Sign in to follow this  
Jessie

77396: Olivia, Female Cleric

I like your use of shading and highlighting.

There's one thing I don't understand. Have you used a filter on the image? It seems more like an illustration than a photograph.

• Like 1

I like your use of shading and highlighting.

There's one thing I don't understand. Have you used a filter on the image? It seems more like an illustration than a photograph.

No filter. Might just be a result of poor lighting. I use sunshine and had been waiting a few weeks fkrv good light and just got impatient and took my photos today. But I think I waited too close to midday.

I agree on the color choices. The muted earth tones really work for a cleric, while the blue adds a spot if interest. Nicely done!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      As a fan of Warhammer 40k since it was called Rogue Trader, I have found the new direction of the post-Kirby era GW to be uplifting and with the release of many interesting minis I have begun spending money on them again.
      Kill Team: Rogue Trader is one such set I have bought recently.
      The Gellerpox Infected are the "bad guys" of the set. Formerly crewmembers and shipboard vermin that have been granted some of Grandfather Nurgles gifts (you know, the ones that keep on giving!) and have ...evolved.

lots more pics beneath, but you have to want to see them...

• By Maledrakh
      Forge World's Daemon Prince of Nurgle! I like this one so much better than the GW space marine daemon prince mini.

I bought this second hand some time ago, and now that I have looked at the forgeworld site to see what the name of this mini actually is (turns out it is simply "Daemon Prince of Nurgle". For some reason I thought it was a named character.) I see that I am missing a second hose part between the barrel and the weapon arm. Oh well. I won't be bothering with that bit then now that it is painted, after all it is not as if I missed it neither when building nor painting.

I painted it as follows: First an airbrushed black undercoat followed by a light grey zenithal. On top of this I sprayed some thin leathery brown and bone-ish colour (don't remember exactly which ones, they are Vallejo model or game Air at any rate. I did this some time ago).
      Now that I put this one on my painting table, I drybrushed the whole thing fairy heavily with a pale flesh colour, followed by dabbing a lot of different colours here and there when I had some colour left over on my palette. (I often have some unfinished, not really abandoned pieces just standing around my desk that I give a semi-random coat of colour to now and then, with only a partial idea of how I want them to end up,  gradually completing them over a fairly long period of time. Right now this was actually the last one of those. I will need to pick some random minis to start off again soon. At some point the semi-random painting reaches critical mass and I complete the mini.)
      At any rate, critical mass was achieved and I decided to finish it. After making sure that everything that needed colour had some, I gave it a heavy wash of Citadel Druchii Violet Wash, together with Athonian Camoshade and some dabbings of Carroburg Crimson and Coelia Greenshade washes here and there. All applied while the previous wash was still wet.
      Knocking back the resulting purple by carefully drybrushing with several fleshtones, the gun-barrels and the barrel-barrel were done in Scale 75 Black Metal, followed by heavy rusting and weathering with oranges and light turquoise. The unwashed (greatly unclean!) apron was touched up with some light grey, Teeth and nails in bone-tones and the barrel was finished with some Battlefront Sicily Yellow and some Pale Flesh for that Fallout radiotoxic barrel-feel.
      I did the base in black flock, using a dark brown bushtuft with black flock glued on to represent the aura of decay surrounding the Prince killing off the vegetation around him.

And that 'lil nurgling taking a bath in the barrel is just so cute!

Daemon Prince of Nurgle
      Forge World
      Warhammer 40.000 / Age of Sigmar Chaos faction 
      Resin
      65mm base
    • By Maledrakh
      This is an old metal Cthonian aka Carnivorous Worm, from the Call of Cthulhu line made by RAFM co. 

It was painted in less than an hour, entirely by drybrushing up from a black undercoat. No washes or layering used.
      The base is bespoke 3D printed and measures 85x60mm.

I believe this miniature still is available from RAFM.

• By Maledrakh
      Urutaa is a Maori word meaning "pestilence" and "plague" and "fever". It is also a sound that evokes "METAL!". So I will call the whole army Urutaa. Because they kill you FILTHY!
      I bought heavily into the new editon 40k and especially the Death Guard when they were released. At the same time I also bought some Daemons of Nurgle (Starting with the Blightwar set) as I always have been more partial to Nurgle than the other chaos gods and these would be a good fit both for the Death Guard and for my budding Maggotkin army for Age of Sigmar. Or so the self-justification for spending all that money on some rather expensive plastic went.
      And, as usual, I am getting round to them late. I begin with these Plaguebearers to establish the esthetic I would like to have across the army.

