Erp...I meant Da Vinci. My brain kept telling my fingers MIchelangelo :D

Anyway, my DA VINCI copy is done, 5" or 6" graphite (super tiny for me). Going to be a thank you card for the friend who bought me the book.

Sketchbook77.jpg

• Like 6

Ah, no worries.. I have studied both. I actually have a copy of the DaVinci sketchbook but the Michelangelo book I was referencing was on loan from the local library. TBH, a lot of their drawing look really similar to me.

If you like that style check out some Caravaggio too.. I honestly think I prefer him to DaVinci and Michelangelo..

• Like 1

Absolutely. Caravaggio is probably my favorite painter. There's a great large format book available on Amazon. I have a WIP canvas with a copy of Judith...

• Like 1

I bought a large format Caravaggio book when Borders was going out of business. It is currently hiding from me.. probably with my copy of the Divine Comedy :(

Copy of Kirby's illustration of Iron Man for the cover of Tales of Suspense #39 (1963). Graphite on bristol sketch paper, 9x12.

Sketchbook79.jpg

• Like 4

Had a plein air drawing lesson with my painting instructor today in Little Falls. Got a late start due to rain, had about an hour before the actors had to hit the stage for some Shakespeare. Love the scene they fell into.

Charcoal, 14x17

Plein_air1.jpg

• Like 4

Tried this one on newsprint, it was pretty difficult to shade. Graphite on newsprint, 9x12.

Sketchbook84.jpg

Some WIPs:

Sketchbook84a.jpg

Sketchbook84b.jpg

Sketchbook84c.jpg

• Like 2

Been a while. Most of the sketchbook stuff is general figure structural stuff that I've posted before, since I'm reviewing Steve Huston's book again. I find it important to draw my way through my instructional books. As I read a page, I replicate all the drawings on it.

Also taking a lot of time working on a proper method Bargue drawing (I'm 20 hours in and not half done). I just updated the blog with more info so head over there if you want to read about it, but here's the sexy:

Plate_49_Construct.jpg

Plate_49_articulation.jpg

• Like 7