aku-chan

Aku-chan paints a big pile of Kingdom Death

62 posts in this topic

Hope you will feel better soon.

Nice start on the project!

2 people like this

that is one pile of plastic!   Take it slow and steady and it will disappear soon enough.

2 people like this

I do love the Kingdom of Death pieces AND the way you do them; ergo, this will be a joy to follow. Have FUN with them all!

2 people like this

ooh this looks fun.

I cant wait to watch the progress. 

sorry about  your back though.  

1 person likes this

This is likely to cost me more funds in the current KS. Hope your back feels better.

1 person likes this

Thanks guys!

I feel better then I did over Christmas, but I think a bit of back pain is something I'm just going to have to learn to live with. I just need to find a painting position that doesn't aggravate it so much.

Not much to report on project wise. I managed to attach Fades arms, and the bulb blew on my lamp.

I've been going through bulbs suspiciously quickly as of late, so I decided to replace the whole lamp this time. Not much I can do until the new one arrives, so I'll just be sitting here twiddling my thumbs for a few days.

1 person likes this

Looking good so far. I really hope your back holds out. I have 4 titanium rods and 12 screws holding my spine together so I know how much a bad back can slow things down. I'm still trying to finish my first KD mini so kudos to you! 

1 person likes this

Ouch! That puts my back problem in perspective.

Still waiting on my new lamp (it's on it's way), but it turns out I do have enough light to assemble things by:-

qHuAXff.jpg

So I finished assembling Fade (sans cape, so I can paint her back), attached a couple legs to Spidicules (too big to photograph), and assembled my Lantern Armoured Survivors (they were a bit of a pain in the bum, as I didn't realize their shoulder guards needed their arms to be in specific positions, and I broke a few things getting them to fit).

Another part of this Kingdom Death resolution thing, is to start playing the game regularly again, trying out some of the expansions and maybe, just maybe getting closer to the end of the game (I don't expect to ever get to the actual end, I suck too much).

So today I had a go at the prologue hunt, sadly I'm playing solo again, my housemate decided the game is just too depressing and bleak (they never got over their survivor being killed by projectile vomit):-

gkcJRY1.jpg

As you can see, it didn't go too well.

Mordecai gained +1 strength by cutting off the Lions paw, only to receive a fatal chest wound in return.

Sebastian was traumatized by the Lions roar and will need to take the next hunt off to recuperate.

Abigail can't use survival any more thanks to a bleed on the brain, so she's now a stay-at-home survivor.

Kimiko survived unscathed, but I panicked and used all my Founding Stones to kill the Lion.

I stuck with it and set up the settlement of Hope Point, we buried Mordecai and Abigail had twins, so things are looking up.

18 people like this

My new lamp arrived and is fantastic!

So I got down to finishing off the Old Man:-

lYJYqI3.jpg

Everything got a highlight of it's basecoat, then some things got an additional highlight:-

Bone bits (Vallejo Bonewhite plus a Sepia Wash),

Hairy bits (1:1 Orange Red/Vallejo Offwhite)

Straps (1:2 Scarlett Red/Orange Red)

His skin (1:1:1 Dwarf Flesh/Rosy Flesh/Vallejo Light Flesh, I also gave him some grey eyebrows and put some Brown Wash into his eyes)

I was going to start another Gorm Survivor, but they did turn out to be a little more complicated painting-wise than I thought, and I don't want to get fed up too early in the project, so I dug out my Starting Survivors to give me something in alternate between, starting with this guy:-

9nGTDnh.jpg

I can never remember the names of the starting four, so he shall be known as Slim Dude.

13 people like this

Had another game today, concentrating on just the core game monsters means fighting another Lion.

As the only Founding Survivor not currently incapacitated, it was up to Kimiko to lead 3 newbies (Trixie, Arthur and Mortimer) on the hunt.

The hunt phase went surprisingly well with Kimiko gaining +1 Luck, as did the start of the Lion fight (Arthur gained +1 Strength), then it all went pear-shaped.

