, and hunted down the dragon to enact his revenge.
I hope you like it.
The final results have now been posted. He placed 4th behind some mind-blowing work.
I wanted some orange on the model to play against the blue skin, for color theory.
Originally, it was going to be glowing runes on the rock and skulls, but I abandoned that for the sake of time/completion.
I settled with orange tones in the leather.
I wasn't really sure how to get the TMM of the crown to look like a gouge, or how to make his blue skin look like a scar.
I'm not entirely sold on the result, but I'm sure I'll try again some day on a different model.
The Monster Manual suggests blue skin with white/gray/dirty blonde hair is the usual coloration. I tried to go to full white for the highlights of the face to make it the focal point.
I wanted him to look like he was wearing a polar bear pelt, and that all the fur trim was also polar bear.
I tried to make it look a little muddy on the bottom, and on his shoes.
This was how I wanted to weather the inside of the bear skin, to make it look like it had that dried cracked appearance. Not sure how well it shows up in the picture.
These were some WIP shots. The black and white was to figure out how to highlight the sword.
I wanted the sword and stone items to look like shiny flint. I hit the sword and most of the other stone items with high gloss varnish to help sell the effect.
The front and back of the sword.
Finally, some more details of the base and the white dragon victim.
I wanted to base the dragon as a purple in the recesses, similar to the effect going on on the cover of Hoard of the Dragon Queen module.
This was the BONES Temple Dragon I sacrificed. He is smaller, but his tongue sticks out perfectly to sell the dead dragon effect. And he's not as expensive to replace as Deathsleet!
I pained his eyes half-rolled into his head to complete the idea. I tried to freehand some anatomy on there: vertebral body, muscle groups, esophagus, carotid arteries/jugular veins.
I also tried to be accurate with the blood spray coming from both arteries, and didn't want to go too crazy with the gore. Finally, I wanted it to look like his hot blood had melted some of the snow.
Overall, this was a wild ride. The early part of the contest saw him at #2. Then he gave up some ground and sat at #3 for a long time.
Then another Frost Giant (Queen) made a great surge at the end to unseat me out of #3 into 4th place.
To be honest, there were so many awesome paint jobs, I'm just humbled and honored to be in the top 20.
Thanks for looking.
Who's Online 22 Members, 4 Anonymous, 128 Guests (See full list)