How I painted these:
      I started with a grey undercoat, and further undercoated by spray in an orangy leather brown from below and a sandy yellow brown from above. On top of this I painted assorted details in a lot of different colours, mostly purples and reds with a dash of green here and there. Light grey for the horns, dark brown for the claws. Pink for eyes. The weapons were basecoated in Scalecolour Caribbean Blue (a bright turquoise that is more or less the same as citadel nihilakh oxide) and drybrushed heavily with Vallejo Tinny Tin (a dark bronze like the old Citadel Tin Bitz).
      When I had had enough of dotting in bits and slopping on slashes of colour here and there I gave each mini including the weapons a heavy wash of Citadel Druuchi Violet Wash followed immediately when still wet with a moderate to heavy wash of just the head and upper body with Citadel Athonian Camoshade Wash (which is a greenish brown or a brownish green). This has the effect of clearing off much of the violet leaving the filthy green, and also mixing with the violet at the edges, creating a nice gradual colour transition effect.
      I take care to avoid the washes pooling by drawing off most of the pools with a damp brush.
      Also, the violet interacts with the sandy and orangy brown beneath, creating a rather splendig purple tone. It really is much more easy to do than it looks!
      When the washes are dry, I go over some of the details such as eyes and teeth, and add some more colour here and there.
      On the bases, I first glued down some black flock around the feet, and when dry I added a few appropriately dead-looking tufts and my normal flockmix. The effect is to illustrate how they pollute the ground they are walking on.
      I am pleased with the results, it is a slighly more labourious method than I did for my older plaguebearers sometime in the late 1990s (the balow have updated bases and three additional minis painted in the same style to make the legal unit size of 10:)

but is still quite quick and easy, and also looks much better.
    • By WhiteWulfe
      I say attempted because of two reasons...  First is this is the show off thread, and secondly, no official confirmation yet on the dates since @buglips*the*goblin has been occupied with other things, although a part of me suspects that @OneBoot might vouch.  At least on the times 

WIP Thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83285-whitewulfe-attemps-the-seven-day-goblin-challenge-dragons-dont-share-2014-edition/

This post may or may not be wordy, I haven't decided yet.  I'm tired, I'm sore, my eyes burn, but...  It. Is. DONE!  At least in my eyes.  A lot of things aren't as well done as I'd like, but that's what happens when you lose the equivalent of almost two full days to surprise contractors.  Thankfully I had terrain to work on while they took up most of that time!

Rules thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/

Just what is the 7-Day Goblin Challenge?  Well, I summarize it as follows: Stupidly large mini, comically small brush.  Right now, it's four different minis you can choose from, you can only use up to a size 0 brush, aaaaand you have all of seven days to finish it.  That's it.  No airbrushes, no fancy paper towel tricks, no smearing paint with your fingers (as that's a "brush" that's bigger than size 0!), no direct application of paint, no aerosol cans... You get the idea. ^_^;;;

Start time: October 27th, at 09:05 MST/MDT (aka -07:00 GMT)
      End time: Nov 3rd, at 02:02 MST/MDT

Getting all of this to fit in my mock lighting setup was an absolute pain, doubly so since I had to steal hubby's painting light to try and get even lighting across things. o_O

^Starting setup, with time displayed

^Ending setup, with time displayed.  At this point, I technically had 7 hours and 3 minutes left in my seven days, and by the time I'm done writing this it'll probably be a full hour later (something about editing down over forty pictures, and that's AFTER I filtered redundant pics out of the equation o_O)

In order to not make this an absolute pain to scroll through, I'll showcase key pictures, with additional detail pics being hidden behind spoiler tags.

^Obviously the main attraction is first.

Additional dragon pictures:

Terrain details:

First hero is apparently the dwarf cleric...  At least with the order I took pics!

Additional pics:

^The sorceress~

Additional pics:

^The thief/rogue/sneaky one!

Additional pics:

The... Ranger/archer guy!

Additional pics:

^And last, but not least...  Sir Purple of Shiny, as more or less named by OneBoot...  Well, inspired by due to purple and how shiny his armour was for quite some time...

Additional pics!

Now, comes the slightly... I dunno, philisophical part of it all.  Would I do things differently next time?  Most definitely.  I'd prefer to give my heroes more time, and also make sure I have brushes that I trust well enough to do eyes.  I had to pull out my 000 Reaper brush to try the eyes....  I also wouldn't wait until after 1am  in the final hours of the challenge to do said eyes either.  I'd also not recommend losing a good chunk of time to surprise contractors either, or at least keep painting as best one can - although that first day of surprise contractors, uhm....  Yeah, anything other than priming would have been impossible while they were doing work, the entire building was vibrating.

Would I recommend this kind of thing to others?  Sure, why not...  If you're willing to do a reasonable amount of planning ahead of time.  I'd also strongly recommend having time off while you do this, AND not being the person who cooks.  Assigning cooking duties to someone else (or, y'know, having a freezer/fridge full of ready to make meals) would probably also be rather handy.  If you're in a relationship, or living with others (be they roommates, or parents, or whatever), DEFINITELY make sure to talk it over with them.  I'm lucky, I'm married to an enabler, and by that he's the main reason I was able to do the challenge.  That and he was quite happy to work on relic quests in FF XIV:ARR while I painted 

Oh, and make sure you've actually GOT groceries to cook with if you are going to be the cook!  Don't have to run out a few times during said challenge, DOUBLY SO if you happen to have to WALK everywhere when you do said errands.  No, not even to go and get your package of big stompy robots, you silly fox!

I went into this with a rather basic plan...  Colours picked out for the heroes (but apparently only their capes/cloaks), and a basic colour pattern idea on the dragon.  I'd recommend not winging it like I did, because it brings up some rather interesting (and annoying!) problems as you go, like how on earth you're going to make it work, and blend it all together.

Will I give another one a shot?  We shall see.  Obviously there's recovering from this one, but most importantly is this - hubby would have to say yes again 

...I'm going to go get sleep now!
  • Who's Online   33 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)