I got trapped in an attack loop where the Lion would grab someone and drag them off, then it's next attack would do massive damage to the person it just grabbed.

Poor Trixie took the brunt of this, getting 2 gaping chest wounds, intestinal damage and lost an arm (she finally just bled to death), and Arthur broke his jaw plus has to sit the next hunt out nursing a leg injury.

I was victorious in the end, and the Settlement phase started well, with Abigail having another set of twins, and Kimiko growing up (gaining +1 Strength), then Sebastian made his sole contribution by getting spooked and breaking his jaw as he panicked.

I'm using him as bait next round.

Nothing to report on the painting front though.

Messing up Slim Dudes skin, and getting a really bad case of the Winter Blues on Sunday killed my painting mojo, but I am feeling a bit more motivated after today's game, so I may do some later.

5 people like this

Painting did occur!

Gave Slim Dude a poke, but I just can't remember how I used to paint the skin on my KD minis, so I've put him aside for now.

Found an already undercoated Dung Beetle Knight in the pile, so that's my current project. Here he is from last night:-

odHIq5Q.jpg

His armour plates have been basecoated in 2:3 Vallejo Hexed Lichen/Vallejo Hawk Turquoise, and the trim very carefully based in 1:1 Bonewhite/Tanned Leather.

And here he is from this afternoon:-

W1PzAFo.jpgJ0bM4sa.jpg

I realized his armour is the last thing I should finish, so continued basecoating him.

He now his nice Red Orange furry bits, and some darker bone bits done in 1:1 Oiled Leather/Tanned Leather.

12 people like this

:wow: That looks daunting. Look forward to seeing more.the stuff you've done so far looks great!
1 person likes this

You know, this is the second time I've run across somebody painting up Kingdom Death and I know nothing about this other than that the minis look . . . mostly really cool (not sure on the big hips).  This has me seriously intrigued and more than a little worried for my poor wallet.  :(

ETA:  Forgot to mention that the paint jobs going on here are stellar!  Keep it up and hope the back starts to cooperate.  I feel your pain and am thankful mine is relatively tame.

Edited by Gargs
1 person likes this

:wow: That looks daunting. Look forward to seeing more.the stuff you've done so far looks great!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm kinda dreading getting that "Crazy Paving" patten on his armour finished.

You know, this is the second time I've run across somebody painting up Kingdom Death and I know nothing about this other than that the minis look . . . mostly really cool (not sure on the big hips).  This has me seriously intrigued and more than a little worried for my poor wallet.  :(

ETA:  Forgot to mention that the paint jobs going on here are stellar!  Keep it up and hope the back starts to cooperate.  I feel your pain and am thankful mine is relatively tame.

Thanks! I actually agree with you on the big hips, they have one sculptor who exaggerates them far too much, to the point where they start looking weird (IMO any ways).

Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) they do tend to be in the minority, or have enough awesomeness going on that I can overlook that flaw.

I haz wings!

sV9if6b.jpg

The wingy bits were a basecoat of Vallejo Ghost Grey, with a wash of Greyshade. Then they were highlighted with layers of 1:1 Ghost Grey/Off-white and pure Off-white, then a glaze of thinned Greyshade to tie it together. They finally got a coat of Gloss Varnish to make them shiny.

The fleshy parts are a base of Old West Rose, with highlights of 2:1 Old West Rose/Light Flesh and a wash of Fleshshade.

I also gave the larger bone parts of knight a wash of Brownshade.

While I was waiting for things to dry, I painted up his good friend Mr Ball:-

CwgYDsg.jpg

This started as a basecoat of Oiled Leather, then drybrushes of Tanned Leather and Bonewhite, followed by a wash of Brownshade, then further drybrushes of Oiled Leather, Tanned Leather and Bonewhite, then finally a glaze of thinned Sepiashade.

One rather neat happy accident that happened while painting Mr Ball was his flatter areas ended up with visible brushstrokes when I basecoated him, but I caught these when I was drybrushing and it's left him with quite a nice textured appearance.

14 people like this