Darkmeer

January 2017 Goals

59 posts in this topic

Couldn't sleep last night so put some paint on miniatures.  I know, don't have a heart attack just yet, they aren't done.  I got the camo blocked in on a Adonese Spider that has been sitting around primed for a while now as well as base coating a Malvernian Specter.  I know I said I'd start with Rach or Terran, but these were already sitting out and ready for paint.  The Spider is my unwilling test paint subject as I never came up with a scheme for Adon.

2 people like this

Think I'm getting old... I coulda swore I posted this already o.O almost half way through January - I need to get my stuff together lol

My Goal is:

1. Count/organize upainted minis

2. Count/organize painted minis (armies etc)

3. CLEAN OFF MY DESK! hahaha

It's a disaster atm, as I'm finishing a terrain project and I can't even paint on it if I wanted to. Besides, I want to have a better take on what I'm goign to do this year and get organized so I'm taking this "month" off so to speak, to clean up etc.

4 people like this

So, I have been painting almost every day.  My current status is basically this:

The Warmahordes model is running a bit behind.  I have the main colors done, and now am doing detail work.  He will be done and mailed on Tuesday, but I will not make tomorrow's post.

The Orc army for Kings of War - all of the axe and great axe minis are assembled.  The boars are put together, but need some hot water and green stuff to get them to work.  Haven't even started on the riders yet.  All foot troops are primed, and I should have skin tones on about 40 of them done today, and move on to armor and fabrics.  Another 20 or so are currently primed black, and I will start on their skin tonight or tomorrow.  Or possibly Sunday - I really could use a couple days where figures really start to look like I am making progress.

SAGA army #1 - Anglo Danes.  I have started on a couple of guys, but it was mainly an excuse to fire up the airbrush and get it working again.  I plan on spending some quality time with these guys in the next week or so, and moving them away from primer white.

SAGA army #2 - Milites Christi.  I haven't done anything with these guys, and that needs to change.  So, again, sometime this weekend, I plan on spending an hour or two putting some paint on them.

Arena Rex - still primed, and they won't be changing for a while.  It is not an AdeptiCon event, so they are kind of low on my priority list.

Guild Ball - I have three teams (though two of them are just starter boxes with an extra model or two), but I am hoping to start block out some paint on the Brewers next weekend or so.

Dystopian Wars - I chose a fleet, and I think I have a paint scheme.  Now, I need to build some armies and start painting.  Fortunately, 1/1200 naval (or whatever the scale is) paint fairly quickly, at least to the 3-color, tabletop standard required by AdeptiCon.

So, my painted models for the year right now is 0 models, and 0 pts for the WM 365 challenge.  With the year already 3% done, and nothing to show for it, I would be worried, except that I think some models will start wrapping up in the next 4-5 days, and then things can really get moving.  And, I haven't actually purchased any models this year, aside from some pre-painted Star Wars X-Wing models.  And those don't count.

3 people like this

So far this month I've gotten some things done. I started on Yephima yesterday. I've got 3 non-resin Shadows of Brimstone minis left. I've yet to touch Khanjira, I've been trying to get the base adjusted so it stands without falling over, I'm thinking at this point I may have to put some weights underneath it to keep it upright. I haven't tested any primers on my resin heroes yet. I think I'm going to give them another wash and possibly a soak in some simple green before I try since they've been sitting around a while and have probably accumulated some dust. I'm hoping that the primer I have now will work and I won't have to go through a dozen different types before I find something that sticks.

2 people like this

My January goals are mostly items that I didn't finish in December:

• Finish scenic base for exchange mini (in progress)
  • Inventory my Reaper metal minis so I can plan for 2017 ordering. 
  • Make Reaper metal wish list.
  • Expand my painting techniques though a combination of video watching and test minis.
  • Prep DDS2 terrain for painting.  I have craft paints to try out.

Halfway through the month...

• Success!  Base is complete, pictures have been taken, and now it just needs to go in the mail.  Even with the postal holiday it should be in their hands by the end of the week.
  • Bonus goal - clean paint area.  Currently in progress.  I'm taking a break to post here.
  • Might start that tonight; maybe not.
  • Kinda have a wish list.  Spent too much on KD to really make many mini purchases in the near future.
  • Have watched a few videos in my spare time.  Did a few test strokes on my exchange mini. 
  • Opened my DDS2 box and took out the terrain.  It's a little warped so I'll need to straighten it before I get to painting.

EDIT: Have made good progress on a full inventory of everything except Bones.

4 people like this

• Expand my painting techniques though a combination of video watching and test minis.

• Success!  Base is complete, pictures have been taken, and now it just needs to go in the mail.  Even with the postal holiday it should be in their hands by the end of the week.
  • Bonus goal - clean paint area.  Currently in progress.  I'm taking a break to post here.
  • Kinda have a wish list.  Spent too much on KD to really make many mini purchases in the near future.
  • Have watched a few videos in my spare time.  Did a few test strokes on my exchange mini. 
  • Opened my DDS2 box and took out the terrain.  It's a little warped so I'll need to straighten it before I get to painting.

Spend some time taking care of the mod lines on the DDS terrain. It's worth the effort.

2 people like this

Spend some time taking care of the mod lines on the DDS terrain. It's worth the effort.

My current plan is to power tool off the worst of it and then see about touching up by hand.  The small stairs actually have mold crevices instead of lines.  They are tiny and will hopefully fill when I basecoat, but if not I'll just have to go over them with a few coats of brush on sealer.

4 people like this

I have finished all the genestealers, and all the terminators I need for the game. I still have 7 terminators to paint to call the whole box done but they are in progress and may be done by the end of the month. Coincidentally, this puts me on track for a mini a day average.

4 people like this

I was definitely not fierce in January. I almost burned myself out on anatomy, so I took a step back.

Instead, I'm going to finish sculpting my antlers and paint an entry for the Valentine's thingy.

I'm going to finish my anatomy basics in between those two things, but I'm not going to push myself as hard as I wanted to - it's been a tough month at work and I'm not going to add to that at home too!

2 people like this

I might get one or two done. Weather has not been conducive to setting up the airbrush outside (don't have a hood) for mass base coating.

3 people like this

My 2017 goals are:

• To paint enough Sci-fi miniatures to play the game Future Tales.
  • To paint the remaining figures to fill out my Frostgrave base forces.
  • To paint character figures for the remaining characters in my Call of Cthulhu campaign.
  • To paint mythos creatures for my Call of Cthulhu campaign.
  • To paint the graveyard terrain from Reaper's Bones 3.
  • To paint three entries for painting competitions this year.
  • To paint one Mithril figure each month.

My non-painting goal is to *play* Future Tales, Frostgrave and Call of Cthulhu this year.

In keeping with my 2017 goals my January goals are:

• Two character investigator minis for Call of Cthulhu
  • Two more deepones for Call of Cthulhu
  • and one Mithril miniature.

buckyball

4 people like this

2017 Goals:

-Dwarven Forge terrain. Finish all of KS3, and put a serious dent in KS4.

-Myth board game. Completely paint the stuff from KS1, and put a dent in KS2.

-Cthulhu Wars. Paint the factions and gates, and put a dent in the other expansions.

-Reaper Bones. Paint at least one big model, and also a healthy dose of the rest.

-Deep Wars. Paint enough to field two factions on the table.

These goals are rather lofty. It will mean more painting than any other year. Wish me luck.

I am putting a dent into the first in the list. I have finished the Sewers this month and am about 1/3 done with the Streets so far (at this rate I could be done this month with Streets). That leaves Tudor buildings and some miscellaneous stuff like signs, torches, cart and merchant stalls, etc. to finish off KS3. 

Overall, I am happy with myself so far.

I might add the goblin 7 day challenges to the list and hope to finish half the items on the list...

2 people like this

Welp...  so far so good.  I've gotten somewhat more organized.  So far I have one speed paint done (Bones 1 Bat Swarm).  Working on Seven Chaos Dwarves and a Mushroom monster from Ganesha Games...  I might make it to 3 completed...

2 people like this

So far this month I've gotten some things done. I started on Yephima yesterday. I've got 3 non-resin Shadows of Brimstone minis left. I've yet to touch Khanjira, I've been trying to get the base adjusted so it stands without falling over, I'm thinking at this point I may have to put some weights underneath it to keep it upright. I haven't tested any primers on my resin heroes yet. I think I'm going to give them another wash and possibly a soak in some simple green before I try since they've been sitting around a while and have probably accumulated some dust. I'm hoping that the primer I have now will work and I won't have to go through a dozen different types before I find something that sticks.

Still haven't touched Kahnjira. Still have 3 plastic SoB minis to paint. I'm about 1/2-3/4 of the way done with Yephima (which I need to finish by Saturday.) Still haven't done anything with the resin minis either. 

I have now added DDS2 terrain and dragon to the to do pile. I will probably make that a priority for next month provided I actually finish Kahnjira anytime soon(roughly 3/4ths of the way finished). 

I haven't made more progress, guess I have a few days left...

1 person likes this